Overhaul on Vehicle Health

Since Reach vehicles have been able to take less and less damage then previous games. This for the most part needs to change in my opinion.

All vehicles should receive anywhere between a 30-50% boost in health, but to counter this we need to bring back something Halo 2/3 handled nicely, weak spots.

For example in Halo 2 the ghost had a fuel tank on the side that when shot with just a single burst of BR, would kill the vehicle and it’s user. Granted this is a little too drastic, but it isn’t unreasonable to bump that to 3-4 bursts.

In Halo 3 the engine in the wraith became exposed making attacks from behind something to be greatly feared when piloting the wraith. But it’s armor was very formidable up front.

What if shooting at the engines or rotors was an option for the falcon? Or why not bring back the revenant and make the engine showing through each side a potential game-changer?

I think if 343 were to buff all vehicles and then add a respective weak point, it’d make Infantry-Vehicle combat more exciting and skillful, and the natural order of things could return rather than DMR<Vehicle.

I’d also like to see Frag Grenades to flip warthogs and ghosts again. They don’t blow up the vehicle(unless of course, they’re pretty close to doing so anyways) and give the players inside to still have a chance to fight back.

We should tune down destroying the vehicle all the time. I like your idea, and I think this should also come back as well. It’s not overpowerering and is always a satisfying to see that a well placed grenade that you toss can put a bump into their rampage.

I definitely agree. Even before Fiesta Ordnance, PPs and PGs from loadouts, and the OP Mantis come into play, vehicles like the Warthog and Ghost seem almost made of paper.

> For example in Halo 2 the ghost had a fuel tank on the side that when shot with just a single burst of BR, would kill the vehicle and it’s user.

It actually only destroyed the vehicle, ejecting the driver unharmed. I did that many times in Halo 2 with the Sniper Rifle. Even though it was easier and more effective to simply headshot the driver, I enjoyed the satisfaction of being the only one of my friends skilled enough to pull it off. Seeing them all “wtf?!” was priceless.

> I’d also like to see Frag Grenades to flip warthogs and ghosts again. They don’t blow up the vehicle
> …
> We should tune down destroying the vehicle all the time.

I agree. Flipping vehicles with explosions in Halo 1 and 2 was fun, and I missed it in 3–they seemed to bounce instead of flip.

It led to engagements where after being flipped, the driver and passengers would have to defend themselves against their attackers and then be able to continue on.

In Halo 4, everyone just blows everything up. No one gives a Yoink.

Great ideas, OP. Vehicle combat is an integral part of Halo and it’s due for an overhaul, especially after the shamble of Halo 4’s vehicle sandbox.

Weak points are an excellent idea and can work a variety of different ways. It’s realistic, too… every vehicle has a weak point, be it treads on a tank, tail rotor on a helicopter, or the engine block/wheels of a car.

Personally, I always thought those jerry cans on the back of the warthog should be combustible when shot.

While I’m at it, I’d like to see more visual effects when Chief interacts with a vehicle. Maybe pull the camera out a bit, give us a more intense picture. Or heck, close in on the scene in and give us something like the crash scene in Reach’s Tip of the Spear campaign. That was cool. Adding aesthetic stuff like that to vehicle engagements could be a cool way of adding to the experience without significantly altering gameplay.

> Great ideas, OP. Vehicle combat is an integral part of Halo and it’s due for an overhaul, especially after the shamble of Halo 4’s vehicle sandbox.
>
> Weak points are an excellent idea and can work a variety of different ways. It’s realistic, too… every vehicle has a weak point, be it treads on a tank, tail rotor on a helicopter, or the engine block/wheels of a car.
>
> Personally, I always thought those jerry cans on the back of the warthog should be combustible when shot.
>
> While I’m at it, I’d like to see more visual effects when Chief interacts with a vehicle. <mark>Maybe pull the camera out a bit, give us a more intense picture.</mark> Or heck, close in on the scene in and give us something like the crash scene in Reach’s Tip of the Spear campaign. That was cool. Adding aesthetic stuff like that to vehicle engagements could be a cool way of adding to the experience without significantly altering gameplay.

What do you mean by that? Are you talking about that effect where the camera moves out when you speed up and moves in when you stop before moving back to a default distance?

> Great ideas, OP. Vehicle combat is an integral part of Halo and it’s due for an overhaul, especially after the shamble of Halo 4’s vehicle sandbox.
>
> Weak points are an excellent idea and can work a variety of different ways. It’s realistic, too… every vehicle has a weak point, be it treads on a tank, tail rotor on a helicopter, or the engine block/wheels of a car.
>
> Personally, I always thought those jerry cans on the back of the warthog should be combustible when shot.
>
> While I’m at it, I’d like to see more visual effects when Chief interacts with a vehicle. Maybe pull the camera out a bit, give us a more intense picture. Or heck, close in on the scene in and give us something like the crash scene in Reach’s Tip of the Spear campaign. That was cool. Adding aesthetic stuff like that to vehicle engagements could be a cool way of adding to the experience without significantly altering gameplay.

Such as once you’re shot down while respawning you watch your vehicle spin out of control and crash? That’d be cool. Or would it just down the vehicle and players would survive a crash?

I’d like to see the Mantis having a leg blown up and it falling down. Be yelling, “Timber!!”. Or having an “arm” blown off. Be driving a warthog and suddenly both wheels up front get shot off…causing you to flip. If the falcon or hornet come into play again one rotor/Wong gets clipped it starts spiraling to the ground…shooting as it’s going. Mantis would still be able to operate…just extremely handicapped…obviously wouldn’t be able to walk with no leg…no hoping either…just sits/lays there. Still be chugging along with one arm…or none.

> > Great ideas, OP. Vehicle combat is an integral part of Halo and it’s due for an overhaul, especially after the shamble of Halo 4’s vehicle sandbox.
> >
> > Weak points are an excellent idea and can work a variety of different ways. It’s realistic, too… every vehicle has a weak point, be it treads on a tank, tail rotor on a helicopter, or the engine block/wheels of a car.
> >
> > Personally, I always thought those jerry cans on the back of the warthog should be combustible when shot.
> >
> > While I’m at it, I’d like to see more visual effects when Chief interacts with a vehicle. Maybe pull the camera out a bit, give us a more intense picture. Or heck, close in on the scene in and give us something like the crash scene in Reach’s Tip of the Spear campaign. That was cool. Adding aesthetic stuff like that to vehicle engagements could be a cool way of adding to the experience without significantly altering gameplay.
>
> Such as once you’re shot down while respawning you watch your vehicle spin out of control and crash? That’d be cool. Or would it just down the vehicle and players would survive a crash?

Following Halo logic, only the pilot and whoever’s name is closest to O’Brien or something scottish sounding would die. Assuming Pelicans finally make it into Halo’s multiplayer outside of Halo PC, this should be heavily enforced.

> > Great ideas, OP. Vehicle combat is an integral part of Halo and it’s due for an overhaul, especially after the shamble of Halo 4’s vehicle sandbox.
> >
> > Weak points are an excellent idea and can work a variety of different ways. It’s realistic, too… every vehicle has a weak point, be it treads on a tank, tail rotor on a helicopter, or the engine block/wheels of a car.
> >
> > Personally, I always thought those jerry cans on the back of the warthog should be combustible when shot.
> >
> > While I’m at it, I’d like to see more visual effects when Chief interacts with a vehicle. <mark>Maybe pull the camera out a bit, give us a more intense picture.</mark> Or heck, close in on the scene in and give us something like the crash scene in Reach’s Tip of the Spear campaign. That was cool. Adding aesthetic stuff like that to vehicle engagements could be a cool way of adding to the experience without significantly altering gameplay.
>
> What do you mean by that? Are you talking about that effect where the camera moves out when you speed up and moves in when you stop before moving back to a default distance?

Sorry, not sure which effect you were asking about, but they’re all just general concepts either way. If you’re referring to TotS, then I’m thinking specifically of the scene where Kat accelerates you over the bombed out bridge. The vehicle is going to crash, and the camera puts you right over their shoulder so you see the horizon flip upside down and get to really experience the impact.

The above example wouldn’t necessarily work in Halo 5, but it illustrates what I’m after. Which, basically, is more creative use of 3rd person camera in a way that doesn’t negatively affect gameplay. Vehicles just seem like a great way to do this. We already do it with boarding so why not add some more animations and new scenarios? What if you have a little fistfight (jamming the Melee button) to unseat the driver? Good use of a 3rd person camera could show some really intense action…

Hope that helps to clarify!

> > > Great ideas, OP. Vehicle combat is an integral part of Halo and it’s due for an overhaul, especially after the shamble of Halo 4’s vehicle sandbox.
> > >
> > > Weak points are an excellent idea and can work a variety of different ways. It’s realistic, too… every vehicle has a weak point, be it treads on a tank, tail rotor on a helicopter, or the engine block/wheels of a car.
> > >
> > > Personally, I always thought those jerry cans on the back of the warthog should be combustible when shot.
> > >
> > > While I’m at it, I’d like to see more visual effects when Chief interacts with a vehicle. <mark>Maybe pull the camera out a bit, give us a more intense picture.</mark> Or heck, close in on the scene in and give us something like the crash scene in Reach’s Tip of the Spear campaign. That was cool. Adding aesthetic stuff like that to vehicle engagements could be a cool way of adding to the experience without significantly altering gameplay.
> >
> > What do you mean by that? Are you talking about that effect where the camera moves out when you speed up and moves in when you stop before moving back to a default distance?
>
> Sorry, not sure which effect you were asking about, but they’re all just general concepts either way. If you’re referring to TotS, then I’m thinking specifically of the scene where Kat accelerates you over the bombed out bridge. The vehicle is going to crash, and the camera puts you right over their shoulder so you see the horizon flip upside down and get to really experience the impact.
>
> The above example wouldn’t necessarily work in Halo 5, but it illustrates what I’m after. Which, basically, is more creative use of 3rd person camera in a way that doesn’t negatively affect gameplay. Vehicles just seem like a great way to do this. We already do it with boarding so why not add some more animations and new scenarios? What if you have a little fistfight (jamming the Melee button) to unseat the driver? Good use of a 3rd person camera could show some really intense action…
>
> Hope that helps to clarify!

Ya I kinda figured it wouldn’t work once I remembered Halo’s vehicles only go at a constant speed and it would get annoying trying to shoot people on the ghost or banshee since those are pretty much the only two vehicle that have drastic changes in speed.

Though I would like the covenant vehicles to regain that post destruction explosion where they make that noise while flipping around.

How about having the ability to bail out of a vehicle at top speed? Like you’re in a heavily damaged ghost that’s about to explode and you see a group of players near a wall. You drive towards them (while boosting) and hold (x) which causes your Spartan to bail out of the ghost, similar to how Chief bailed out of his ghost before going over that cliff, which then causes the ghost slide across the ground and explodes once it hits the wall killing the other player.

Boosted health across the board? Vehicle weakpoints?

I’m cool with all of that.

How about compartmentalized health? Take the Scorpion for instance.

Instead of having just one big health bar it actually has six. One for each tread, one for the body and one for the turret. You can go for shots on the treads which have less health than the body to disable the vehicle (two tracks on the same side) or slow it down (one track or two tracks in front or back) or go for the turret to declaw the beast.

This thread is making a LOT of good suggestions. I support pretty much everything that has been suggested so far.

> Boosted health across the board? Vehicle weakpoints?
>
> I’m cool with all of that.
>
> How about compartmentalized health? Take the Scorpion for instance.
>
> Instead of having just one big health bar it actually has six. One for each tread, one for the body and one for the turret. You can go for shots on the treads which have less health than the body to disable the vehicle (two tracks on the same side) or slow it down (one track or two tracks in front or back) or go for the turret to declaw the beast.

This would be awesome actually being able to disable vehicles in creative ways.