Pillar of Autumn Space-battle /Drydock

At SDCC 2010 the new heralds of the Halo universe, stated that the books, video games, comics, anime are all part of “real” canon or something to that flavor. ( I think it was Peter David) They seemed real proud of this fact because it set the Halo universe apart from other fictions. That being said, in Eric Nylunds book HALO: THE FALL OF REACH, and Bungie’s HALO:REACH there appears to be an overlap between the Pillar or Autumn’s story arch. In Eric Nylunds book: after Reach is attacked, Pillar of Autumn heads to Reach in which it gets damaged and chewed up in the space battle ( which is fine because the ship was designed to take a beating). The Spartans II where dispached, some to Gamma station to enforce Cole Protocol, some to Reach to Defend the super MAC gun’S generators. Chief finished his job at gamma station enforcing the Cole Protocol boards Pillar of Autumn ( with a dead Linda-043 and Johnson). At that point Pillar of Autumn if forced to flee Reach , while abandoning the other Spartans II planetside. Pillar of Autumn is guided by Cortana to Halo Installation 04; begin HALO:CE. In Bungie’s HALO:REACH Pillar of Autumn is in drydock at the Aszod ship-breaking facility on the planet’s surface( which I do not like because it is not fluid story telling regardless of were a person interprets the drydock scenario in the timeline, pillar of autumn landing plantside to be repair or refit during any part of the Reach battle seems DUMB to me for alot of reasons that i won’t go into detail.) Also having the Spartan in the cyrotube "easter egg"at the end (obviously John-117 or Linda-043) futher gave me the impression that Pillar of Autumn went planetside after the gamma station mission, and would have given the Spartan IIs that where abandon on Reach a perfect chance to Board Pillar of Autumn completely changing the whole story arch of the universe starting with HALO:CE. The easy cop out would to say the easter egg is not cannon, and just for fun, but it doesn’t feel like a “fun” type of easter egg, it feels like the type of easter egg that really hints and impacts the story. Easter egg aside, the Space Battle/ Drydock scenario, seems to be a giant loop hole. Looking for others interpretations of events overlapping between the book and game.

Tricky one, isn’t it? The game’s credits state that Nylund wrote the story for the game too, it begs the question: Were you drunk?!

The Spartan in cryo has seen an absolute uproar of people that have split in two; some say it’s Linda, others say it’s John. Going by the book, I say it can be neither because the Autumn was never dry docked in Aszod. Bungie could have kept the game faithful to the books, but they decided to set the battle a month earlier (rewriting other significant events like Sigma Octanus IV) and mess around with the S-IIIs by saying that Carter, Jun and Emile survived Operation: PROMETHEUS - when Ghosts of Onyx specifically states that all 300 Spartans of Alpha Company were killed.

Hmm, Halopedia simply states that at 0647 hours (on the timeline) The Pillar of Autumn attempts to retreat from the system, but remains there for unknown reasons and heads for the Aszod ship-breaking yards on Reach.

First mistake you made was going Halopedia for help with “canon”. While it’s a noble attempt, don’t believe for a single moment that they know what they are talking about.

Fact of the matter is, the PoA scenario we see in the game is incompatible with the book.

It’s a break in canon and right now there is no explanation. Also it is John in the Pillar at the end, it’s an easter egg, and as such is not canon.

It’s been discussed to death and is the biggest issue and the only thing that any logical speculation can’t fix. If dates or events are officially changed that will be fine, but I would expect a patch to the game or a new release of the book if one were changed.

Real wise, how long was the Pillar of Autumn docked?

I haven’t read the books yet, so I go to Halopedia to find out what happened. It’s a pretty decent compilation I think.

I agree. It’s not necessarily the end-all be-all of Halo canon, but Tony and the guys over there do a GREAT job of trying to regulate as much consitency as possibly with a TON of info covering a huge universe.

As far as PoA being at dry dock vs in space… sigh, right now it’s just one of those things. It doesn’t make sense, it’s contradictory, and we are just going to have to wait and hope that it gets explained/resolved. I for one though, refuse to let it ruin the entire universe for me. Half of (real life) human history has been retconned at one point or another… :wink:

Grim

> I for one though, refuse to let it ruin the entire universe for me. Half of (real life) human history has been retconned at one point or another… :wink:
>
> Grim

THIS !

Off topic - When you gonna get Grim IV to join the party?
:slight_smile:

Lol, oh I’m sure he’ll be leaping into the fray soon enough. He couldn’t possibly resist it, lol.

And thanks for the opinion affirmation… :wink:

Grim

> > I for one though, refuse to let it ruin the entire universe for me. Half of (real life) human history has been retconned at one point or another… :wink:
> >
> > Grim
>
> THIS !
>
> Off topic - When you gonna get Grim IV to join the party?
> :slight_smile:

Seconded! (I almost feel that this point should be shared at HMF for those folks who now say they can’t believe in any Halo story due to the retcons… :P)

Man it’s these days I really wish I could talk to Nylund and Bungie to figure out what they were doing.

> Half of (real life) human history has been retconned at one point or another… :wink:
>
> Grim

Yup, I think you and I have been singing that same tune for quite a while now.
Its all about how you choose to approach the Halo fiction.
We can view the Halo-verse as if we are living it, but we can also view the novels, games etc as various pieces of historical accounts of the events at the time.

It’d be nice if everything was consistant, but truth be told I’ve found some of the changes have allowed for an increase in the potential of the fiction. If we were to treat FoR as absolute gospel, we would never have seen any Sangheili prior to Reach.
That would seem to limit a lot of potential and is something that has since been discounted several times.

Its also somewhat at odds with the general nature of the Flood to suggest there is some kind of biological immunity possible in the case of Sgt Johnson and “Boren’s Syndrome”. The HGN’s account, where by an infection form simply never latched onto him and he escaped by being a bloody good soldier (A Spartan I in fact as we have since confirmed) is an overall more simple and elegant explanation.

Amen, brother. :wink:

Grim

> We can view the Halo-verse as if we are living it, but we can also view the novels, games etc as various pieces of historical accounts of the events at the time.

Great point! I certainly have looked at the established canon as pieces of historical knowledge that have been slowly but continuously provided to us in tasty morsels. :slight_smile:

Don’t forget about the radio comm chatter transcripts discussing certain other Spartan teams on Reach during the the fall.

I think most of the issues will be addressed as appropriate in future. Retcons aren’t new to Halo.

> I think most of the issues will be addressed as appropriate in future. Retcons aren’t new to Halo.

That’s the thing. I’m actually fine with retcons when they are necessary.
One of my biggest concerns with 343i, and I’ll say this out right here, is that rather than cutting loses and just making an outright retcon here and there, there seems to be this effort to try and reconcile just about everything, no matter how at odds certain things are.
I’m worried about a series of far-fetched or poorly veiled explanations instead of just saying something has simply changed.