Pelicans evacuating on the autumn

It’s been so long since I’ve read the book, but I was wondering if and how pelicans were used during the evacuation of the autumn in the first mission.

In the cut scene we see Johnson prep his men then several pelicans’ prepare for launch, were these pelicans used to evacuate the ship alongside the escape pods, or were they used to transport troops groundside so they would secure lz.

I don’t remember it being mentioned in the book but I could be wrong, I know they mention silva and his odst being deployed in their hev pods and he remarks about the rest of the crew going down in their comfy life pods.

If the pelicans were used to evac, why didn’t chief go down in one of them as apposed to a pod. It would have given him a huge advantage as he would have been able to deploy more effectively.

> 2533274867382575;1:
> It’s been so long since I’ve read the book, but I was wondering if and how pelicans were used during the evacuation of the autumn in the first mission.
>
> In the cut scene we see Johnson prep his men then several pelicans’ prepare for launch, were these pelicans used to evacuate the ship alongside the escape pods, or were they used to transport troops groundside so they would secure lz.
>
> I don’t remember it being mentioned in the book but I could be wrong, I know they mention silva and his odst being deployed in their hev pods and he remarks about the rest of the crew going down in their comfy life pods.
>
> If the pelicans were used to evac, why didn’t chief go down in one of them as apposed to a pod. It would have given him a huge advantage as he would have been able to deploy more effectively.

From what I remember, most of the pelicans were just trying to get off the autumn. Their crews were usually the only ones on board at the time of departing. Most evacuated through life pods as that was the standard thing to do in emergencies. In a way, it was a everybody get off the ship now kind of deal where only lifepods would usually wait to get at least a full seating of crew members. Chiefs main goal was to get off the autumn and onto the halo with cortana so they headed for a lifepod. True, the pelicans would’ve been better but chief needed to get off the autumn as soon as possible. I haven’t read the book for a couple months now, but I hoped this helped a little bit even if my memory is a bit rusty.

> 2533275031293244;2:
> > 2533274867382575;1:
> > It’s been so long since I’ve read the book, but I was wondering if and how pelicans were used during the evacuation of the autumn in the first mission.
> >
> > In the cut scene we see Johnson prep his men then several pelicans’ prepare for launch, were these pelicans used to evacuate the ship alongside the escape pods, or were they used to transport troops groundside so they would secure lz.
> >
> > I don’t remember it being mentioned in the book but I could be wrong, I know they mention silva and his odst being deployed in their hev pods and he remarks about the rest of the crew going down in their comfy life pods.
> >
> > If the pelicans were used to evac, why didn’t chief go down in one of them as apposed to a pod. It would have given him a huge advantage as he would have been able to deploy more effectively.
>
> From what I remember, most of the pelicans were just trying to get off the autumn. Their crews were usually the only ones on board at the time of departing. Most evacuated through life pods as that was the standard thing to do in emergencies. In a way, it was a everybody get off the ship now kind of deal where only lifepods would usually wait to get at least a full seating of crew members. Chiefs main goal was to get off the autumn and onto the halo with cortana so they headed for a lifepod. True, the pelicans would’ve been better but chief needed to get off the autumn as soon as possible. I haven’t read the book for a couple months now, but I hoped this helped a little bit even if my memory is a bit rusty.

That makes sense, thanks.