Opinions on Arbiter Missions

What is the public’s opinion around missions focused around the Arbiter on campaign? Should their be missions where we get to play as the Arbiter or not?

It’s a nice idea. I do not see this coming though…

> It’s a nice idea. I do not see this coming though…

Hmm. Have you ever played Halo 2?

I thought it was ok in Halo 2, but I wasn’t a huge fan of it. It didn’t really feel like a necessary part of the story. At one point you were fighting the Covies (and Elites), the next you were racing the humans to the activation index as Arby. It kinda messed with the flow of the story. I wouldn’t expect it in Halo 4. I’d rather it not return as I prefer playing as a Spartan anyway.

I loved it. It showed us the workings of the Covenant for the first time, and I really missed that in Reach. Also, I enjoyed the anticipation of playing Master Chief and being Arby for a little while and vice versa.

It was a pretty big surprise to me that the Arbiter was playable when I ran through Halo 2 for the first time. I’m not even sure when or if Bungie revealed his importance to the campaign. It’s certainly not in any trailers.

> > It’s a nice idea. I do not see this coming though…
>
> Hmm. Have you ever played Halo 2?
>
> I thought it was ok in Halo 2, but I wasn’t a huge fan of it. It didn’t really feel like a necessary part of the story. At one point you were fighting the Covies (and Elites), the next you were racing the humans to the activation index as Arby. It kinda messed with the flow of the story. I wouldn’t expect it in Halo 4. I’d rather it not return as I prefer playing as a Spartan anyway.

Imagine Halo without those missions in Halo 2? No one would understand or care about the Covenant…

As for The Arbiter, they should give him his own standalone game like ODST and make Halo 5 about the Forerunners much like the Covenant.

I liked that it gave us a look at the covenant side of things, it allowed us to understand bits of the story we wouldn’t have otherwise. But gameplay wise I was not much for it, it kinda messed with the flow. If it were done better I would enjoy it, however I can’t see anything like it being used unless we perhaps find the Dyson Sphere where Halsey and those handful of Spartans are and switch between Chief and those guys either in gameplay or cutscenes.

> I loved it. It showed us the workings of the Covenant for the first time, and I really missed that in Reach. Also, I enjoyed the anticipation of playing Master Chief and being Arby for a little while and vice versa.
>
> It was a pretty big surprise to me that the Arbiter was playable when I ran through Halo 2 for the first time. I’m not even sure when or if Bungie revealed his importance to the campaign. It’s certainly not in any trailers.

I loved the Arbiter bits of Halo 2 but i do agree that Bungie didn’t relay that to the fans correctly in the trailers. It would have been much easier to accept were it known ahead of time before release.

Instead, we (the players) were hyped up to defend Earth from the invasion and kick a lot of Covenant -Yoink-. We only get three missions before the transition to the Arbiter levels, Delta Halo, and High Charity.

Still, i think it payed off as the character became quite popular and i liked how Bungie gave us more insight to the Covenant and the motivations that drive them to wipe out the humans and walk the path of “The Great Journey”.

Since Halo 4 is going to be Chief and Cortana’s story, having Arbiter missions would feel forced and unnecessary. However, i would love to see the character return as a major protagonist as he’s an important and powerful individual in the Haloverse via gameplay partner or at least in cutscenes.

When the stated intention of Halo 4 is to flush out John’s character and his relationship with Cortana I don’t think you really make much of a contribution to the game by making it about someone else.

I have nothing against the Abiter but it would be compromising to make him a central part of the campaign.

I wasn´t a big fan of the Arbiter missions. I just wanted to kill Covenant and defend Earth.

That idea about a stand alone game with the Arbiter though MIGHT not be a bad idea if done correctly…

I would love it if the Arbiter got a spinoff game of his own ala ODST (so long as Kieth David returned to voice him). I just played through Halo 2 again this week and realized how much more fun I had with him than playing as the Chief in the same game. Maybe it’s just his outlook or the setting, but the Arbiter segments seem much deeper than the Chief’s.

However, we’ll see what happens. I’d hate to see the Arbiter reduced to nothing but a side-character after the first trilogy though…

I think it would be a neat idea for spartan ops

Halo 5/6 could possibly switch between the arbiter and John, because we don’t know the storyline and where its set for them yet.

I would prefer a spin-off though, like ODST, where you play as the arbiter or a new elite that would end up tying with the main trilogy.

I liked the Arbiter missions in Halo 2 almost more than I liked the Master Chief missions. They added perspective and depth to the story.

I can see that happening in 5 or 6, DLC, or side games.