PC user with unplayable performance

Just want to start off by saying I really appreciate what 343 has done for the MCC, and how they strive to bring the core Halo experience back in a modernized setting. That’s no easy task and they’ve come a very long way from where they’ve started, so congrats to the dev and marketing teams.

Now as an insider, I’m here to report the performance of Infinite on my build. My specs are:

CPU:
Ryzen 3 3200g (4c/4t) 3.6 GHz Base clock - 4.0 GHz Boost Clock

GPU:
R9 290x Gigabyte Windforce

RAM:
Oloy 16 Gb (8x2) 3000Mhz (XMP set to 2933 Mhz)

SSD:
Adata SU 635 480 Gb

Motherboard:
Asrock B450M Pro4

Windows 10

I’m getting about 24-28 FPS at the main menu and 10-19 FPS in-game. My GPU is under 100% load on the lowest settings alone. Yet strangely my GPU temperatures are well below what they normally are under full load, at about 70-75 degrees, especially with a card known for running infamously hot up to 87-88 degrees (Celsius of course). My driver is AMD Radeon Adrenalin 21.2.3 by the way.

Something also to note is that my CPU only has about a 50-70% load for some reason, when other users are getting a 100% max load on CPU’s with more cores or better architecture than mine (which my CPU is AMD’s Zen+).

If Halo Infinite is able to run on low end builds, it seems like it was not meant for older components like mine to say the least. Not that I’m complaining per say, but if there is a target performance 343 is looking for, they should specify or adjust what the minimum requirements are, since my build technically surpasses them in all areas.

EDIT: Higher graphics settings are giving me 5-12 FPS on average. So even dropping the settings from high to low gives me only about a 5 FPS boost.

FYI you are just barely over the min specs and way under the recommended specs for the game. You’re definitely going to want to upgrade before release.

Recommended GPU is RX 5700 which scores 14703 on videocardbenchmark. A 290X scores 8774, half the recommended.
Recommended CPU is a 3700X which scores 22781 and your 3200G scores 7216, a third of the recommended.

Also game is very poorly optimized rn. I have a 1080 ti that scores 18061 and a ryzen 3600 which scores 17858 and can barely get 60 fps on low 1440p. And it feels/looks like 10 FPS due to stuttering.

Do you run afterburner by chance?

> 2533274804762562;2:
> FYI you are just barely over the min specs and way under the recommended specs for the game. You’re definitely going to want to upgrade before release.
>
> Recommended GPU is RX 5700 which scores 14703 on videocardbenchmark. A 290X scores 8774, half the recommended.
> Recommended CPU is a 3700X which scores 22781 and your 3200G scores 7216, a third of the recommended.
>
> Also game is very poorly optimized rn. I have a 1080 ti that scores 18061 and a ryzen 3600 which scores 17858 and can barely get 60 fps on low 1440p. And it feels/looks like 10 FPS due to stuttering.

Yeah you make a good point but I built my rig for a reason since I couldn’t afford pandemic-level prices for a build at the time. I can do 1080p med-high (sometimes even max) settings on 60-70 fps in most titles which is enough for my display, so I figured at least I’d be getting passable performance on low settings with my rig. But I guess this game really needs horsepower to run even at a playable experience. And with your specs you should be getting considerably better performance too. This may just be another Crysis Remastered situation I guess.

> 2533274848483336;3:
> Do you run afterburner by chance?

I did, tried the game with it both on and off. I had no performance difference.

> 2533274875834611;4:
> > 2533274804762562;2:
> > FYI you are just barely over the min specs and way under the recommended specs for the game. You’re definitely going to want to upgrade before release.
> >
> > Recommended GPU is RX 5700 which scores 14703 on videocardbenchmark. A 290X scores 8774, half the recommended.
> > Recommended CPU is a 3700X which scores 22781 and your 3200G scores 7216, a third of the recommended.
> >
> > Also game is very poorly optimized rn. I have a 1080 ti that scores 18061 and a ryzen 3600 which scores 17858 and can barely get 60 fps on low 1440p. And it feels/looks like 10 FPS due to stuttering.
>
> Yeah you make a good point but I built my rig for a reason since I couldn’t afford pandemic-level prices for a build at the time. I can do 1080p med-high (sometimes even max) settings on 60-70 fps in most titles which is enough for my display, so I figured at least I’d be getting passable performance on low settings with my rig. But I guess this game really needs horsepower to run even at a playable experience. And with your specs you should be getting considerably better performance too. This may just be another Crysis Remastered situation I guess.
>
>
>
>
> > 2533274848483336;3:
> > Do you run afterburner by chance?
>
> I did, tried the game with it both on and off. I had no performance difference.

Somethings I did that helped:
make sure your power settings are set to “high performance”.
set the process priority in task manager to “high”. seems like the game is very CPU heavy.
set resolution scaling all the way down (55%)
turn vsync off

I can now at least play the game without stuttering and 100+ fps.

I had the same issue and i got a fix for it.

the issue is not your GPU its your driver version.

i had the same.

i could drill with around 34 fps with a r9 380 and a ryzen 5 1600x, but the moment i went into training with bot it always stuck around 12 and 14 fps.

i saw somewhere in the flight patchnotes that you need atleast 26.1.1 GPU radeon version.
my r9 380 didnt get supported with that driver version. i downloaded a modded version of that driver and despite r9 not support with 26.1.1 i updated to it and voila.

i had low settings 13-15 fps and now with that 26.1.1 driver version im up to 40-47 fps ingame with bot on medium high settings.

If you read the patch notes in game they want you to update to the latest Ryzen drivers.

They say its doubling FPS. Try that.

> 2533274922583448;7:
> If you read the patch notes in game they want you to update to the latest Ryzen drivers.
>
> They say its doubling FPS. Try that.

the issue here that his GPU doenst support the version 26.1.1 he has to use modded GPU driver and there is where the danger lies.

While I second that your specs are likely contributing, the current flight is running incredibly poorly. very bad frame hangs and stuttering across the board. It may be to do with the fact there isn’t a proper exclusive fullscreen option, only windowed borderless. considering the amount of people struggling with performance I’m confident it will be addressed at some point in the near future.

> 2535464189228333;6:
> I had the same issue and i got a fix for it.
>
> the issue is not your GPU its your driver version.
>
> i had the same.
>
> i could drill with around 34 fps with a r9 380 and a ryzen 5 1600x, but the moment i went into training with bot it always stuck around 12 and 14 fps.
>
> i saw somewhere in the flight patchnotes that you need atleast 26.1.1 GPU radeon version.
> my r9 380 didnt get supported with that driver version. i downloaded a modded version of that driver and despite r9 not support with 26.1.1 i updated to it and voila.
>
> i had low settings 13-15 fps and now with that 26.1.1 driver version im up to 40-47 fps ingame with bot on medium high settings.

Thanks for the advice, I did not know this. Darn, and to think AMD dropped support for older cards during a chip shortage.

I’m gonna try this out, thanks again man.

> 2533274875834611;1:
> Just want to start off by saying I really appreciate what 343 has done for the MCC, and how they strive to bring the core Halo experience back in a modernized setting. That’s no easy task and they’ve come a very long way from where they’ve started, so congrats to the dev and marketing teams.
>
> Now as an insider, I’m here to report the performance of Infinite on my build. My specs are:
>
> CPU:
> Ryzen 3 3200g (4c/4t) 3.6 GHz Base clock - 4.0 GHz Boost Clock
>
> GPU:
> R9 290x Gigabyte Windforce
>
> RAM:
> Oloy 16 Gb (8x2) 3000Mhz (XMP set to 2933 Mhz)
>
> SSD:
> Adata SU 635 480 Gb
>
> Motherboard:
> Asrock B450M Pro4
>
> OS:
> Windows 10
>
> I’m getting about 24-28 FPS at the main menu and 10-19 FPS in-game. My GPU is under 100% load on the lowest settings alone. Yet strangely my GPU temperatures are well below what they normally are under full load, at about 70-75 degrees, especially with a card known for running infamously hot up to 87-88 degrees (Celsius of course). My driver is AMD Radeon Adrenalin 21.2.3 by the way.
>
> Something also to note is that my CPU only has about a 50-70% load for some reason, when other users are getting a 100% max load on CPU’s with more cores or better architecture than mine (which my CPU is AMD’s Zen+).
>
> If Halo Infinite is able to run on low end builds, it seems like it was not meant for older components like mine to say the least. Not that I’m complaining per say, but if there is a target performance 343 is looking for, they should specify or adjust what the minimum requirements are, since my build technically surpasses them in all areas.
>
> EDIT: Higher graphics settings are giving me 5-12 FPS on average. So even dropping the settings from high to low gives me only about a 5 FPS boost.

Set your minimum framerate to your refresh rate.

> 2535410098318050;11:
> > 2533274875834611;1:
> > Just want to start off by saying I really appreciate what 343 has done for the MCC, and how they strive to bring the core Halo experience back in a modernized setting. That’s no easy task and they’ve come a very long way from where they’ve started, so congrats to the dev and marketing teams.
> >
> > Now as an insider, I’m here to report the performance of Infinite on my build. My specs are:
> >
> > CPU:
> > Ryzen 3 3200g (4c/4t) 3.6 GHz Base clock - 4.0 GHz Boost Clock
> >
> > GPU:
> > R9 290x Gigabyte Windforce
> >
> > RAM:
> > Oloy 16 Gb (8x2) 3000Mhz (XMP set to 2933 Mhz)
> >
> > SSD:
> > Adata SU 635 480 Gb
> >
> > Motherboard:
> > Asrock B450M Pro4
> >
> > OS:
> > Windows 10
> >
> > I’m getting about 24-28 FPS at the main menu and 10-19 FPS in-game. My GPU is under 100% load on the lowest settings alone. Yet strangely my GPU temperatures are well below what they normally are under full load, at about 70-75 degrees, especially with a card known for running infamously hot up to 87-88 degrees (Celsius of course). My driver is AMD Radeon Adrenalin 21.2.3 by the way.
> >
> > Something also to note is that my CPU only has about a 50-70% load for some reason, when other users are getting a 100% max load on CPU’s with more cores or better architecture than mine (which my CPU is AMD’s Zen+).
> >
> > If Halo Infinite is able to run on low end builds, it seems like it was not meant for older components like mine to say the least. Not that I’m complaining per say, but if there is a target performance 343 is looking for, they should specify or adjust what the minimum requirements are, since my build technically surpasses them in all areas.
> >
> > EDIT: Higher graphics settings are giving me 5-12 FPS on average. So even dropping the settings from high to low gives me only about a 5 FPS boost.
>
> Set your minimum framerate to your refresh rate.

Didn’t change anything but good suggestion.

Also, WiiZZaaM was correct and I can now play infinite at a consistent 30 FPS low settings. Not ideal, but this is at a least partially playable experience depending on your tastes.

Older hardware is going to have a much harder time getting this game to work. If low spec gamers like myself get into this game, it’s going to require some tweaking beyond graphical settings most likely.

EDIT: If anyone with an older AMD card (pre-Polaris GPU) wants to play this, the driver you need is at least 21.6.1 . I was able to find a modded 21.8.1 that solved my problem. It may be possible to get better performance with another “modded” driver, but I can’t verify this since I’m only using 21.8.1

> 2535417346036495;9:
> While I second that your specs are likely contributing, the current flight is running incredibly poorly. very bad frame hangs and stuttering across the board. It may be to do with the fact there isn’t a proper exclusive fullscreen option, only windowed borderless. considering the amount of people struggling with performance I’m confident it will be addressed at some point in the near future.

i had the same issue but it went away when I rebooted the build. Also might help that I set my process priority to high.

> 2533274804762562;13:
> > 2535417346036495;9:
> > While I second that your specs are likely contributing, the current flight is running incredibly poorly. very bad frame hangs and stuttering across the board. It may be to do with the fact there isn’t a proper exclusive fullscreen option, only windowed borderless. considering the amount of people struggling with performance I’m confident it will be addressed at some point in the near future.
>
> i had the same issue but it went away when I rebooted the build. Also might help that I set my process priority to high.

It seems to have improved with some general tweaking, but I still trust in 343 to get it sorted by release.

> 2535464189228333;6:
> I had the same issue and i got a fix for it.
>
> the issue is not your GPU its your driver version.
>
> i had the same.
>
> i could drill with around 34 fps with a r9 380 and a ryzen 5 1600x, but the moment i went into training with bot it always stuck around 12 and 14 fps.
>
> i saw somewhere in the flight patchnotes that you need atleast 26.1.1 GPU radeon version.
> my r9 380 didnt get supported with that driver version. i downloaded a modded version of that driver and despite r9 not support with 26.1.1 i updated to it and voila.
>
> i had low settings 13-15 fps and now with that 26.1.1 driver version im up to 40-47 fps ingame with bot on medium high settings.

Where did you get the modded driver? I also have an r9 380 and getting about 20 fps. Btw disable game bar see if that gives you a little boost

> 2533274916996244;15:
> > 2535464189228333;6:
> > I had the same issue and i got a fix for it.
> >
> > the issue is not your GPU its your driver version.
> >
> > i had the same.
> >
> > i could drill with around 34 fps with a r9 380 and a ryzen 5 1600x, but the moment i went into training with bot it always stuck around 12 and 14 fps.
> >
> > i saw somewhere in the flight patchnotes that you need atleast 26.1.1 GPU radeon version.
> > my r9 380 didnt get supported with that driver version. i downloaded a modded version of that driver and despite r9 not support with 26.1.1 i updated to it and voila.
> >
> > i had low settings 13-15 fps and now with that 26.1.1 driver version im up to 40-47 fps ingame with bot on medium high settings.
>
> Where did you get the modded driver? I also have an r9 380 and getting about 20 fps. Btw disable game bar see if that gives you a little boost

I don’t recommend this, but google search nimeZ AMD mod driver and click on whichever link takes you to guru3d.com . I’d post the link here but Im not sure if thats against the rules on this board. Be warned, if you install the modded driver, it will cause stuttering in other games on your system, so if you want to rollback after the flight, you’re going to need DDU to wipe all the driver data and reinstall an older driver.

> 2533274875834611;12:
> > 2535410098318050;11:
> > > 2533274875834611;1:
> > > Just want to start off by saying I really appreciate what 343 has done for the MCC, and how they strive to bring the core Halo experience back in a modernized setting. That’s no easy task and they’ve come a very long way from where they’ve started, so congrats to the dev and marketing teams.
> > >
> > > Now as an insider, I’m here to report the performance of Infinite on my build. My specs are:
> > >
> > > CPU:
> > > Ryzen 3 3200g (4c/4t) 3.6 GHz Base clock - 4.0 GHz Boost Clock
> > >
> > > GPU:
> > > R9 290x Gigabyte Windforce
> > >
> > > RAM:
> > > Oloy 16 Gb (8x2) 3000Mhz (XMP set to 2933 Mhz)
> > >
> > > SSD:
> > > Adata SU 635 480 Gb
> > >
> > > Motherboard:
> > > Asrock B450M Pro4
> > >
> > > OS:
> > > Windows 10
> > >
> > > I’m getting about 24-28 FPS at the main menu and 10-19 FPS in-game. My GPU is under 100% load on the lowest settings alone. Yet strangely my GPU temperatures are well below what they normally are under full load, at about 70-75 degrees, especially with a card known for running infamously hot up to 87-88 degrees (Celsius of course). My driver is AMD Radeon Adrenalin 21.2.3 by the way.
> > >
> > > Something also to note is that my CPU only has about a 50-70% load for some reason, when other users are getting a 100% max load on CPU’s with more cores or better architecture than mine (which my CPU is AMD’s Zen+).
> > >
> > > If Halo Infinite is able to run on low end builds, it seems like it was not meant for older components like mine to say the least. Not that I’m complaining per say, but if there is a target performance 343 is looking for, they should specify or adjust what the minimum requirements are, since my build technically surpasses them in all areas.
> > >
> > > EDIT: Higher graphics settings are giving me 5-12 FPS on average. So even dropping the settings from high to low gives me only about a 5 FPS boost.
> >
> > Set your minimum framerate to your refresh rate.
>
> Didn’t change anything but good suggestion.
>
> Also, WiiZZaaM was correct and I can now play infinite at a consistent 30 FPS low settings. Not ideal, but this is at a least partially playable experience depending on your tastes.
>
> Older hardware is going to have a much harder time getting this game to work. If low spec gamers like myself get into this game, it’s going to require some tweaking beyond graphical settings most likely.
>
> EDIT: If anyone with an older AMD card (pre-Polaris GPU) wants to play this, the driver you need is at least 21.6.1 . I was able to find a modded 21.8.1 that solved my problem. It may be possible to get better performance with another “modded” driver, but I can’t verify this since I’m only using 21.8.1

Make sure you changed minimum framerate and not maximum