Palmer is a poor substitute for Johnson.

Lord knows that this was probably already beaten to death in the months after H4’s launch but I feel it bears repeating again.

Johnson didn’t have the best characterization, god the only thing I remember about Johnson was that he hated the Covenant, he was a bad mother, and he was funny.

But at least he was memorable.

I could rattle at least several well known quotes of his and there are better people out there who could rattle off even more.

Palmer?

“I thought you’ld be taller.”

And sadly people remember that not with fondness. I know the intended reaction it was meant to evoke: Playful shoulder punching. I’m beating a dead horse to say that wasn’t the reaction that players got.

Much has been done to flesh out her backstory, Spartan Assault and Initiation, but SA misses the mark completely. As for Initiation? I will be upfront in that I haven’t gotten Initiation yet so I hope it colors her differently but I shouldn’t need a book to know here character. What I do know about Palmer is that she is a bad mother, cares about her allies, and is serious. That’s not exactly the most memorable character around.

Can we give her more characterization without making her seem bipolar given the time in H4?

Possibly. If she’s a more reserved person we could get a chance to see a side of her that others do not through MC’s eyes. A relationship that isn’t based on superiors or subordinates but instead on equals.

In Spartan Ops, Spartan Assault, and the comics, they’ve tried to make Palmer a strong, assertive leader, but she comes across as arrogant and rude. I don’t like her at all.

The reason that they star her in so much media could only be that they’re setting her up to be a main character in the stories they plan to tell, and I’m going to hate when that happens.

She isn’t a replacement. We saw her a whole what 5 minutes in campaign? Yes we know little about her and they do seem to be trying to fix that with comics and such but I highly doubt we will see her much in the up coming game, at not least enough to think of her as Johnsons replacement.

She has the ability to be a great addition to the halo universe but she is no where near close yet.

I thought of Palmer as more of a replacement for Miranda Keyes, you need a sort of underdog character for Johnson like buck or the rookie. Were they are inferior compared to the Spartans but manage to do the impossible :slight_smile:

if 343 lived johnson could’ve … ya know

Agreed Palmer for the most part felt like a forced joke trying to be serious. I agree we need a replacement for Johnson and Palmer would’ve fit it if she was portrayed better as well as giving her a decent back story and for the most her whole attitude to people just seems terrible for the most part then there is the inspiration that came with Johnson whilst Sarah is completely lacking in that department as she knows nothing about inspiring her allies.

Hehehe sarah palin could never place Johnson

Another one of her ‘quotes’ (if that’s what you could call this) is calling all the scientists “egg heads” which got a bit tedious the more she dubbed them that.

Nobody can replace Johnson

> Hehehe sarah palin could never place Johnson

XD

A thread which shall live in infamy!

> In Spartan Ops, Spartan Assault, and the comics, they’ve tried to make Palmer a strong, assertive leader, but she comes across as arrogant and rude. I don’t like her at all.
>
> The reason that they star her in so much media could only be that they’re setting her up to be a main character in the stories they plan to tell, and I’m going to hate when that happens.

I keep thinking Thorne might be.

I didn’t get the slightest vibe she was in to replace Johnson. However I feel however annoying she may have acted in H4, she is being setup to be a huge character in Halo 5 or beyond.

Something is in the works for her, I can see it.

Dude the only thing I hate about the campaign was that there was no shock factor of the MC being alive. I hated that. It’s like the characters didn’t even know he was gone. And Palmers “thought you’d be taller” comment really pi**ed me off. The dude saved humankind singlehandedly multiple times, have some f’ing respect. I hate Palmer. I’d rather see Thorn come to the spotlight than Palmer. At least he’s humble

Sarah Palmer definitely isn’t there to be a replacement for Sgt. Avery Johnson. Completely different character personalities and roles.
343 has made it pretty clear that they’re pushing to flush out Palmer’s character. Spartan Ops, Spartan Assault, Halo: Initiation, Halo: Escalation, with the exception of the novels, almost every major piece of media 343 has put out has focused on Sarah Palmer or heavily featured her in a major role.
I don’t think it’s fair to write off a character that has only been featured in one game and compare them to a character that has been in three. It’s the same issue I feel like why Noble Team isn’t received that well. There’s just not enough there in a single game to get to know a new character, especially with the heavier story and character-driven campaign 343 envisions for Halo.
Personally, I always saw Sgt. Johnson as more of comedic relief than anything else.

Two games.

Palmer needs some good writing by good writers to make her better. I want Palmer to be more liked, to be written better.

> Sarah Palmer definitely isn’t there to be a replacement for Sgt. Avery Johnson. Completely different character personalities and roles.

I should find a new way to word the subject.

She’s not meant to be a ‘direct replacement’ for Johnson. There’s no way that they could copy Johnson’s personality and put it into a new character and give that character to us. The community would never let it fly. She’s not meant to be that but yet at the same time fill the role that he left behind.

Maybe if I used substitute instead?

> I don’t think it’s fair to write off a character that has only been featured in one game and compare them to a character that has been in three.

To be fair, Palmer’s time in the spotlight in H4 is comparable to Johnson’s time in CE. Pretty brief. She did had more though given SpOps.

> It’s the same issue I feel like why Noble Team isn’t received that well. There’s just not enough there in a single game to get to know a new character, especially with the heavier story and character-driven campaign 343 envisions for Halo.

Did you read the reddit post about Emile? After reading it myself I got a new perspective on Emile and should go back and try to look at the rest of Noble Team differently.

I don’t get why 343 is wasting so much time with this character. She’s awful and completely unlikable, yet for some reason we have received a video game and a comic book series focused on Palmer. Someone please tell me WHY?

I must be the only one kind of tickled by Palmer saying “I thought you’d be taller.” I took it as a sarcastic statement due to the height difference seen in the epilogue. Compared to her it looked like Shaq and his wife (comparison wise).
I also don’t think she was meant to replace or fill the spot but to add to the characters. She seems like she is the misunderstood but at heart is good kind of role. In lots of fiction/ novel there’s that one person everyone just purely dislikes but in the end that character is alright.

Never was much of a fan of Palmer, but never saw her as a replacement for Johnson. Even though Johnson was just human, he was a badass character, and he also served as a bit of comic relief that was unique to the dark settings and events that he was surrounded by.

Sarah Palmer, the best I can describe her as, is a Mary Sue of the Halo universe. She is presented as the best Spartan of the S-IVs but we have no basis to see why that is in Halo 4. She mostly just nags and is rather cynical to everything going on. In Spartan Ops, her constant use of “Eggheads” to describe scientist or technicians is incredibly annoying, and is delivered in a tone like she is berating them because they aren’t Marines or Spartans, even though she wouldn’t be in the position she is in without people like them.

In Spartan Assault, the Mary Sue element is even more prevalent. Mission descriptions glorifying Palmer to an almost silly degree sometimes, it wouldn’t have surprised me if there was a mission description like “Marines said they needed 30 minutes to evacuate the Elephants to the extraction site. Palmer didn’t like that answer and carried the Elephants to the extraction site in five minutes.” Just…really, really silly sometimes.

I would love to see a good, strong female character in the games, but Halo seems to struggle with them. Probably the best female character Halo has is Halsey, but she is now demonized and made into a mad scientist, war criminal. I really am hoping she will be written as only using Jul 'Mdama to avoid the crazy execution order by Osman, instead of being written is as the actual “bad guy”.

Initiation didn’t help her “legacy” either. She is just an altogether baldy constructed character. Now in Escalation, she is tolerable. But that probably has to do with the author of that comic being good at his job.