Opinion: Perks don't belong in Halo - anywhere

One of my biggest issues with Halo 5’s actual gameplay, specific to Warzone, is armor mods. Let’s not kid ourselves here; once REQ level 5 is reached, perks are introduced into Warzone matches. I have a fundamental disagreement with these “armor mods” being included in any serious, sizable version of Halo multiplayer, and I would like to know how the community feels about this.

In my view, fundamental gameplay mechanics should never, ever be unpredictably altered. That is, if you hit someone in the head with a sniper, and they do not have visible overshields, that person should respectively be “sniped” - dead. It is a fundamental function of Halo, which is why it is extremely frustrating for anyone to call in a sniper, use a precious bullet of that majestic weapon - perfectly - only to be denied by someone with the Enhanced Shields armor mod, which is something you could have never predicted.

I can’t predict that 1 in 20 people will have the Advanced Sensors mod, essentially rendering the radar useless for me for only that one specific person. How is that predictable and fun in any way for someone who is opposing it? How is this different from Halo 4’s vastly criticized Ordnance system that 343 acknowledged was a mistake?

Am I supposed to just know which of the 1 of 20 people selected the mod where their shields recharge while sprinting, and thus anticipate that a fleeing enemy will have their shields back by the time I get to them?

Armor mods are pretty uncommon still, but as the game is played more and more, everyone is going to start having these mods, essentially taking us back to Halo 4 once REQ level 5 is reached. I thought everyone collectively learned from Halo 4 that Halo’s identity is not forced randomness. Warzone is random enough by nature at that.

Even the one and only casual aspect of the game is subjected to the scrutiny of the “hardcore” audience.

Warzone is a more laid back, casual gamemode, so I don’t think it’s too big of a deal, personally.

> 2728966917079826;2:
> Even the one and only casual aspect of the game is subjected to the scrutiny of the “hardcore” audience.

I’m not “the hardcore audience.” I’m “your average - maybe slightly above average - Halo player”. You seem to have the same problem 343 has: perceiving in absolutes.

No, 343, just because we are tired of not having ranked for two Halo games does not mean that we hate social and don’t want social playlists.

No, forum person, just because I like Halo for a set of established core ideas it’s maintained through its most popular titles does not mean that I hate fun, I am overly competitive, and I want every even match to result in a one kill difference, with me sweating the entire time.

> 2533274812390628;4:
> > 2728966917079826;2:
> > Even the one and only casual aspect of the game is subjected to the scrutiny of the “hardcore” audience.
>
>
> I’m not “the hardcore audience.” I’m “your average - maybe slightly above average - Halo player”. You seem to have the same problem 343 has: perceiving in absolutes.
>
> No, 343, just because we are tired of not having ranked for two Halo games does not mean that we hate social and don’t want social playlists.
>
> No, forum person, just because I like Halo for a set of established core ideas it’s maintained through its most popular titles does not mean that I hate fun, I am overly competitive, and I want every even match to result in a one kill difference, with me sweating the entire time.

Warzone is supposed to be a wacky, off the wall, frantic mess. They added in over-powered weapons and vehicles, a boss-stealing score system and armor mods that change how you decide to play in the Halo apocalypse. The mode isn’t supposed to be balanced, armor mods are one of the few throwbacks to Halo 4 that survived the hard metamorphosis that turned Halo 5 into the competitive nightmare that it is now.

Getting mad that someone has enhanced shields? Spawn with an OP weapon. Warzone was built to be “fun” not competitive and balanced.

> 2533274796013457;3:
> Warzone is a more laid back, casual gamemode, so I don’t think it’s too big of a deal, personally.

> 2728966917079826;2:
> Even the one and only casual aspect of the game is subjected to the scrutiny of the “hardcore” audience.

Not sure how you can say that warzone is laid back or casual; anything short of Oceans 11 communication leaves your odds of success unfavorable in a gametype which revolves around getting the right shot at the right time.

I agree OP. I don’t even hardly play Warzone because the Req system is essentially a bigger modified ordnance system. You can spawn with whatever you may need depending on your req level.

> 2533274823519895;6:
> Not sure how you can say that warzone is laid back or casual; anything short of Oceans 11 communication leaves your odds of success unfavorable in a gametype which revolves around getting the right shot at the right time.

Personally I don’t feel that Warzone actually plays casually, its a freakin’ mess. However it was built to house all the people who wanted a casual experience as an alternative to Arena.

> 2728966917079826;5:
> > 2533274812390628;4:
> > > 2728966917079826;2:
> > > Even the one and only casual aspect of the game is subjected to the scrutiny of the “hardcore” audience.
> >
> >
> > I’m not “the hardcore audience.” I’m “your average - maybe slightly above average - Halo player”. You seem to have the same problem 343 has: perceiving in absolutes.
> >
> > No, 343, just because we are tired of not having ranked for two Halo games does not mean that we hate social and don’t want social playlists.
> >
> > No, forum person, just because I like Halo for a set of established core ideas it’s maintained through its most popular titles does not mean that I hate fun, I am overly competitive, and I want every even match to result in a one kill difference, with me sweating the entire time.
>
>
> Warzone is supposed to be a wacky, off the wall, frantic mess. They added in over-powered weapons and vehicles, a boss-stealing score system and armor mods that change how you decide to play in the Halo apocalypse. The mode isn’t supposed to be balanced, armor mods are one of the few throwbacks to Halo 4 that survived the hard metamorphosis that turned Halo 5 into the competitive nightmare that it is now.
>
> Getting mad that someone has enhanced shields? Spawn with an OP weapon. Warzone was built to be “fun” not competitive and balanced.

Warzone was not marketed by 343 to be “wacky” - that’s Action Sack, which I’m sure is coming soon.

I’m pretty sure the fact that they literally paid people to balance Warzone kind of defeats the notion that it’s “not supposed to be balanced,” which really isn’t even relevant. I never claimed Warzone was not balanced; in fact I find it to be relatively well-balanced.

Warzone is basically all that 343/Microsoft wanted in all MP, but was rejected from the community… That’s the message I hear on every topic regarding Warzone.

Oh stop -Yoink!- and moaning. You knew exactly that Warzone was “unbalanced” and what it was going to be months in advance of launch. That’s why there’s the more competitive “balanced” Arena mode. You have no reason to complain when it’s already two months in. You knew Warzone in and out four months ago

Fools and unwise. Just be happy that we have another Halo. The super competive complain about one thing while the casuals complain about somthing else. And talk about sales. I -Yoink- you not, 75 precent of my friends stoped playing Halo after 3. Why? Because they were tired of the same old -Yoink- from Bungie game after game. And so was I. There are to many options out there now a days. Halo lost its luster long ago. All that being said, I don’t like the campaign in Halo 5 but the multiplayer is the funnest I’ve ever had in the game since CE.

Sure, it’s weird having people with abilities that don’t jive with the standard gameplay elements (e.g. overshields are visible, everyone has same health recharge rate, standard frag grenade starts, etc…), but the way I see it is that Warzone is supposed to be Sandbox-ish like that. It’s the game mode that allows to super casuals to play to a more fantastic style. No more fighting with the “pros” over who gets what weapons or what vehicles. To each their own.