People Say Halo Isn't Supposed To Look Realistic

I’ve posted a few topics on here and engaged in many debates regarding the art direction of Halo 4/5. A common theme from one side of the argument is that Halo isn’t supposed to look realistic; that Halo is supposed to be cartoonish because that’s how it always has been. The new Ready Up Live Warzone commentary released today also takes this stance (see the 5:30-6:30 minute mark in the video).

It seems that most of these people have forgotten (or weren’t playing Halo at the time) the context in which the original Halo trilogy was released. Halo CE was one of the more “realistic” shooters of the day when released in terms of player models and textures. Halo 2 increased the visual fidelity of the original, and 3 even more so. When you look at games released in the same time period as past games, you will see that Halo was never meant to be “cartoonish” as these people suggest, but that the “cartoonish” aesthetic of the games is more a product of the limitations of graphics at the time rather than actual art design.

Of course, Halo is a sci-fi shooter and has a different color pallet than a game like call of duty, but I resent the idea and notion that halo is supposed to look like a cartoon.

I think you took it wrong.

Well said. I’ve always loved being able to look down and see my feet walk slow or fast, or turn with leg compensation. Made me feel immersed.

The graphics were slightly cartoonish, but if anything gave people the notion that Halo was cartoonish, it was probably the way the Covenant acted(specifically the Grunts), some of the Marine dialogue, death screams, etc. Basically it was Bungie’s sense of humor. Something that the 343 Halo games don’t have. Well, didn’t have until we saw that Grunt in the Halo 5 E3 trailer. It had very little to do with the actual graphics.

You really can’t look at halo 3 or 2 and say “yeah that looks real.”

> 2533274915983628;2:
> I think you took it wrong.

No, he took it right.
That video said it’s supposed to be bright and colorful instead of gritty and moderns.

The Covenant were the only faction that had any sort of bright colors. Everything else was pretty much straight military earthy colors.

> 2533274857398125;5:
> You really can’t look at halo 3 or 2 and say “yeah that looks real.”

In retrospect, no. We have a comparison now and that sways our judgement. When I first played those games when they came out, I was amazed at what they looked like at the time.

> 2533274857398125;5:

But H2 was developed on an older system, while H3 was an early display of the graphics for the 360. Just think back to all the games that were around the time of H2. If anything, this game was probably one of the most realistic.

> 2533274857398125;5:

Not today, but at the time they were more “realistic” than games released in those respective years. Now, we have flat explosions, water effects and character models that look like they are out of a Disney movie

> 2533274857398125;5:

Yeah that looks real.Yeah that looks pretty real for 2004.

> 2533274915926813;6:
> > 2533274915983628;2:
> > I think you took it wrong.
>
>
> No, he took it right.
> That video said it’s supposed to be bright and colorful instead of gritty and moderns.
>
> The Covenant were the only faction that had any sort of bright colors. Everything else was pretty much straight military earthy colors.

This. Where do people get this idea that Halo was bright and colorful? The only aspects of the previous games that were that way were alien artifacts, weapons, and vehicles. And even then, the colors were largely muted and subdued so as to not look too unrealistic. Now, we have plastic armor pieces, perfectly white and spotless “mining colony” structures, turquoise blue water, and dirt that only pixar could replicate

The game is set in a time period we have yet to reach and in a universe that can’t possibly exist on the physical plane, so yeah, unrealistic visuals aren’t that had to accept as a medium for the game universes portrayal.

Thought I was maybe the only one who saw Halo as a ‘covert blend between reality and fantasy’ at the time…

For their time at least, UNSC/human structures and ground/wall textures were photo-realistic. Even the ambient soundtracks for each level had real sounds. I compared every Halo since Halo 2 to say, the latest Forza Motorsport, and for the most part their graphics had similar fidelity, especially Halo 3.

The dialogue was also extremely diverse and situational. You rarely heard allies say the same thing twice, so it was like me and other real people were being thrown into a universe with powerful, insult-spewing aliens. Halo 5 looks to have a lot of unique dialogue though, and 60 fps will help the realism a lot. Not sure how the ambient tracks will fare, yet.

> 2533274792721621;12:
> The game is set in a time period we have yet to reach and in a universe that can’t possibly exist on the physical plane, so yeah, unrealistic visuals aren’t that had to accept as a medium for the game universes portrayal.

So you’re saying in the future, everything could look cartoonish?

> 2533274892061674;9:
> > 2533274857398125;5:
> > You really can’t look at halo 3 or 2 and say “yeah that looks real.”
>
>
> Not today, but at the time they were more “realistic” than games released in those respective years. Now, we have flat explosions, water effects and character models that look like they are out of a Disney movie

That’s like objectively wrong.

> 2533274892061674;11:
> turquoise blue water

I’m sorry, are parts of the world unrealistic to you? Cause water does come in turquise in places.

Heck, water colours on other planets are likely to vary due to atmospheric effects and simply different quantities of elements and polution (or lack there of).

Look atthe models for Holly Tanaka and Vivky Vale and tell me what about those doesn’t look like a Pixar character. Look at every single screenshot of Warzone and say that you honestly can’t imagine Wreck-It-Ralph running around and not looking out of place

god, whats your point? i’ve noticed you around these forums a lot over the last few months and all you do is moan and complain and cry. you’ve made multiple threads and it’s all the same whiney crap about the graphics or art direction. the game isn’t even out yet, and you’re already bashing everything about it. if you don’t like the game, don’t get it. Halo isn’t “cartoonish”, but it’s also not meant to look like a modern day shooter. who knows what things will look like 500 years from now - including multiple alien technologies if we ever find them.

> 2533274892061674;17:
> Look atthe models for Holly Tanaka and Vivky Vale and tell me what about those doesn’t look like a Pixar character. Look at every single screenshot of Warzone and say that you honestly can’t see Wreck-It-Ralph running around

If Holly Tanaka really looks the same as Ana, get your eyes checked. I’ll agree that the Halo 5 models looks plasticy, but that is a common problem I see in a lot of CG stuff.

> 2533274809119265;18:
> god, whats your point? i’ve noticed you around these forums a lot over the last few months and all you do is moan and complain and cry. you’ve made multiple threads and it’s all the same whiney crap about the graphics or art direction. the game isn’t even out yet, and you’re already bashing everything about it. if you don’t like the game, don’t get it. Halo isn’t “cartoonish”, but it’s also not meant to look like a modern day shooter. who knows what things will look like 500 years from now - including multiple alien technologies if we ever find them.

I’ve made many, many posts that have nothing to do with graphics that even hype and support aspects of the game that I like. Why don’t you apply your own argument of “if you don’t like it, then…” and not comment on something that you disagree with instead of crying like a child every time some makes a post and gets attention with an opinion that you disagree with. People have opinions that differ from those of your own. Welcome to life. Deal with it.