Petition 343 for a campaign apology

I would like to start a petition to get 343 Industries to apologize for Halo 5’s campaign. I would like to first and foremost point out that 343 is not its own developer, nor is it Microsoft’s developer, 343 is Our developer. They would not exist if it were not for Us the Halo fan base. Halo has two parts this is to be sure. One part is campaign the other is multiplayer. I want to specifically point out that I am not discussing the multiplayer here I am only discussing the main story line of the game. Here I will present the facts and reasoning why We the community deserve an apology.

First this is the shortest campaign of all the core console Halo games. It can be done in roughly 4 hours on normal difficulty and this is even for the most mediocre of players. There are also 3 levels in which you literally walk from 1 point to another talking to people and the mission ends. Sure you can explore these but as far as story telling and game play goes these levels are fundamentally flawed.

My second point is that for every main game numbers 1-4 Master Chief is the main protagonist. This was unseen in this campaign. 3 out of the 15 missions are played as Blue Team. You can argue that theses missions are longer than Osiris’ but there is still a large portion of the game were blue team goes unseen. Master Chief took a back seat to Locke who was clearly the main protagonist of this game.

3rd point is that neither Blue team or Team Osiris had any character development. I know who blue team is I know those characters, I have read all the books but what about those that haven’t. There are people out there who have no knowledge of Blue Team and They will be left wondering what is going on. Osiris is a new team that has very little development as well. Once again I have read the books, comics, and I know who Vale, Tanaka, Buck, and Locke are but what of those who haven’t. None of the characters on either team are fleshed out at all. The best they do is the relationship between Buck and Locke and this is only seen as a good friendship but its not flushed out as to why. Also in the beginning with Blue Team when Fred confronts Chief clearly showing there is a deep mutual history there. This is never explained to people either.

4th point, There is a lot of context in the core game that most people will not understand if they have not read the Forerunner trilogy of books. What is a Warrior-Servant, what is a Builder? If you have not read those books you will not understand these terms as they are not explained to you.

5th point, The Hunt the Truths’ marketing campaign was misleading at a fault. The Marketing campaign itself was a great success. Marketing campaigns are based on how much of the product has sold and Halo 5 has sold well so the marketing campaign will be deemed a success. It was also deceptive and misleading which is something that for this series at very least should not be seen as acceptable. I would even go as far as to say it was an outright betrayal of the communities trust. 343 Industries was formed on the promise that they would continue the series for the community that loves it. They have one sacred task which is to do the Halo series justice. Misleading deceptions are not justice. A majority of the trailers made the game out to be one of the greatest man hunts in video game history. There was no manhunt. Chief was never made out to be an enemy or an adversary. The trailers made this game out to be something where you would have to find out the truth of what is going on and Chief would be on one side and Locke would be on the other. In the game it is not seen this way. Locke never sees Chief as a traitor or an enemy and Chief never sees Locke in the same light either.

This next part is more of an opinion than a fact but personally to me the story line felt as if it was stitched together. It felt like there was meant to be more and like stuff was cut. The story line itself felt rushed. Do not get me wrong the actual content in the game looks and feels great, it is polished and what is there was clearly handled with care. This was not a half baked game for what is in it but I cannot help but to feel as if it were rushed. With Forge not being in the game or game types such as Big Team and such I believe 343 may have been cutting it close to a deadline and had to cut back on certain parts and these main parts were on the campaign.

Either way regardless of reasons why this franchise is Ours the communities and we deserve better and we should demand better. You cannot sacrifice the campaign for the Multiplayer. Halo 1-4 did not and neither did Reach and now is not the time to start. 343 should not compromise Our story that We love and hold so dear.

Based on the facts laid out above along with the large opinion of the halo community I would like to make a formal request to 343 Industries to apologize for not delivering Us the story We deserved.

I would also ask the community to second this request and make or dissatisfaction known. For those that are in disagreement with my statement I would welcome them to discuss their disagreements here with me and the others of the community who do agree with my opinion.

APOLOGY For what

> 2533274870235849;2:
> APOLOGY For what

Exactly my thoughts.

OP is apparently living on a different planet. H5 was awesome!

You poor soul. This game has driven you to type this much?

Petitions are against forum rules, and the campaign was great.

I’d be down to sign a Thank You card for 343. Halo 5’s campaign was amazing.

Not sure which game you are playing but The Halo 5 I’m playing is great. The graphics complaints are exaggerated. the aim assist complaints are exaggerated.

I’ll second that Thank You card. Personally I love the campaign taking some focus off of Master Chief. And this game’s story has me far more excited for the next game than any past main series game.

I like the campaign so far, halo was never great at telling a story, actually I think 343 is doing a great job since they took Halo

[deleted]

> 2533274815082426;1:
> My second point is that for every main game numbers 1-4 Master Chief is the main protagonist. This was unseen in this campaign. 3 out of the 15 missions are played as Blue Team. You can argue that theses missions are longer than Osiris’ but there is still a large portion of the game were blue team goes unseen. Master Chief took a back seat to Locke who was clearly the main protagonist of this game.

For me chief was still the main protagonist in this game, just because we play less missions doesn’t mean that the character is less important.

Well petition aren’t allowed here.

Also putting all those explanations you are asking for in a game would make it feel rather awkward. They cannot put so much stuff in there since this is a game and not a book and they have to keep the main story line in place in order to make it appealing. How would you go about such a task? Warden Eternal explaining to the chief what he means with warrior servant?

petitions = bans

Halo 5’s campaign wasn’t perfect, but it beat the pants off of Reach’s and Halo 3’s.

> 2533274792014876;3:
> > 2533274870235849;2:
> > APOLOGY For what
>
>
> Exactly my thoughts.
>
> OP is apparently living on a different planet. H5 was awesome!

Indeed.
I did it solo legendary and took me nearly 12 hours I think.

This was one of the best campaigns ever in my opinion!

id agree about the character development.

didn’t give a -Yoink- about anyone apart from chief and buck

> 2533274837720524;5:
> Petitions are against forum rules, and the campaign was great.

So is putting up inflammatory threads, so you can pipe down…

Not the worst Halo campaign as far as I’m concerned. Better than H3, honestly my LEAST favorite campaign. I’d say better than H4 as well, and I’m just going to go out on a limb by saying H:CE was overrated. H2 was probably the only one that WOULDN’T confuse someone with random bits of story, and is probably the best, but definitely the least enjoyable for gameplay. Halo 3: ODST was good, but short. Halo Reach was fine, but I never really cared about the characters by the time they died.

Onto something which obviously isn’t true…

> 2533274815082426;1:
> You cannot sacrifice the campaign for the Multiplayer.

Rather have a good multiplayer than a campaign. Not buying a $60 game for a campaign that’s more enjoyable than multiplayer, no way that campaign is going to last me even 200-300 hours. I already have games, under half that price, giving me 1k hours worth of gameplay.
Kinda a shame this is the only non-open world fps game that even tries with story.