Outline system should be reworked or replaced

The outline system isn’t working, and it doesn’t look good. Here’s what I believe needs to happen (this also reflects the opinion of many others in several communities, which is largely what prompted me to write this):

  • You must be able to distinguish teammates individually through walls instead of having to guess whose outline is whose. Service tags would fix this easily; there was no need to remove them. - Enemy Spartans do not need outlines. Like in past games’ FFA or other games like Destiny, it’s easy to distinguish enemies because they lack an outline or marker. - The outlines interfere with immersion and cosmetic visibility, whether on teammates or enemies. Outlines should be ditched in favor of a return to the service tag system. It’s easy to tell friendlies from enemies based on the presence of a service tag or lack thereof, and it allows the customizations to be seen better by everyone without sacrificing team identifiability. - Shield color should not be tied to outline color, if outlines are to be kept.TLDR, it’s time we moved on from the archaic and dated Red vs Blue system, but not to outlines that block cosmetics and fail to distinguish teammates individually. Service tags alone should identify teammates. Ditch outlines and bring back service tags, but without team colors. Works just fine in many other games, and worked fine in FFA for years.

No matter what, I believe red vs blue should not return. Color customization should be visible. I am arguing that 343 should remove outlines entirely, using only service tag waypoints to distinguish friend from foe. This has been done by other games for over a decade. Take Destiny, for example. Players can easily distinguish teammates from enemies by the presence of absence of a waypoint above their heads.

I can agree but for the first part: identify teammates with outlines and service tags / gt for everyone. Enemies are more stealthy without the outline. Only everyone is going to wear matching colors to fit the level they are playing: eg snow level, wear a white armor.

> 2533274866693270;2:
> I can agree but for the first part: identify teammates with outlines and service tags / gt for everyone. Enemies are more stealthy without the outline. Only everyone is going to wear matching colors to fit the level they are playing: eg snow level, wear a white armor.

Wearing colors to fit a map doesn’t work due to shaders. Try that in Halo FFAs in past games, or in Destiny, or any other game that allows this and you’ll quickly find it makes no difference.

Enemies having outlines is plane stupid I agree. If teammates are already highlighted then enemies don’t need outlines at all, it’s completely superfluous

Agree, give players the option to switch back to red vs blue. I dont care about cosmetic spartans.

Honestly I just want Red Vs blue. I don’t care about seeing someone playing ronald mcdonald in multiplayer, nor them seeing my customization.

I prefer having custom colors, but no matter what, the outlines need to go.

So I was posting in a thread I created yesterday about this. If we are going to stick with the current outline system, try switching your friendlies to light green. That alone as made target identification much easier so far. However, the problem I see with the outlines is what if there is a enemy spartan with light green shaders? Well then we are back to the confusion again with the outlines. I still think Rocket League style colors would be best but that is my opinion.

There was no reason to shift away from Service Tags as teammate markers. They allow for quick identification of individual teammates, add a layer of customization, and allow custom colors to come through without being shaded.

> 2533274907207100;9:
> There was no reason to shift away from Service Tags as teammate markers. They allow for quick identification of individual teammates, add a layer of customization, and allow custom colors to come through without being shaded.

Service tags are in the game… just not used in the flight. I imagine they will be used in the game going forward.

> 2533274800746556;8:
> So I was posting in a thread I created yesterday about this. If we are going to stick with the current outline system, try switching your friendlies to light green. That alone as made target identification much easier so far.

Plus one. I changed to light green and it works 100x better for me.

> 2533274907207100;3:
> > 2533274866693270;2:
> > I can agree but for the first part: identify teammates with outlines and service tags / gt for everyone. Enemies are more stealthy without the outline. Only everyone is going to wear matching colors to fit the level they are playing: eg snow level, wear a white armor.
>
> Wearing colors to fit a map doesn’t work due to shaders. Try that in Halo FFAs in past games, or in Destiny, or any other game that allows this and you’ll quickly find it makes no difference.

Forgive my ignorance… but what do we mean by shaders in this instance?

If someone is wearing white on a snow map… or black in the shadows… are they not harder to see?

And I was reading a discussion recently on graphics and how the increasing realism is making it harder to make characters / objects stand out at a distance. Just like in real life - without a colour contrast or movement it is very easy to miss things. So games have to be super concious of making the points of interest stand out.

> 2585548714655118;10:
> > 2533274907207100;9:
> > There was no reason to shift away from Service Tags as teammate markers. They allow for quick identification of individual teammates, add a layer of customization, and allow custom colors to come through without being shaded.
>
> Service tags are in the game… just not used in the flight. I imagine they will be used in the game going forward.
>
>
>
>
> > 2533274800746556;8:
> > So I was posting in a thread I created yesterday about this. If we are going to stick with the current outline system, try switching your friendlies to light green. That alone as made target identification much easier so far.
>
> Plus one. I changed to light green and it works 100x better for me.
>
>
>
>
> > 2533274907207100;3:
> > > 2533274866693270;2:
> > > I can agree but for the first part: identify teammates with outlines and service tags / gt for everyone. Enemies are more stealthy without the outline. Only everyone is going to wear matching colors to fit the level they are playing: eg snow level, wear a white armor.
> >
> > Wearing colors to fit a map doesn’t work due to shaders. Try that in Halo FFAs in past games, or in Destiny, or any other game that allows this and you’ll quickly find it makes no difference.
>
> Forgive my ignorance… but what do we mean by shaders in this instance?
>
> If someone is wearing white on a snow map… or black in the shadows… are they not harder to see?
>
> And I was reading a discussion recently on graphics and how the increasing realism is making it harder to make characters / objects stand out at a distance. Just like in real life - without a colour contrast or movement it is very easy to miss things. So games have to be super concious of making the points of interest stand out.

Battlefield is the only example I can think of where camo matters, but it was designed that way. In Halo, not only are you constantly moving (which makes camo nearly useless), but the way light interacts with player models makes them stick out like a sore thumb. You might blend in slightly, but the difference is negligible, just as the blending of blue team’s colors on previous games’ maps were. Shaders determine, among other things, how light interacts with objects. Halo’s shaders aren’t meant to blend and facilitate camouflage like Battlefield’s or some other games, and thus the difference in armor colors aren’t competitively relevant.

If I’m using the wrong term, someone correct me, though the principle I’m describing is the same.

I agree. Red versus blue. Keep it simple. Place a service tag above friendlies. That’s a perfect system. A specific color when they are in battle and a big red x when they die. Don’t fix what’s not broken please.

I managed to get used to the outline system and don’t mind it that much. What I do mind is that I can’t tell when the enemy has broken shields, since shield color is tied into the outline color for whatever reason.

Service tags still exist, just not in the alpha build, but there is an option to turn them on.

You can change the player outlines in the settings.

I could not agree more. The enemies outlines should not be at the game, they are distracting, take away from the visuals of the game, it makes harder to identify when the enemy is using overshield or when an enemies shields are up or down and ruins a stealth playstyle. A solution for that would be a system where the allies are the only one outlined and using service tags, with customizable allies outline colors and colorblind filters for accessibility.

  1. This won’t work vs real player you need to something to differentiate enemy and friendly
  2. Service tags will return
  3. The should have the option to turn it off just like they have the option to change the color
    I like the outlines it’s better than red vs blue imo. I changed Friendly’s to yellow (look like the classic h3 shield and doesn’t interfere with players looks) and made enemies dark red. (Red is universally a threat color. Weapons like the hydra, and rockets highlight enemy in red so it only make sense)

I really like the outline system but service tags would improve it soooo much better

> 2533274942655628;17:
> 1. This won’t work vs real player you need to something to differentiate enemy and friendly
> 2. Service tags will return
> 3. The should have the option to turn it off just like they have the option to change the color
> I like the outlines it’s better than red vs blue imo. I changed Friendly’s to yellow (look like the classic h3 shield) and made enemies dark red

I don’t think you read my post. On your first point, you can distinguish friend and for by who has a marker and who doesn’t, just like in… every other game ever, pretty much. Outlines aren’t necessary.

It just seems completely contrary to their goal of allowing players to use their specific colors/skins. Everything is currently just a sea of red or pineapple and it is downright jarring to look at at times. They have probably already done this for future builds but the outline should be very sharp and minimal and/or the usual red enemy name should be above each players head. This would allow enemies to be clearly distinguished while still allowing armor colors/skins to be clearly visible.