Overdue Review: Glasslands

IMO Glasslands was probably the most lacking Halo novel written to date. It had a very large psychological tint in it which I enjoyed (very detailed). And it also explains some about Elites/Humans and their relationship as well as ONI and their relationship with the rest of the UNSC. It announced some very controversial things and brought up some ideas that I myself was thinking as I was reading.

Now of course there was very little action, the demonization of Halsey and the Spartan-II Project and a very large portion of the book describing a huge “Forerunner Parking Garage” as I’ve seen some other Waypointer put it. (lol)

It was worth the read as it was more Halo backstory, but very tedious and at times frustrating.

I can’t say I look forward to more Karen Halo novels, but then I can’t say I don’t either.

Note I read it about 3 weeks after its release. I loved Crytum and am looking for Primordium right now.

Lacking? Lawl. Honestly, it was not lacking.

I think “lacking” does describe it accurately. There was a lack of info on many concepts, such as the S-IVs, why the main Elite characters hate humanity so much, Ash, Olivia and Mark had very little dialogue, Team Katana’s plight was pretty much ignored, the after-mentioned Forerunner Parking Garage (my term lol), and so on. Honestly, I feel like this was just to hype up the next books, but it ruins the literary value of Glasslands itself. Why bother reading it if nothing is even touched upon extensively?

it was not lacking, just because there not a ton of over the top action and killing doesn’t mean it’s lacking. but of course when i read a book, it’s for detailed info and insight. if want action and killing i watch a movie not read a book.

> it was not lacking, just because there not a ton of over the top action and killing doesn’t mean it’s lacking. but of course when i read a book, it’s for detailed info and insight. if want action and killing i watch a movie not read a book.

You assume everyone who says it was lacking refers to only action, that is flawed reasoning.

> > it was not lacking, just because there not a ton of over the top action and killing doesn’t mean it’s lacking. but of course when i read a book, it’s for detailed info and insight. if want action and killing i watch a movie not read a book.
>
> You assume everyone who says it was lacking refers to only action, that is flawed reasoning.

my post wasn’t directed to you cuz your post wasn’t up when i started typing. And btw i dont assume, i voice my opinion

> it was not lacking, just because there not a ton of over the top action and killing doesn’t mean it’s lacking. but of course when i read a book, it’s for detailed info and insight. if want action and killing i watch a movie not read a book.

Sure I like action, but don’t read a game-based novel for action. I read it for the story, and this part of the story was very poorly presented. Like Vader said it is just generally lacking the deeper details that I actually READ for.

> > it was not lacking, just because there not a ton of over the top action and killing doesn’t mean it’s lacking. but of course when i read a book, it’s for detailed info and insight. if want action and killing i watch a movie not read a book.
>
> Sure I like action, but don’t read a game-based novel for action. I read it for the story, and this part of the story was very poorly presented. Like Vader said it is just generally lacking the deeper details that I actually READ for.

That and you didn’t even mention anything about action in the first place.

ok well perhaps your not reading into the details you have deep enough, or perhaps they deliberately left out info for the next book.

> > > it was not lacking, just because there not a ton of over the top action and killing doesn’t mean it’s lacking. but of course when i read a book, it’s for detailed info and insight. if want action and killing i watch a movie not read a book.
> >
> > Sure I like action, but don’t read a game-based novel for action. I read it for the story, and this part of the story was very poorly presented. Like Vader said it is just generally lacking the deeper details that I actually READ for.
>
> That and you didn’t even mention anything about action in the first place.

so whats your point?

> ok well perhaps your not reading into the details you have deep enough, or perhaps they deliberately left out info for the next book.

Leaving out details just so the other book can use them cheapens the value of Glasslands itself. The whole “You aren’t reading it deep enough” is rather patronizing to.

im not trying to patronize, im just saying that maybe there is a hidden meaning

> im not trying to patronize, im just saying that maybe there is a hidden meaning

Let me ask you this one, what was the point of showing Installation 03 as a location and not even mentioning it’s existence directly referenced except near the Chapter heading in the book? ONI has a space station there and Halsey is on it, but nobody mentions the Halo right next to it. That is a lack of detail or foreshadowing.

Personally, it would’ve been better to have Halsey on the UNSC Point of No Return, ONI’s personal little flagship and then reveal Installation 03 in the sequel to Glasslands. Now that we know it’s there, it’s very underwhelming.

> > im not trying to patronize, im just saying that maybe there is a hidden meaning
>
> Let me ask you this one, what was the point of showing Installation 03 as a location and not even mentioning it’s existence directly referenced except near the Chapter heading in the book? ONI has a space station there and Halsey is on it, but nobody mentions the Halo right next to it. That is a lack of detail or foreshadowing.

I wouldn’t say that that is a lack of detail or foreshadowing. I see that as more of an easter egg/cliff hanger.

“Oooh, Halsey’s been left onboard a UNSC station orbiting another Halo. I wonder what will happen next?”

It wets your appertite for where she will take her next book.

And remember, if 343 thought the book was a ‘waste of 500 pages’, it wouldn’t have rolled out.

alterior motive for the ring in the story line, and giving away any info about it might ruin the surprise later

> > > im not trying to patronize, im just saying that maybe there is a hidden meaning
> >
> > Let me ask you this one, what was the point of showing Installation 03 as a location and not even mentioning it’s existence directly referenced except near the Chapter heading in the book? ONI has a space station there and Halsey is on it, but nobody mentions the Halo right next to it. That is a lack of detail or foreshadowing.
>
> I wouldn’t say that that is a lack of detail or foreshadowing. I see that as more of an easter egg/cliff hanger.
>
> “Oooh, Halsey’s been left onboard a UNSC station orbiting another Halo. I wonder what will happen next?”
>
> It wets your appertite for where she will take her next book.
>
> And remember, if 343 thought the book was a ‘waste of 500 pages’, it wouldn’t have rolled out.

I have my doubts on 343’s proofreading abilities. I mean, whoever let Lucy’s punch at Dr. Halsey pass, especially when it did very little damage, makes me worry.

> alterior motive for the ring in the story line, and <mark>giving away any info about it might ruin the surprise later</mark>

So why even mention it? The ring isn’t important to Glassland’s story in the slightest.

> I think “lacking” does describe it accurately. There was a lack of info on many concepts, such as the S-IVs, why the main Elite characters hate humanity so much, Ash, Olivia and Mark had very little dialogue, Team Katana’s plight was pretty much ignored, the after-mentioned Forerunner Parking Garage (my term lol), and so on. Honestly, I feel like this was just to hype up the next books, but it ruins the literary value of Glasslands itself. Why bother reading it if nothing is even touched upon extensively?

You know, I just now recognized that…

Team Katana in the slipspace pods are pretty much not even referenced/recognized in glasslands at all are they?

Like they don’t exist.

well sadly bungie is no longer in the picture, so the rules of the ball game have change…

> > alterior motive for the ring in the story line, and <mark>giving away any info about it might ruin the surprise later</mark>
>
> So why even mention it? The ring isn’t important to Glassland’s story in the slightest.

not yet