Ping latency delay

Wish they allowed you to see your ping in halo. I haven’t been playing it much because it feels delayed to me whenever i play. Halo has always been my favorite game not just favorite FPS game but favorite game period. Ive been playing Arma 3 on PC and i like how it shows your ping to servers so you know which not to join.
When i check my xbox settings it shows 89ms latency but on pc when i check ping in games its around 40 - 70ms, maybe its just xbox?

Maybe it depends, are you on a wireless connection? I’m sure there is times where ping is high and sometimes lower. If not than Xbox is the problem xD

<mark>This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.</mark>
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

P-reparing
I-s
N-ot
G-ood!

Does your ping fluctuate while on arma 3?

Viewing the ping in your Xbox Settings only shows the ping to one of the main live servers. The ping that matters for games like Halo 5 is the ping to the Azure servers where the actual matches are hosted when you play. Your ping will probably be at a similar level to other dedicated server games on PC.

80-100 is good on Xbox. You have to remember that it’s going to be a little higher than PC because you have more things you need to run through. Anything below 80 is great above 100 isn’t bad untill you hit around 140

> 2533274875982754;4:
> Does your ping fluctuate while on arma 3?

I dont think i can check my ping in game but i can see the ping to server before i join it.

> 2533274807067577;5:
> Viewing the ping in your Xbox Settings only shows the ping to one of the main live servers. The ping that matters for games like Halo 5 is the ping to the Azure servers where the actual matches are hosted when you play. Your ping will probably be at a similar level to other dedicated server games on PC.

thats why im wondering why i get such a delay in halo 5. Its very noticeable

> 2533274805919869;7:
> thats why im wondering why i get such a delay in halo 5. Its very noticeable

What kind of delay is it? Like you throw a grenade and it doesn’t throw on screen for half a second? Are both your PC and Xbox connected with ethernet or wifi? Do you play on the same screen for both?

> 2533274807067577;8:
> > 2533274805919869;7:
> > thats why im wondering why i get such a delay in halo 5. Its very noticeable
>
> What kind of delay is it? Like you throw a grenade and it doesn’t throw on screen for half a second? Are both your PC and Xbox connected with ethernet or wifi? Do you play on the same screen for both?

yea they are connected with an Ethernet cable and i use the same monitor for both. Its things like delayed nades or first 2 shots on a guy dont register or your last shots when they are one shot dont do anything.

> 2533274805919869;9:
> > 2533274807067577;8:
> > > 2533274805919869;7:
> > > thats why im wondering why i get such a delay in halo 5. Its very noticeable
> >
> > What kind of delay is it? Like you throw a grenade and it doesn’t throw on screen for half a second? Are both your PC and Xbox connected with ethernet or wifi? Do you play on the same screen for both?
>
> yea they are connected with an Ethernet cable and i use the same monitor for both. Its things like delayed nades or first 2 shots on a guy dont register or your last shots when they are one shot dont do anything.

Hmm, well seems like it’s either your connection quality fluctuating, which seems unlikely if other game work fine, or just general server instability on Microsoft’s end. Is it a constant delay all the time, or just happens often enough that you notice it?

other people play halo just fine without a delay maybe its just me

> 2533274875982754;4:
> Does your ping fluctuate while on arma 3?

Ping times would fluctuate on any game played online, all of the time.

You can’t entirely trust what Xbox live latency is and to compare it to other servers. I think

Like xboxlive is 170, titanfall London servers are 30 most of EU servers dont go above 60. During a game of titanfall while connected to a London server it has always been 60 even though it says 30 on server selection.

Ive been experiencing delay also. Its strange to explain because we have no way of knowing what server we are connecting to… And I do find it strange that Halo5 doesn’t have server selection based on ping… That would tell a person a lot of good info… But what I have noticed searching solo on focused doesn’t mean much. Last night in arena all my team members were scattered from all over the US. That normally means problems with delay or latency Early on when Halo was first released I never had players to far from me if I solo searched… Now its a totally different story… Im getting everyone from every where! lol…

Zippy.

> 2533274805919869;11:
> other people play halo just fine without a delay maybe its just me

It may not just be you… Ask these other people where there from that aren’t having any issues. Chances are they may live closer to one of these dedicated servers. Which makes a big difference.

Zippy.

> 2533274805919869;11:
> other people play halo just fine without a delay maybe its just me

It’s not just you, there’s a whole thread with thousands of replies from us here in Europe having this issue with Halo 5. Titanfall 2 gives me a 22ms ping to the London data centre, when in game you can check it by bringing up the score board, and in game it fluctuates from 28ms to 50ms, I have seen it spike higher than 50ms, but rarely

Halo 5 is not nearly as good, friends have told me they’ve seen Halo 5 at 120ms for entire matches, I don’t know how they see that in Halo 5, a special router perhaps. However, I believe them after what was posted in the European thread and my own experience, ping rates of 120ms are not acceptable.

> 2533274805919869;1:
> Wish they allowed you to see your ping in halo. I haven’t been playing it much because it feels delayed to me whenever i play. Halo has always been my favorite game not just favorite FPS game but favorite game period. Ive been playing Arma 3 on PC and i like how it shows your ping to servers so you know which not to join.
> When i check my xbox settings it shows 89ms latency but on pc when i check ping in games its around 40 - 70ms, maybe its just xbox?

I wish I could play Halo @ 89ms

It seems that latency issues are becoming a wider issue for the whole halo community.

Due to the incredibly strange way in which 343i have designed the matchmaking system (e.g forcing EU players on to US servers 9/10 times) players out side of North America have been experiencing pings of in excess of 100ms since day one! - and the wonderful folk at 343i haven’t even formally acknowledged this…

May I also remind you, that they consider pings of up to 100ms acceptable for a competitive shooter - see release notes of a prior community update (I can’t remember which one exactly… it’s archived on waypoint though if you want to trawl though the BS)

Perhaps now the “target” market has started to whinge they might pull their fingers out… even then I doubt any “solution” would alleviate the entire world-wide communities latency issues, as a result, the term “world-wide” is fast becoming redundant to Halo.

Latency on wired xbox is always about 150 for me :frowning: but last couple of days I’m getting locked in warzone loading screen with white buffer circle and occasional ‘pause’ mid game. Ping checks when not xbox is usually about 9 but when repeatedly check in short succession it fluctuates wildly between that and 280!! Is that normal? I haven’t played other games but played enough halo 5 to know that server connection has ridiculous effective on game ( separate to my current issue! )

> 2533274880684891;17:
> > 2533274805919869;1:
> > Wish they allowed you to see your ping in halo. I haven’t been playing it much because it feels delayed to me whenever i play. Halo has always been my favorite game not just favorite FPS game but favorite game period. Ive been playing Arma 3 on PC and i like how it shows your ping to servers so you know which not to join.
> > When i check my xbox settings it shows 89ms latency but on pc when i check ping in games its around 40 - 70ms, maybe its just xbox?
>
> I wish I could play Halo @ 89ms
>
> It seems that latency issues are becoming a wider issue for the whole halo community.
>
> Due to the incredibly strange way in which 343i have designed the matchmaking system (e.g forcing EU players on to US servers 9/10 times) players out side of North America have been experiencing pings of in excess of 100ms since day one! - and the wonderful folk at 343i haven’t even formally acknowledged this…
>
> May I also remind you, that they consider pings of up to 100ms acceptable for a competitive shooter - see release notes of a prior community update (I can’t remember which one exactly… it’s archived on waypoint though if you want to trawl though the BS)
>
> Perhaps now the “target” market has started to whinge they might pull their fingers out… even then I doubt any “solution” would alleviate the entire world-wide communities latency issues, as a result, the term “world-wide” is fast becoming redundant to Halo.

I remember reading that also… 343i said something to the effect that a ping of 100-120ms was acceptable… The minute I read that I knew they truly had no clue of what a good ping was. They are just trying to cover there tracks. Because any real gamer knows pings that high will result in very poor play. And to be honest I wouldn’t even play with a ping that high. It has come to me that the team 343i has for there networking and or code design needs a lot of fine tuning… They need to focus on the networking end of this a lot more then what they have. No good will come of this game or prior games if they don’t start trying to improve the performance on the network end of it. 343 has to realize something is up! The thread 343i started in the support section on latency and disconnects has grown to where they now need to start doing something. Or at the very least say something… Very poor communication on there part!

Zippy.

Viewing ping on Xbox shows it to the server in Seattle (don’t ask how I know that) sometimes you will connect to servers in Asia, Oceania, Europe and US.