Overhaul Promethean weapons in Halo 5

I, with a little help from my friends, have been thinking of a way to overhaul Promethean weapons in Halo 5. After reading some posts and posting myself in this thread I had an epiphany and came up with these ideas:

First off, I think that all the weapons need to be changed right away. As they stand in Halo 4 most Promethean weapons are just copies of already existing weapons in the sandbox. On top of that, they should all be power weapons or at least pseudo-power weapons in order to properly represent how powerful the Forerunners are. These are my ideas:

Pulse Grenade-Should act as a mini energy drainer from Halo 3 that actually pulses. You should see the “energy field” disappear and then come back.
Scattershot-Should be combined with the Boltshot. Pulling the trigger rapidly should act as it does now, but holding the trigger should behave like the Boltshot does
Suppressor-Should be overhauled and be an equivalent of the SAW, and the SAW should be removed making the Suppressor the only automatic power weapon
Boltshot-Should be removed
Light Rifle-Should be identical to the Focus Rifle from Reach.
Binary Rifle-Should not be changed
Incineration Cannon-Should not be changed

After the removal of the Boltshot it would take the amount of Promethean weapons down to 6 (5 if you don’t count the Pulse Grenade), which is something that I find good. I feel like a futuristic society such as the Forerunners would have simplified everything down. They would have a small set of specialized weapons, and this would allow for that. Promethean weapons should also be all about efficiency, and the ammo system they use in Halo 4 just doesn’t seem efficient to me. Ammo in Promethean weapons should act like the battery/energy from Covie weapons, but walking over weapons will refill the battery like human weapons. There should be no reloading like there is now, it should be changed to overheating like the Covie weapons, and you should be able to force the cool-down like you can with the Plasma Repeater from Reach.

Promethean weapons should act as an ammo pickup for all other Promethean weapons. I know that this might be an issue with picking up a new one, or having two Promethean weapons at the same time. In order to fix this the battery should carry over and be shared. What I mean by this is that when you pick up a Promethean weapon it should have around 75% of its maximum battery power. All the batteries should be on the same scale, meaning that if you have an empty Light Rifle, and you walk over a Scattershot at 50% battery, your Light Rifle is now at 50% battery, the difference between weapons would be how much battery each shot takes up. If you drop a Promethean weapon in order to pick one up the one that you dropped’s excess battery should be carried over (obviously with a max of 100%.) If a player decides to have two Promethean weapons at the same time the battery power can go over 100%, meaning that if you wanted to you could carry an extra Promethean weapon with you for the sole purpose of giving you extra battery power for your Light Rifle, this would allow for Promethean weapons to work together unlike anything seen before in a Halo game giving them even more uniqueness.

This is where it gets even more interesting. After the the battery reaches 0% (or less battery than the weapon uses) you can still use the weapon. At this time firing the weapon will take away from your shields. While “running off” your shields these weapons would act differently. They would have significantly less power and/or have longer, more common, overheat/recharge issues. These are the ideas that I have come up with as the “secondary” fire mores of these weapons:

Scattershot-lose the ability to charge up a shot, can only fire one or two shots before overheating.
Suppressor-Overheats much faster, and has a slower fire rate
Light Rifle-change it back to the three round burst it is in Halo 4 (no power shots while zoomed) but with a slower fire fate, overheats after a couple of shots.
Binary Rifle-the power of its shots gets lowered to be about the same as DMR, keep the big red beam, overheats after a couple of shots
Incineration Cannon-it fires some sort of grenade thing with limited power, overheats after one shot.

These are obviously powerful, which I think they should be. In order to combat this they should be fairly rare drops, more rare than anything currently (you see one Incineration Cannon per game.)

For campaign, this change in fire style can be explained by the fact that Prometheans have more powerful power systems than Spartans/Elites, and the battery that we use is a power reserve that the weapon has within itself.

Edit: After thinking about it there is a possible issue with dropping a weapon with low battery percentage. What I have thought up is just make it so that after a weapon is dropped it is unable to be picked up again. Not perfect I know, but I don’t know exactly what to do about it. If I think something up I’ll post it.

You have no “I don’t like any of those changes” option, nor do you have an “I only like parts of these changes” option.

I kind of like the idea that promethian weapons run off a battery and overheat. I also like the idea that you can recharge them by running over another weapon, as this sets them apart from both covie and human gear.

I just don’t really think that having them be able to use energy from ANY other promethian weapon, or having a shared reserve when you are holding two, is worth the potential complications, both in how you handle energy transfers and in balancing the more powerful weapons now that ammunition for them is no FAR more plentiful. Not to mention other problems that none has thought of yet.

I think empty promotion weapons should just be empty, but I saw in one thread the idea that an empty promethian weapon might transform into a melee weapon (weaker sword or hammer, maybe?) and that I think works better than the feed off shields system, both for canon reasons as well as practical gameplay reasons. Draining your shields to fire a weakened version of a weapon seems to me like shooting yourself in the foot, not to mention being a bit OP, especially in the case of the incineration canon.

> You have no “I don’t like any of those changes” option, nor do you have an “I only like parts of these changes” option.
>
> <mark>I kind of like the idea that promethian weapons run off a battery and overheat. I also like the idea that you can recharge them by running over another weapon, as this sets them apart from both covie and human gear.</mark>
>
> <mark>I just don’t really think that having them be able to use energy from ANY other promethian weapon</mark>, or having a shared reserve when you are holding two, is worth the potential complications, both in how you handle energy transfers and in balancing the more powerful weapons now that ammunition for them is no FAR more plentiful. Not to mention other problems that none has thought of yet.
>
> <mark>I think empty promotion weapons should just be empty,</mark> but I saw in one thread the idea that an empty promethian weapon might transform into a melee weapon (weaker sword or hammer, maybe?) and that I think works better than the feed off shields system, both for canon reasons as well as practical gameplay reasons. Draining your shields to fire a weakened version of a weapon seems to me like shooting yourself in the foot, not to mention being a bit OP, especially in the case of the incineration canon.

I agree.

> <mark>You have no “I don’t like any of those changes” option, nor do you have an “I only like parts of these changes” option.</mark>
>
> I kind of like the idea that promethian weapons run off a battery and overheat. I also like the idea that you can recharge them by running over another weapon, as this sets them apart from both covie and human gear.
>
> I just don’t really think that having them be able to use energy from ANY other promethian weapon, or having a shared reserve when you are holding two, is worth the potential complications, both in how you handle energy transfers and in balancing the more powerful weapons now that ammunition for them is no FAR more plentiful. Not to mention other problems that none has thought of yet.
>
> I think empty promotion weapons should just be empty, but I saw in one thread the idea that an empty promethian weapon might transform into a melee weapon (weaker sword or hammer, maybe?) and that I think works better than the feed off shields system, both for canon reasons as well as practical gameplay reasons. Draining your shields to fire a weakened version of a weapon seems to me like shooting yourself in the foot, not to mention being a bit OP, especially in the case of the incineration canon.

I know. I screwed up the poll when creating it and have no clue how i can change it.