Packing it in...

It was a difficult decision, but I have done something I didn’t think I was going to do… I have sold my copy of Halo 5.

If you read any of my previous posts, you would know that the campaign was a really big disappointment for me. With it’s poor story telling, lack of character development, clichéd plot, false advertising, few Chief missions and generally just boring when compared to previous titles. I think bringing Cortana back was a bad decision after them saying that she was dead. It would help if they explained what happened to her to change her so much. What was the ordeal that changed her views and values, is she being controlled, is this really Cortana or is this one of the fragments we saw at the end of the game and not really her (I kind of hope for the last one). Unlike the previous titles, I felt no desire to replay the campaign.

Despite what a lot of people said, I actually liked the Halo 4 campaign better. The story was well told, the environments were interesting and there were so many parts of it that made your jaw drop. I think one of the problems with Halo 5 was that there was no connection with any of the previous games, it felt like the slate was clean and most of what happened in the past didn’t matter.

I think it is clear that 343i want to make Locke the new face of Halo. Which is why he got more missions, better equipment and is pretty much the main character of the game (despite what 343i says). I know that the Chiefs story will one day come to an end (Which I think should have been Halo 3) and I hope when it does they will give him an ending worthy of what he is… a hero. But I think that Locke’s introduction was poorly handled. I think he would have been better received if they had a game of him during the Human/Covenant war. Showing what he did to be a worthy successor. But all we get is the Nightfall film which was not very good and many people say his character was poor in the film and even worse in the game. That’s why most people were happy to see Buck thanks to Halo 3 ODST.

The multiplayer was the one thing that kept me coming back to the game. Warzone was a brand new mode that offered both PVP and PVE in one package. I know a lot of people were unhappy with the lack of content at launch (which I admit was probably a big mistake by 343i), but this was a new mode that kept me playing for weeks. The REQ system was also a new way to unlock weapons, vehicles and boosts which at the time looked like an exciting way of progressing. It’s very clear that 343i spent more time on the multiplayer aspect rather than the campaign (From a business standpoint I can understand why).

But after a while, the lack of more content, made even multiplayer seem repetitive and boring. Warzone was fun at first, but a little variety and familiar game modes would have been welcome. When I heard that 343i was going to update the game with new content, I was both happy and unhappy at the same time. Happy that we were getting new modes to play, but unhappy that they could not have had all these contents at the start and that this was just a means to keep fans coming back. I also didn’t like some of the new Armour in the game, a lot of it looked like something out of Anime and not really practical. I also felt that there was too much to collect and it was annoying that you didn’t have some kind of reward for doing it. I think would have been better that you could collect credits and then use them to ‘specifically’ buy what you wanted, rather than a luck of the draw or spending REAL money of Packs (Though this is how 343i makes a profit).

Recently there were other factors about multiplayer that annoyed me. Specifically how each time there was a new update, the game would run more sluggish than the one previously. For example: I would be playing a match and I am about to fire my Sniper rifle at an enemy Spartan when all of a sudden the Spartan would be a few feet to the right of where he was standing or there was one time I was sprinting across the map and then I suddenly died for no reason. At first I thought it was just me, but I have seen other people complain about the same kind of problems and others saying how the Bugs actually affected their REQ points and equipment that they had worked so hard to collect.

Of course these are just my views. It is not my intention to put anyone off the game. I know a lot of people are enjoying Halo 5 and I hope they will continue to enjoy it. And even though my time with Halo 5 is over, I will definitely return to Halo 6. 343i is full of talented people and I know they have the skills to create Halo games that will satisfy the majority of the fans (Both Solo and Multiplayer). It is my hope the 343i will listen to what we, the fans, have to say and create a Halo game that truly captures what makes Halo one of the best Sci-fi universes ever. And when Halo 6 comes out, please 343i, have all the content available on the launch day. It will make a lot of people happy. I look forward to see what they will create (It can only get better ;p)

Well, this will probably be my last post for quite some time. So I will finish up by saying that I hope everyone continues to enjoy the Halo franchise and wish all of you good luck for the future. Thank you for reading and goodbye.

Well, you sold your game - in this case FAREWELL.

That sucks, especially when h5 is a great game.

The campaign was trash

I will never understand people who hated Halo 4’s campaign and yet liked 5’s. Makes no sense to me at all.

Stop reading after your second paragraph… you clearly didn’t pay match attention to the story in H5 because in the game they answered some of your questions you had. Also I dis agree with no character development. 343 has done way more with character development than bungie ever did. Some of which was in the game and some in content outside the game. But you have sold H5 so please just leave the forums as well. If you are done with Halo move on. I don’t see why some feel a need to make a soap box speech about how they are “done” with a particular game.

You were an 11

Didn’t even give it much time

> 2533274816788253;6:
> Stop reading after your second paragraph… you clearly didn’t pay match attention to the story in H5 because in the game they answered some of your questions you had. Also I dis agree with no character development. 343 has done way more with character development than bungie ever did.

Oh I guess it’s all hidden in Halo 5 because it went WAAAAAAAY over my head. Character development doesn’t count outside the game because not everyone follows the media outside the game. Even worse they gated the conclusion of Fireteam Majestic/Crimson (one of the two, I don’t know which) and the Janus key behind a freaking comic book. They seriously might as well have given Halsey’s arm back at this point.

I respectfully disagree with your points. I personally enjoyed the story very much. I was playing it and chasing it to see what was going on, especially after listening to hunt the truth I simply wanted to know more. They gave me a hook and I was happy with it. I liked the characters they introduced and a lot of their development and character traits/personalities are revealed as you play the game if you take the time to listen to what they’re saying. Vale a xenoanthropologist and expert in matters related to the sangheli and throughout the game she displays that knowledge through commenting on their behaviors, their rituals, and even speaks the language. She shows great curiosity as well as respect towards the sangheli. Tanaka is rougher around the edges. Her planet was glassed and she grew up in a harsh environment and learned to survive at a very young age. You hear this from when she’s having conversations with other team members. Buck is buck. Then you have Locke, a man of few words and does as he is told following orders to the tee. He is given a mission and he executes but there are two specific lines that he says. The first is when he gets the mission orders to go after the Chief and he turns to Buck and says “You’re not the only one who’s here because of him” and the other being that final moment “You’re not taking the Chief…”

Those two moments reveal behind that stoic professional exterior is a man who like many people in the world of Halo and for many of us who have played all of the Halo games view Master Chief as one thing…a Hero. In the Nightfall film someone questions what is something that Locke would die for. That was answered in that final moment when he fought through to keep the Chief.

Ultimately for me as a fan of Halo I liked the setup and I liked the new characters. I like the direction that 343i is going but I digress. I know why a lot of people don’t like the story but that was just my opinion. I can respect your opinion and distaste for the story and thats fine.

However - I think you’re completely wrong on the MP. Ive been playing this game since launch and it hasn’t gotten stale or boring. Every month we’re greeted with more content and more additions. You sit there and say well you wanted all of this all at once from the beginning. The fact of the matter is that the video game business is indeed a business. A business who’s product has not seen a price increase in the past 10+ years despite everything else increasing with inflation. Video games are not expensive purchases consider all the work and money that goes into it. The content that we’ve been receiving has been free to all players to ensure that the community doesn’t get fragmented. The pricing model for microtransactions make perfect sense and to me is an example of how MTs can be done right. But to say there is a lack of content?

But whats the point? You already sold the game so why even bother coming here to tell us of your grand exit. Maybe we’ll see you the next Halo - maybe not. Quite frankly it doesn’t really matter.

> 2533274800438887;8:
> > 2533274816788253;6:
> > Stop reading after your second paragraph… you clearly didn’t pay match attention to the story in H5 because in the game they answered some of your questions you had. Also I dis agree with no character development. 343 has done way more with character development than bungie ever did.
>
>
> Oh I guess it’s all hidden in Halo 5 because it went WAAAAAAAY over my head. Character development doesn’t count outside the game because not everyone follows the media outside the game. Even worse they gated the conclusion of Fireteam Majestic/Crimson (one of the two, I don’t know which) and the Janus key behind a freaking comic book. They seriously might as well have given Halsey’s arm back at this point.

Outside the game counts. Just because some choose not to follow that stuff doesn’t mean it’s not there.

Well, see you later man. Hopefully 343 can bring the campaign of Halo 4 and the multiplayer of Halo 5 together for Halo 6.

> 2533274820723637;9:
> I respectfully disagree with your points. I personally enjoyed the story very much. I was playing it and chasing it to see what was going on, especially after listening to hunt the truth I simply wanted to know more. They gave me a hook and I was happy with it. I liked the characters they introduced and a lot of their development and character traits/personalities are revealed as you play the game if you take the time to listen to what they’re saying. Vale a xenoanthropologist and expert in matters related to the sangheli and throughout the game she displays that knowledge through commenting on their behaviors, their rituals, and even speaks the language. She shows great curiosity as well as respect towards the sangheli. Tanaka is rougher around the edges. Her planet was glassed and she grew up in a harsh environment and learned to survive at a very young age. You hear this from when she’s having conversations with other team members. Buck is buck. Then you have Locke, a man of few words and does as he is told following orders to the tee. He is given a mission and he executes but there are two specific lines that he says. The first is when he gets the mission orders to go after the Chief and he turns to Buck and says “You’re not the only one who’s here because of him” and the other being that final moment “You’re not taking the Chief…”
>
> Those two moments reveal behind that stoic professional exterior is a man who like many people in the world of Halo and for many of us who have played all of the Halo games view Master Chief as one thing…a Hero. In the Nightfall film someone questions what is something that Locke would die for. That was answered in that final moment when he fought through to keep the Chief.
>
> Ultimately for me as a fan of Halo I liked the setup and I liked the new characters. I like the direction that 343i is going but I digress. I know why a lot of people don’t like the story but that was just my opinion. I can respect your opinion and distaste for the story and thats fine.
>
> However - I think you’re completely wrong on the MP. Ive been playing this game since launch and it hasn’t gotten stale or boring. Every month we’re greeted with more content and more additions. You sit there and say well you wanted all of this all at once from the beginning. The fact of the matter is that the video game business is indeed a business. A business who’s product has not seen a price increase in the past 10+ years despite everything else increasing with inflation. Video games are not expensive purchases consider all the work and money that goes into it. The content that we’ve been receiving has been free to all players to ensure that the community doesn’t get fragmented. The pricing model for microtransactions make perfect sense and to me is an example of how MTs can be done right. But to say there is a lack of content?
>
> But whats the point? You already sold the game so why even bother coming here to tell us of your grand exit. Maybe we’ll see you the next Halo - maybe not. Quite frankly it doesn’t really matter.

Exactly THIS!!! A lot of info was in H5 for those who actually paid attention to what was being said and what characters did… I would like this post 100 times if I could. This guy gets it.

> 2533274796058268;1:
>

Anyone want to start a poll on when this cat comes back?

Sorry see you go OP. Hopefully you won’t stray too far and that we will see you back in Halo again real soon. Have fun with whatever you’re doing / games you’re playing, we’ll still popping grunts splattering Spartans until then :slight_smile: