Pinnacle

I’m not a big fan of Pinnacle on Reach. I know a lot of people share the same feeling and clearly there is a problem with the map as it was removed from the arena.

My biggest problem is games usually devolve into armor lock circle jerks or grenade spamfests in the low area by the shotgun. Half of the map is irrelevant. There is no reason to even pay attention to the Banshee pad because nobody goes there.

My question is how would you fix it? or can it not be fixed?

I’d like to see how it plays with the Banshee put back, I’d do it, but I always forget about it.

its got some pretty bad spawns

I think the big problem is that old maps + new gameplay usually don’t mix. And if you want people to play to the new gameplay, you shouldn’t start with old maps a new.

It’s not that the map is bad, it’s that old habits die hard. All new maps would have helped very much. It would have been like ripping the bandaid off, not the slow peel it’s seemed to have turned into for some.

Oh to be a developer, I do not envy. I do thank you though.

I think that Pinnacle should be left in Halo 2.
It does not play well in reach.

Don’t even get me started on infection on that map…

It’s important to note that Pinnacle is DEFINITELY not a 1:1 remake of Ascension. If it was, it would play better… Weapon spawns, etc, aside, there are quite a few differences. First of all, the two towers are much smaller. The “main” tower has had its back nook removed, the problem being that that was a fun spot to swipe a Banshee, a Sniper, and fly up to and snipe in Halo 2. No more. Also, the “wall” behind the sniper nest is now too easily reachable.

Second, quite a few of the walkways were made either more narrow or more broad. A minor change, but a notable one. Also, the on-the-bridge powerup has been removed, along with the Banshee. That makes one entire section of the map completely useless; a waste of space. Also, the center bowl of the map was more of a bowl. In Reach, you can traverse or see over it fine. In Halo 2, you had to jump over the edge or already have the momentum to go from bowl to grass, and it actually somewhat aided in breaking a pursuer’s sightline (you couldn’t see from sniper tower to other side of the bowl if you crouched in the right spot).

All this said, the reason why you hate it is that it frequently devolves into sniper/DMR fights between towers, except that one side of the map gets a Sniper, Rockets, and a Shotgun, while the other only gets a further-away-than-the-other-side Sniper. In Halo 2 the Banshee added a large dynamic and there was reason to use that side of the map, but it’s simply just there now; doesn’t even provide good cover or bottleneck opportunities. It’s a shame, really. It’s not to do with Reach’s gameplay, just how poorly Bungie remade the map.

Its just like the the map “Last Resort” in halo 3 (not the looks im trying to compare a map thats not in reach). In 2 theres a map that looks like last resort in 3. It stinks.

I rather like Pinnacle, mostly due to the lovely sniper spots. However Blue team seems to have a really tough set of spawns. Especially in SWAT where its just a constant, spawn, dead, spawn, dead.

> Its just like the the map “Last Resort” in halo 3 (not the looks im trying to compare a map thats not in reach). In 2 theres a map that looks like last resort in 3. It stinks.

I loved Zanzibar. And Last Resort was a fantastic improvement over it in my opinion.

I think the worst thing about Pinnacle is its spawns for Blue Team. It feels too easy to become spawn trapped when Red Team have the high ground on every other part of the map. People do use the “Banshee spawn” platform too, especially for this purpose and in Snipers. Map movement isn’t a problem; I think a lot of the map does get used, and overall I do enjoy the map, its just a shame about the spawning for Blue Team.

When an ‘avgerage’ or less player like me can spawn kill on a map, there’s a problem, LOL.

> Its just like the the map “Last Resort” in halo 3 (not the looks im trying to compare a map thats not in reach). In 2 theres a map that looks like last resort in 3. It stinks.

Are you trying to imply Zanzibar was Last Resort-influenced? O.o

It’s not that crazy. Lockout is based on the Cage. But in Zanzibar’s case, Last Resort is the spiritual successor and did come after.

I don’t have a problem with Pinnicle, but the blue base could use some work.

> It’s important to note that Pinnacle is DEFINITELY not a 1:1 remake of Ascension. If it was, it would play better… Weapon spawns, etc, aside, there are quite a few differences. First of all, the two towers are much smaller. The “main” tower has had its back nook removed, the problem being that that was a fun spot to swipe a Banshee, a Sniper, and fly up to and snipe in Halo 2. No more. Also, the “wall” behind the sniper nest is now too easily reachable.
>
> Second, quite a few of the walkways were made either more narrow or more broad. A minor change, but a notable one. Also, the on-the-bridge powerup has been removed, along with the Banshee. That makes one entire section of the map completely useless; a waste of space. Also, the center bowl of the map was more of a bowl. In Reach, you can traverse or see over it fine. In Halo 2, you had to jump over the edge or already have the momentum to go from bowl to grass, and it actually somewhat aided in breaking a pursuer’s sightline (you couldn’t see from sniper tower to other side of the bowl if you crouched in the right spot).
>
> All this said, the reason why you hate it is that it frequently devolves into sniper/DMR fights between towers, except that one side of the map gets a Sniper, Rockets, and a Shotgun, while the other only gets a further-away-than-the-other-side Sniper. In Halo 2 the Banshee added a large dynamic and there was reason to use that side of the map, but it’s simply just there now; doesn’t even provide good cover or bottleneck opportunities. It’s a shame, really. It’s not to do with Reach’s gameplay, just how poorly Bungie remade the map.

Yes. I don’t agree with the changes Bungie made.

More weight on the blue’s shotgun spawns might help spawn killing a bit, as I usually see it happen around that ledge that drops down to rockets. More wight on that shotgun area would spawn the blues there when reds are near that ledge. Hopefully, anyway.

I like Pinnacle, but for other reasons.

I hate Pinnacle. Especially if you’re Blue Team on SWAT, or if you are the Zombies. Bungie dropped the ball with a lot of maps in Reach.