Performance mode controls on Xbox

I hope that Infinite on Xbox at some point has the kind of rendering controls that many games on PC have. Specifically, my hope is that I can tweak the rendering to get lower quality visuals at >140 hz FPS. One hundred and twenty hertz in Performance mode on my Series X is good but more would be even better.

Has anyone played Infinite on console’s 120 hz and on a PC’s higher frame rate? If so, how noticeable is the difference?

You’ll never be able to “tweak” the rendering on a console game. Console’s use APU with shared memory, you’re lucky they can now (somewhat) support up to 120Hz.

I get 240+ fps in Halo on my PC. As what I remembered, Halo on console cannot hold a locked 120fps but comparing my Series X to my PC, PC is just a lot more smoother and fluid.

Not played on the Xbox’s 120Hz mode, but am a PC player that has run the gamut on framerate and currently play on a 120Hz display - I find 120 to be decent, especially if you’re holding steady. You do get lower input latency at higher than 120, and smoother display updates (obviously), but I find 120 to be a good point to aim for when above 60 framerates is your target- especially if you’re trying to get 10bpc HDR throughput on older gen cabling, and want to keep visual fidelity.

IMO, 120 is something I can be happy with - it’s not quite as responsive as higher framerates, but responsiveness is also not linear with framerate. Returns do begin to diminish. Problem with the Xbox’s 120 mode is that in reality it’s an 80-120 mode. Your input latency and display updates are going to vary throughout the course of play. IMO, if they got this to a locked 120, it would feel better than it currently does.

Same I get around 100-110 on my Series X and 240+ on my PC. The Series X has the hardware to hit a locked 120 though. Games just not optimized well at all.

1 Like

How do you know how many frames per second you’re getting on XSX? I had this discussion with @ItzTheDay a few weeks ago when discussing my hardware, and if I recall correctly, he said that the FPS display on my monitor isn’t actually a true representation of what’s happening or being delivered on screen as the XSX isn’t capable of communicating that information (or words to that effect).

I’m playing on an XSX in performance mode at 1440p 120Hz on an LG27GP850…so my hardware is more than capable of displaying 120fps, but as far as I know, I don’t have an accurate way of knowing what the frames per second actually is.

@ItzTheDay could you confirm this please.

1 Like

The FPS on your monitor was incorrect at launch but depending on which monitor you have a update should have fixed the issue. I have a dell and at first it wouldn’t display at all but about a month ago and update launched that fixed it.

Looks like it has been fixed since then…

This video shows 120 being unstable on Series X, also showing 120 on Series S but I believe that got stripped and is now 60?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_k8E86dnZc

Most recent testing…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1bx71t0qno

Also, if anyone is curious…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVg19CbkXR4

Thanks ITD. So basically the FPS counter on my LG27GP850 is actually a true representation of what I’m getting. Most of the time in game it is at a steady 120 but drops during things like loading screens, pre-match, etc

No, it’s not. Stick a Blu Ray movie in your console, it’ll probably still show 120Hz instead of 25/28/30fps.

1 Like

Now I’m officially confused! :joy:

Is what @IntoVaIhalla saying also incorrect? As far as I’m aware the FPS counter on our monitors is supposed to display frames per second of the content being displayed and not the Hz that the console is set to.

1 Like

It’s different when using a console or even a blu ray player for that matter. It’s only displaying what the frequency is set to. Frequency is variable so this is why you’ll see it fluctuate.

If VRR is on, the frequency should fluctuate with actual framerate - provided you don’t dip too low to be out of the VRR range, then things get funny.

@K0NSPIRACY do you run with VRR enabled?

Yeah I’d have to double check but I believe VRR is enabled.

A good way to tell would be to turn on the overlay and play some campaign. In the 120Hz mode the Series X will fluctuate a bit in campaign, since it’s more demanding than MP. So if the overlay shows numbers between 80 and 120 while running around the open world, or during hectic moments in the open world, it’s likely that VRR is doing its thing and you’re seeing the actual framerate.

Thanks. I’m not entirely sure what you mean by the “overlay” but if you mean the FPS counter than I can confirm that this does fluctuate in campaign…if I recall correctly it dips mainly during the cut scenes. I’ll double check if VRR is enabled later.

Yes, that is what I meant - the FPS counter from the monitor (or even the in-game counter) is generally considered an overlay - it displays the FPS information over top of the game behind it, or, “overlays” the FPS information in front of the game information.

Ok thanks. Xbox doesn’t have an FPS counter but I do use the one on my monitor.

What I’m confused about is that what you’re saying contradicts what @ItzTheDay has said about this. Either way I can confirm that my monitor shows 120 on the FPS counter most of the time whilst playing both campaign and MP (and this does dip depending on what is being displayed in game).

Well, I’m trying to ascertain if your monitor is doing what @ItzTheDay is saying, or if it’s not - because it is very much a possibility. Some circumstances can cause a monitor to display just the refresh rate in the overlay and not the actual framerate. However, if VRR is on, and if it’s actually syncing the refresh rate to the framerate, it should be accurate - but without the tools of a PC, it’s harder to figure out, especially given that it’s a 1440p monitor.

Reason this makes it harder is that we know how the game runs its 120Hz mode with a 4k output - it upscales from 1440p, and this is fairly taxing (but not as taxing as rendering at full 4k), so we see fairly significant dips in those tests, the Digital Foundry review should demonstrate this. However, with a 1440p output resolution, we don’t know if the game is upscaling from a lower res or if it’s just running at native 1440p. Either way, I would expect FPS to be better than doing 1440p to 4k, but it makes it harder to determine if the overlay is reading correctly or if there are still issues with how it reads.

So, to that end, how low are the dips? A 120Hz refresh rate can fluctuate as @ItzTheDay said - it’s technically like 119.xxx Hz and not just a flat 120 - and this can cause up and down, usually from 118-120Hz in the overlay. Does the overlay dip below that in its slowest moments? I guess, at worst, what does the range look like?

I can see my FPS on my Series X because of a bug; I first installed Infinite on my PC and enabled the in-game FPS counter. My PC couldn’t handle Infinite so I bought an Xbox. The FPS option stayed on in my cloud settings so now it still displays FPS while I play on Xbox. There’s no menu option to disable it so I’m stuck with it. My frames stay close to 120 while playing MP. I’ve only seen it dip below 115 while loading.

I don’t have time to run any gameplay tests at the moment but I just did some quick checks.

I can confirm that VRR is enabled in the XSX settings and Freesync is enabled on the monitor.

As a quick test, on the XSX dashboard the FPS counter displays 120 then I started up Halo Infinite and it drops to 80-ish as the game loads…then returns to 120 when it hits the Halo Infinite main menu.

With regards to 1440p, I use this as XSX is only capable of playing Halo Infinite at 4K 60fps in quality mode. Obviously I have the option to play at 1080p or 1440p to get 120fps in performance mode, and it is my understanding that 1440p is the better option.

1 Like