Palmer as Master Chief new Cortana ?

I think 343 might do this, because it would help to extend Master Chiefs humanity.

At the end of Halo 4 Master Chief humanity was brought into focus, is he more robot then human ?I know Palmer isn’t a AI, but she wouldn’t need to be, she could be Master Chiefs side kick/partner (The best example I can think of is how police have partners).

I also could see 343 making Palmer and Master Chief have a relationship of some kind (Most likely for a shock and awe effect)

Is this possible ? Or would 343 give Master Chief a new AI, or just bring back Cortana ?

I’d say the problem with that is that she has her own stuff to take care of (the entire Spartan-IV force) and would probably not be able to go off gallivanting with Chief on his adventures.

> <mark>I’d say the problem with that is that she has her own stuff to take care of (the entire Spartan-IV force)</mark> and would probably not be able to go off gallivanting with Chief on his adventures.

But couldn’t Halsey take over that role ?

343 has said that Halsey will be explored more in depth.

Halsey:

Gets shot and almost killed by order of ONI assisted by the UNSC

Becomes leader of Spartan Fireteams.

Seems legit.

I would say no to that because as a character I can’t stand her. If they were to go into her history a little and reveal the reason why she’s such a sarcastic annoyance then that’d be nice.

But as one the main poster characters of Halo? Please no.

> Halsey:
>
> Gets shot and almost killed by order of ONI assisted by the UNSC
>
> Becomes leader of Spartan Fireteams.
>
> Seems legit.

But isn’t Halsey valuable to all parties ?

And she could just be putting on a show so she doesn’t get killed by a space dinosaur.

Who else could take Palmer’s place if 343 does make her Master Chief’s new Cortana ?

> > Halsey:
> >
> > Gets shot and almost killed by order of ONI assisted by the UNSC
> >
> > Becomes leader of Spartan Fireteams.
> >
> > Seems legit.
>
> But isn’t Halsey valuable to all parties ?
>
> And she could just be putting on a show so she doesn’t get killed by a space dinosaur.
>
> Who else could take Palmer’s place if 343 does make her Master Chief’s new Cortana ?

Really ball parking here but maybe the Librarian? Or maybe an ancient ancilla? (basically the forerunner equivalent to Cortana but much more commonplace)

> > > Halsey:
> > >
> > > Gets shot and almost killed by order of ONI assisted by the UNSC
> > >
> > > Becomes leader of Spartan Fireteams.
> > >
> > > Seems legit.
> >
> > But isn’t Halsey valuable to all parties ?
> >
> > And she could just be putting on a show so she doesn’t get killed by a space dinosaur.
> >
> > Who else could take Palmer’s place if 343 does make her Master Chief’s new Cortana ?
>
> <mark>Really ball parking here but maybe the Librarian? Or maybe an ancient ancilla?</mark> (basically the forerunner equivalent to Cortana but much more commonplace)

Maybe the Librarian was put into Master Chief in Halo 4, I could see that maybe happening.

As for a different AI, I’m not sure if there are still useful Precursor/Forerunner AI, maybe 343 Guilty Spark ?

But a non human AI wouldn’t help Master Chiefs humanity as much as a real human would.

> > > > Halsey:
> > > >
> > > > Gets shot and almost killed by order of ONI assisted by the UNSC
> > > >
> > > > Becomes leader of Spartan Fireteams.
> > > >
> > > > Seems legit.
> > >
> > > But isn’t Halsey valuable to all parties ?
> > >
> > > And she could just be putting on a show so she doesn’t get killed by a space dinosaur.
> > >
> > > Who else could take Palmer’s place if 343 does make her Master Chief’s new Cortana ?
> >
> > <mark>Really ball parking here but maybe the Librarian? Or maybe an ancient ancilla?</mark> (basically the forerunner equivalent to Cortana but much more commonplace)
>
> Maybe the Librarian was put into Master Chief in Halo 4, I could see that maybe happening.
>
> As for a different AI, I’m not sure if there are still useful Precursor/Forerunner AI, maybe <mark>343 Guilty Spark</mark>?
>
> But a non human AI wouldn’t help Master Chiefs humanity as much as a real human would.

Imagine being stuck in a suit with him and his badly done British accent.

> > Halsey:
> >
> > Gets shot and almost killed by order of ONI assisted by the UNSC
> >
> > Becomes leader of Spartan Fireteams.
> >
> > Seems legit.
>
> But isn’t Halsey valuable to all parties ?
>
> And she could just be putting on a show so she doesn’t get killed by a space dinosaur.
>
> Who else could take Palmer’s place if 343 does make her Master Chief’s new Cortana ?

ONI wanted her dead…

If we all remembered the Didact speaking into John’s head throughout the waning levels of Halo 4, perhaps we would hear his voice throughout Halo 5. But since the Ur-Didact is dead, this one would turn out to be the IsoDidact, who happens to be quite fond of Humanity and might have geas connection to the Master Chief…

As for Palmer being the next companion… I’d think the Master Chief would rather jump into a kill ball.

> If we all remembered the Didact speaking into John’s head throughout the waning levels of Halo 4, perhaps we would hear his voice throughout Halo 5. <mark>But since the Ur-Didact is dead,</mark> this one would turn out to be the IsoDidact, who happens to be quite fond of Humanity and might have geas connection to the Master Chief…
>
> As for Palmer being the next companion… I’d think the Master Chief would rather jump into a kill ball.

Says who?

I think Chief should just reunite with old Spartans and friends, a badass force like the G.I. Joe team in Retaliation.

Chief, Fred, Kelly, Linda

I’d rather see Buck become leader of the Spartan IV’s and throw Palmer out an airlock.

Buck= Actual leader that gets the job done and does the right thing.
Palmer= Mindless drone that does whatever she’s told.

Damn you ONI for being good at putting puppets in positions of command!

Edit: Oompa don’t forget the SIII’s are part of Blue team now too. I would love to see a squad relationship like in Reach, but with characters as interesting and likeable as Blue.

> I’d rather see Buck become leader of the Spartan IV’s and throw Palmer out an airlock.
>
> Buck= Actual leader that gets the job done and does the right thing.
> Palmer= Mindless drone that does whatever she’s told.
>
> Damn you ONI for being good at putting puppets in positions of command!
>
> Edit: Oompa don’t forget the SIII’s are part of Blue team now too. I would love to see a squad relationship like in Reach, but with characters as interesting and likeable as Blue.

All of your ideas are awesome!

I’ve always wondered what happened to Buck after ODST. If he was any better, he’d be a Spartan. So Buck should be a SPARTAN-IV by now. He’s hilarious, and a great leader.

I’d like to see a squad like that as well. We can hope.

Palmer can’t even handle her own squad.

And do you really think that’s the last of Cortana? She’ll be back within the first half hour of the game.

> Palmer can’t even handle her own squad.
>
> <mark>And do you really think that’s the last of Cortana?</mark> She’ll be back within the first half hour of the game.

Well she is dead.

> > If we all remembered the Didact speaking into John’s head throughout the waning levels of Halo 4, perhaps we would hear his voice throughout Halo 5. <mark>But since the Ur-Didact is dead,</mark> this one would turn out to be the IsoDidact, who happens to be quite fond of Humanity and might have geas connection to the Master Chief…
> >
> > As for Palmer being the next companion… I’d think the Master Chief would rather jump into a kill ball.
>
> Says who?

Hopefully nobody since that would make the Forerunners as an enemy meaningless and we would be right back to fighting the Covenant.

He was presumed dead by the UNSC, but I would expect him to be on trial by the remaining Forerunners, that would explain the speech he gave in epilogue.

> > Palmer can’t even handle her own squad.
> >
> > <mark>And do you really think that’s the last of Cortana?</mark> <mark>She’ll be back within the first half hour of the game.</mark>
>
> Well she is dead.

If Cortana were to return within the first half hour of Halo 5, Halo would be officially dead to me.

If she ever were to return, it should not be until at least Halo 6.

Ok, to start, how about no.

Palmer is annoying enough nattering into my helmet during Spartan ops and shooting Halsey in the arm. I don’t need her constantly talking to me during the campaign too.

Frankly, given the opportunity the first thing I’d do is drive her off a cliff and watch her explode as the warthog hit the ground/water/deathbarrier and then laugh maniacally because that’s how much I hater her.

Below is just what I’d expect if this actually happened. Seems like a plot point they’d try to use and while maybe it would be too bad, it would still be incredibly predictable (very much like Halo 4’s ending and Cortana sacrificing herself.)

Secondly, that can only bring on a Chief / Palmer subtle relationship, which again, would be incredibly annoying to have to watch. Then, come the point that Cortana gets brought back or the find her, she’d see palmer. All I can imagine is a sad looking cortana saying the following:

“You… You replaced me.” Shortly followed by chief saying “I couldn’t have brought you back without her.”

“You would have found away. YOU REPLACED ME.”

In which case cortana would go mad (fueled by the fact that she is Metastable and this would affect that stability) and probably go on a rampage. Of course some time later she’d calm down. She’d say sorry and get all “No, it’s not alright. I shouldn’t have done that… I’m not safe” and would either leave or stay. Probably leave because that would give more plot to Halo 6.

At this point chief would ask for palmers help again, who would be reluctant after what happened last time. She’d then die along the way so that chief could get cortana back, probably sacrificing herself so that chief could make it across something.

In the end, chief would save cortana, who would possibly have found a way to give herself a body (alternately, she’d take palmers dead body) and it would go from there.

Sorry, that’s all I can imagine happening if Palmer becomes Chiefs sidekick. Maybe I’m just stupid and they wouldn’t go about being that melodramatic about it, but it seems like a stereotypical plot point and I don’t exactly have faith in 343i’s story writers.