Phil Spencer comments on H2A

From IGN: Microsoft on Halo 5, Halo 2 Anniversary - IGN

> Does this mean Halo 2 Anniversary won’t happen? Because surely Microsoft wouldn’t release two Master Chief-starring first-person Halo games in the same year, right? “I’ll be open,” Spencer began. “We have discussions about it. It’s more about the right time and making sure that we really would do the right thing for the franchise.
>
> He elaborated: “The Halo Anniversary that we did was as much about the launch of the first Xbox as well. It was a culmination of many things coming together. It would probably run out of steam if we were trying to think about, ‘Okay, what’s 10 years old now?’ It’s definitely more from the game itself, the experience that we’re able to bring to market. Less about ‘Is the last digit a zero?’ in terms of its anniversary.”

If I’m honest, I have no idea what the hell he was trying to say. I guess there’s still hope for H2A is what I gathered from that interview…

> From IGN: Microsoft on Halo 5, Halo 2 Anniversary - IGN
>
>
>
> > Does this mean Halo 2 Anniversary won’t happen? Because surely Microsoft wouldn’t release two Master Chief-starring first-person Halo games in the same year, right? “I’ll be open,” Spencer began. “We have discussions about it. It’s more about the right time and making sure that we really would do the right thing for the franchise.
> >
> > He elaborated: “The Halo Anniversary that we did was as much about the launch of the first Xbox as well. It was a culmination of many things coming together. It would probably run out of steam if we were trying to think about, ‘Okay, what’s 10 years old now?’ It’s definitely more from the game itself, the experience that we’re able to bring to market. Less about ‘Is the last digit a zero?’ in terms of its anniversary.”
>
> If I’m honest, I have no idea what the hell he was trying to say. I guess there’s still hope for H2A is what I gathered from that interview…

It’s just lip service but he did not say they have no plans on doing it. I think they are beginning to realize this will not go away. What he should have said was ‘we are afraid that and old game will knock the socks off of any new Halo they produce’. If 343 does not believe in themselves then neither do I.

Well, what I am getting out of this is that it is likely to happen. However, if it released on the actually 10 year anniversary it would come too close to another Halo title. So it wont technically be on the 10th anniversary, but at a later date.

> Well, what I am getting out of this is that it is likely to happen. However, if it released on the actually 10 year anniversary it would come too close to another Halo title. So it wont technically be on the 10th anniversary, but at a later date.

That’s what I got out of it too

Why does it have to be an anniversary title? I don’t think it has to be. Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary was a celebration of that game’s campaign, Halo’s multiplayer history, and the Xbox phenomenon itself, but just because that’s the assumed precedent doesn’t mean that they can’t just make a game. The arbitrary “Anniversary” in the title is just a time window coincidence.

They could release a Halo 2 HD in Spring 2014 and everyone would be ecstatic about it. Give it the full-on treatment, too - expensive retexturing, revamped and modernized lighting effects, modernized sound effects, amazing Halo 4-like cutscenes, etc - and everyone would be happy about it. Don’t waste time on a Classic mode button just for posterity, either, unless the function is improved to be almost instant. But yes, drop it in Spring 2014 as Halo 2 HD or even just Halo 2 (but be sure to market it as an extensively-reworked port) on both Xbox One and Xbox 360 as a way to tide Halo fans over for that summer.

Include a small section of its original multiplayer - just a relative handful of classic maps, but all the gametypes - and some modernized Matchmaking functions, and even the multiplayer fans would be bought. It’s a no-brainer, this one.

The Spring 2014 timeline is a bit too soon now, unless it’s already in the works, though.