Outlines on Weapon Pickups

Do we think the weapon pickups in infinite will have the massive glowing outlines around them from Halo 5 or will just look normal?

I’d prefer no outlines. What about you guys?

I like it, but it should be an option.

The outlines were one of the new features I appreciated in H5. Past games always had the problem of not being able to select the right weapon if there were a bunch in a pile. Lore-wise, it seems like a logical step forward in Mjolnir’s ability to synchronize with weapons. Did you not like them only because they were too bright? If I’m nitpicking, that would be my one criticism as well.

> 2535466098043799;1:
> Do we think the weapon pickups in infinite will have the massive glowing outlines around them from Halo 5 or will just look normal?
>
> I’d prefer no outlines. What about you guys?

The only reason weapons needed the outlines in Halo 5 is because, like everything 343i has created (Halo CE Anniversary, Halo 4 and Halo 2 Anniversary) Halo 5’s aesthetics are cluttered and overdesigned/overdetailed. Textures and lighting should look realistic, but every weapon needs to be designed to appear more distinct and stand out from its environment. Fix these issues and we’ll no longer require the outlines.

> 2535415876049274;4:
> > 2535466098043799;1:
> > Do we think the weapon pickups in infinite will have the massive glowing outlines around them from Halo 5 or will just look normal?
> >
> > I’d prefer no outlines. What about you guys?
>
> The only reason weapons needed the outlines in Halo 5 is because, like everything 343i has created (Halo CE Anniversary, Halo 4 and Halo 2 Anniversary) Halo 5’s aesthetics are cluttered and overdesigned/overdetailed. Textures and lighting should look realistic, but every weapon needs to be designed to appear more distinct and stand out from its environment. Fix these issues and we’ll no longer require the outlines.

I can semi-agree with this. But I don’t believe this is the main reason for their inclusion.
I think it was a cool feature 343 saw from ODST and just incorporated it into newer titles.

I think it’s an a okay addition.

It would be nice to at least be presented with the option to toggle outlines. Personally I enjoy it in Halo 5 (considering how dark the colors are), but I’m sure others would prefer it off.

in general Im hoping infinite’s colors will be brighter which would minimize the need for outlines, but hopefully E3 gives us a better idea of what it will look like.

I think they will and I like them, helps easily recognize what’s there.

I like them but totally get why some would want it removed. Visually it clutters things up and from a competitive stand point it’s useless since those players know where most weapons are (and will be) anyway.

But as a more casual player I definitely consider it to be useful even if it were on a simpler and brighter colour palette. You never know when you miss a cool weapon.

I don’t mind it, but I would like it to be toggled on or off so if me or someone doesn’t like the outlines they have the option to turn it off

> 2533274824050480;3:
> The outlines were one of the new features I appreciated in H5. Past games always had the problem of not being able to select the right weapon if there were a bunch in a pile. Lore-wise, it seems like a logical step forward in Mjolnir’s ability to synchronize with weapons. Did you not like them only because they were too bright? If I’m nitpicking, that would be my one criticism as well.

ODST had it too.

> 2535466098043799;1:
> Do we think the weapon pickups in infinite will have the massive glowing outlines around them from Halo 5 or will just look normal?
>
> I’d prefer no outlines. What about you guys?

I don’t mind it, it should be optional.

> 2535415876049274;4:
> > 2535466098043799;1:
> > Do we think the weapon pickups in infinite will have the massive glowing outlines around them from Halo 5 or will just look normal?
> >
> > I’d prefer no outlines. What about you guys?
>
> The only reason weapons needed the outlines in Halo 5 is because, like everything 343i has created (Halo CE Anniversary, Halo 4 and Halo 2 Anniversary) Halo 5’s aesthetics are cluttered and overdesigned/overdetailed. Textures and lighting should look realistic, but every weapon needs to be designed to appear more distinct and stand out from its environment. Fix these issues and we’ll no longer require the outlines.

I agree. The overdesigned looks actually makes everything blend in. However, it would makes sense their suit be able to identify these things.

I really would prefer that there wouldn’t be outlines on allies/enemies/weapons/ vehicles etc unless it’s sometype of VISR from Halo 3: ODST or night vision type of thing from Halo Reach. For occasionally if the aesthetical design of the surroundings are well designed, I would sometimes prefer not to see those fancy smanchy digital enhancement mumbo jumbo to ruin the landscape.

“When I joined the Corps, we didn’t have any fancy-schmancy tanks. We had sticks! Two sticks, and a rock for the whole platoon—and we had to share the rock!”

It seems like a good addition so long as its something you can turn off and on

> 2533274822068856;2:
> I like it, but it should be an option.

This. I get tired of having a floor covered in blue outlines during some custom games

I hope there’s an ODST style visor. Or reach style night vision that outlines things subtely. The way Halo 5 is with the constant big blue outlines around weapons makes it seem to video gamey and immersion breaking. I know this is a video game but I like to see weapons on the floors in these worlds as they’d be like to look at for real. So the ODST visor would be the best option.

Have it be optional with the ability to override the player settings by the host gamemode settings, as to not break any potential modes that use or are broken by the outlines.