Opinions on sound-effects in Halo 4?

Absolutely fantastic in my highly opinionated opinion. This is one of the things about this game I really think 343i nailed head on. If nothing else for this game, they completely outdid BUNGiE on their sound-effects.

Yeah, other than the Flood. Seriously, they sound like dying horses.

Doesn’t exactly strike fear into you, especially not compared to the incoming Flood attack sound from Halo 2.

Only lackluster SFX in my opinion are the UNSC Pistol and the Grav Hammer, otherwise I agree they’re the best yet! The AR is the best iteration yet IMHO. And the Forerunner SFX are beyond cool. Makes me wish i had a better stereo.

They’re ok. Vehicle-emitted sound effects have a serious issue though. I can never seem to hear vehicles that are directly behind me but I can hear a BR burst from across the map. Makes no sense.

I prefer the sound effects from previous games. Halo 4 isn’t terrible…but dear lord what did they do to the BR?

Oh man the first time I heard that warthog engine oh my. Sounds like it has some serious power.

Love all sounds except;

1. Spartan Laser (for some reason whenever I fire it, the noise at the end reminds me of someone shouting. The H4 Spartan Laser also sounds a bit whiny to me)

2. Battle Rifle - it sounds like crickets!

Sound effects seems to glitch a lot in this game, though. Weapons will make their third person sound when fired in first person occassionally. Vehicle engines sometimes take a few seconds to become audible.

There’s also the problem with the Energy Sword, which sometimes has no sound when drawn, with the Covenant voices, which often continue speaking even after they’re been killed.

Most of them are great, but they are so loud they drown out soundtrack, ambience, and dialogue.

The only thing I don’t like is the sound of the Gravity Hammer, besides that, I’m pretty much content with the sound sfx.

Also, warthog sounds “cartoony” a bit.

I think H4 did an amazing job with the sound effects, though I have to agree with the others about the Battle Rifle sounding lame.

The sniper sound is horrible :frowning:

Personally I’m not a fan of the sound FX in Halo 4. Everything sounds too robotic to me.

Vechile sounds are good but I miss old Spartan laser, Sniper rifle, Shotgun, Needler, Plasma pistol, Missile launcher sounds. :frowning: Flood sounds could be more creepier in my opnion it took me while in Halo 2 just to go Flood area because their terrifying sounds.

You know that glitch that lets you fire only 1 or 2 bullets in a BR burst? well the actual sound is the burst, there is no sound for individual shots

The warthog engine sounds like what the mongoose engine should sound like…

Also, is it just me, or do all the plasma weapons sound like useless paintball guns?

The problem for the sound effects for me:

3rd- person ( someone else’s) sounds are COMPLETELY different to your sound. All the guns in 3rd person sound awful. The Gravity hammer is worse for this. Since when does a Gravity hammer ‘PEW’?

The DMR sounds like a Pee-Shooter in 3rd person.
Battle Rifle sounds… odd, it sounds like a Grasshopper in 3rd person.

The only one I don’t really like is the BR. Would like it to be more bad–Yoink-. Other than that, though, I think they’re fantastic.

> The problem for the sound effects for me:
>
> 3rd- person ( someone else’s) sounds are COMPLETELY different to your sound. All the guns in 3rd person sound awful. The Gravity hammer is worse for this. Since when does a Gravity hammer ‘PEW’?
>
> The DMR sounds like a Pee-Shooter in 3rd person.
> Battle Rifle sounds… odd, it sounds like a Grasshopper in 3rd person.

In third person, the DMR sounds like someone headbanging a metal trashcan. In general, the way many of the sound effects translate over distance is really weird, and the environment seems inconsequential. The overall quality of the sound effects is good, but how those sound effects are affected by environment and distance took a major downgrade to previous titles. Honestly, it seems like they completely redid Marty O’Donnel and Co.'s audio work, which was far above AAA standard in Reach. I do know, however, that it was pretty resource heavy, requiring a lot of processing power just for sounds. Maybe 343 made cuts here.

The quality is good, but the sound effects themselves are weird. I prefer the old ones.

Footsteps are too loud.