Our MP Spartan should've been on Fireteam Osiris

Part of what made Reach’s campaign work as well as it did, despite lacking the Chief’s proven appeal for gamers, was because Bungie gave players a great replacement; themselves.

Given that precedent, I find it disappointing that 343 didn’t do something similar in Halo 5, especially considering the fact that they had the perfect opportunity to do so with the Introduction of Osiris, which could’ve easily been worked to facilitated a ‘Noble 6’-type character for players to inhabit.

Obviously, this game is what it is, and that’s not gonna change. BUT, it seems clear that MS and 343 want to expand the franchise beyond just the Chief’s story, which is great; I’m just hoping that they take the opportunity to let players put ourselves into the story, again.

Anyone else? Just a thought. :stuck_out_tongue:

Noble Six wasn’t that compelling of a character, however much it was “us”. I much prefer Osiris since their actual characters.

Said it in another thread. SHould of dropped Tankanandakaklaka. ANd have our Spartan be the 4th. Vale and buck have interesting back stories and already had fans. Locke was less loved, but you need a lead for the squad and a silent player cant be the lead.

> 2533274848838319;3:
> Said it in another thread. SHould of dropped Tankanandakaklaka. ANd have our Spartan be the 4th. Vale and buck have interesting back stories and already had fans. Locke was less loved, but you need a lead for the squad and a silent player cant be the lead.

Unless they made the squad leader our Spartan and Locke a partner but I don’t know how that would work. Noble 6 wasn’t really a silent character I mean he was silent but does talk a lot in cinematics.

> 2533274848838319;3:
> Said it in another thread. SHould of dropped Tankanandakaklaka. ANd have our Spartan be the 4th. Vale and buck have interesting back stories and already had fans. Locke was less loved, but you need a lead for the squad and a silent player cant be the lead.

I find Tanaka’s back story more compelling than Vale’s honestly. Surviving a glassed planetc takes a special kind of bad-a.

> 2533274812652989;2:
> Noble Six wasn’t that compelling of a character, however much it was “us”. I much prefer Osiris since their actual characters.

I liked Osiris, but I’d hardly call them compelling, either. Slightly more depth than Noble Team, but not amazing (as with pretty much the entire Halo 5 story, unfortunately).

But, I get what you’re saying. Ultimately, I’d like a balance of both worlds; a Noble 6-type Spartan for players, but better-developed characters alongside him/her to deliver a stronger story.

> 2533274812652989;2:
> Noble Six wasn’t that compelling of a character, however much it was “us”. I much prefer Osiris since their actual characters.

The “Character” status of 75% of Osiris can be debated, let’s be real.

> 2533274805075298;7:
> > 2533274812652989;2:
> > Noble Six wasn’t that compelling of a character, however much it was “us”. I much prefer Osiris since their actual characters.
>
>
> The “Character” status of 75% of Osiris can be debated, let’s be real.

If one didn’t pay attention, perhaps.

> 2533274848838319;3:
> Locke was less loved, but you need a lead for the squad and a silent player cant be the lead.

100% agree. As it is, Locke still delivered all the cliché “we should head to [insert objective], Spartans!” dialogue, just like every other typical lead NPC, so his overall character could’ve been exactly the same.

If I’m gonna have to put up with that awful, pandering dialogue, I’d much rather have it come from another character, NOT mine. :stuck_out_tongue:

> 2533274812652989;2:
> Noble Six wasn’t that compelling of a character, however much it was “us”. I much prefer Osiris since their actual characters.

I would argue that they’re all pretty bland and useless, perhaps barring Buck.

> 2533274846978810;10:
> > 2533274812652989;2:
> > Noble Six wasn’t that compelling of a character, however much it was “us”. I much prefer Osiris since their actual characters.
>
>
> I would argue that they’re all pretty bland and useless, perhaps barring Buck.

Why would you argue that? I’d argue that Osiris could have used more screentime, but Buck’s acceptance as the only good character in Halo 5 seems to be riding more on him being a fan favorite than any actual development he got in Halo 5.

> 2533274812652989;8:
> > 2533274805075298;7:
> > > 2533274812652989;2:
> > > Noble Six wasn’t that compelling of a character, however much it was “us”. I much prefer Osiris since their actual characters.
> >
> >
> > The “Character” status of 75% of Osiris can be debated, let’s be real.
>
>
> If one didn’t pay attention, perhaps.

Witty gameplay dialgoue and novels of backstory don’t really count in my opinion

> 2533274812652989;11:
> > 2533274846978810;10:
> > > 2533274812652989;2:
> > > Noble Six wasn’t that compelling of a character, however much it was “us”. I much prefer Osiris since their actual characters.
> >
> >
> > I would argue that they’re all pretty bland and useless, perhaps barring Buck.
>
>
> Why would you argue that? I’d argue that Osiris could have used more screentime, but Buck’s acceptance as the only good character in Halo 5 seems to be riding more on him being a fan favorite than any actual development he got in Halo 5.

The only reason I consider him a better character is because he already had all the developmebt he needed in ODST. I already knew the character, so I didn’t necessarily need any development for him. The rest of them, being new, definitely needed 343i’s attention in the writing. Which they didn’t get, aside from some in game dialogue.

Osiris has about as much character as our multiplayer Spartans anyway, so why the hell not.

> 2535409489305717;4:
> > 2533274848838319;3:
> > Noble 6 wasn’t really a silent character I mean he was silent but does talk a lot in cinematics.

This is 6’s longest line.

“Negative. I have the gun. Good luck, sir.”

Not exactly alot. Bungie went out of their way to make 6 feel like our Spartan so lines were kept to a minimum. They did the same thing for Chief in Halo CE. 6 was a mysterious stranger with very little revealed about him. Every member of Osiris had a back story and personality support in and out of game and a huge amount of dialog.

> 2533274846978810;12:
> > 2533274812652989;8:
> > > 2533274805075298;7:
> > > > 2533274812652989;2:
> > > > Noble Six wasn’t that compelling of a character, however much it was “us”. I much prefer Osiris since their actual characters.
> > >
> > >
> > > The “Character” status of 75% of Osiris can be debated, let’s be real.
> >
> >
> > If one didn’t pay attention, perhaps.
>
>
> Witty gameplay dialgoue and novels of backstory don’t really count in my opinion

So Locke’s respect for the Chief and seeming inspiration by the Chief to be a Spartan as shown in his statement to Buck don’t count? Or perhaps how while Buck is distrustful of the Meridian colonists, Locke suppresses any distrust he might have by going out of his way to be diplomatic, even respecting Sloan as if he were a real person and not an AI even after they learn the truth? I’d say even his brief interaction with the Arbiter shows him trying to establish a working relationship with Thel despite knowing full well his history with Thel as well his switch from capturing to rescuing Chief show how adaptable Locke’s mindset is (makes me wonder what his ONI assassin missions might have been like as a result). Heck, Locke gets to the brink of death to save Chief from Cortana at the end and shows how much loyalty and trust he still has in Chief, perhaps tying back to his reaction to Buck from earlier.

Maybe I’m just seeing what I want to see, but I didn’t need any books or ambient dialogue to get that. I will say I would have liked more.

You mean like noble six nah six and the rookie where blank slates what we wore and did made the personality of noble six and the rookie but osris its with characters that need to be delveloped so no but the idea is very good

Nah, what about how your character looks, op. Are we going to strut our stuff in recruit armour?

> 2533274812652989;16:
> > 2533274846978810;12:
> > > 2533274812652989;8:
> > > > 2533274805075298;7:
> > > > > 2533274812652989;2:
> > > > > Noble Six wasn’t that compelling of a character, however much it was “us”. I much prefer Osiris since their actual characters.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > The “Character” status of 75% of Osiris can be debated, let’s be real.
> > >
> > >
> > > If one didn’t pay attention, perhaps.
> >
> >
> > Witty gameplay dialgoue and novels of backstory don’t really count in my opinion
>
>
> Maybe I’m just seeing what I want to see, but I didn’t need any books or ambient dialogue to get that. I will say I would have liked more.

Osiris had some degree of character nuance, but not much more than that, man. Most of what you’ve listed are the foundations for potentially unique characters, but since the game neither expounds on these foundations, or even uses them for any purpose, most of Osiris’ member remain little more than basic character shells/archetypes.

None of them have any noticeable effect on the plot, whatsoever. I’m a big fan of the novels, and I absolutely “pay attention,” as you put it, but these characters are still very shallow, even if you pay attention to all the little details throughout the campaign.

> 2533274860062662;18:
> Nah, what about how your character looks, op. Are we going to strut our stuff in recruit armour?

Have you played Reach?
It changes depending on what your multiplayer spartan looks like.