Open-World Spartan Ops?

What do you guys think about an Open-World, “Global Battle” style Spartan Ops? For example: A company of Spartan IV’s are deployed on a planet alongside a modified Mammoth as a mobile Command and Control vehicle. You are tasked with destroying key targets: AA guns, generators, etc… You return to the Mammoth after missions, for debrief and retasking. An Open World would make things more sandbox-y, you can choose to take out targets from a distance, or go in loud and heavy with a shotgun and a rocket launcher. Also, a larger emphasis on vehicular combat, with a much larger open world.

Thoughts?

-Yoink- yes, if anything like this makes it into Halo 5 343 won’t be able to take my money fast enough but I’m absolutely terrified their answer to this will be “oh…our engine won’t ever be able to handle it.”

> -Yoink!- yes but I’m absolutely terrified 343’s answer to this will be <mark>“oh…our engine won’t ever be able to handle it.”</mark>

However, the power of The Cloud will

I had an idea like this, but I was thinking halo meets gta, giving the player access to civilian and military vehicles. This world could also double as a forge for campaign missions and fire fight missions. They could add missions on a weekly basis, advancing the story, but giving the player an open world experience would add a level of exploration that halo games haven’t seen before.

> > -Yoink!- yes but I’m absolutely terrified 343’s answer to this will be <mark>“oh…our engine won’t ever be able to handle it.”</mark>
>
> However, the power of The Cloud will

You would think so but then again you would think that in the unified “infinity experience” DLC armor would work everywhere, like it does in other games, but 343 proved us wrong on that score. Plus they have to be motivated and I can easily see them simply adding server support to sure up connectivity quality while doing absolutely nothing with cloud resources to innovate gameplay.

I guess I’m just in a bitter, pessimistic mood today…oh well again I would LOVE to see an open world co-op shooter (one that isn’t borderlands or made by those who gave us Noble Team) and I really do hope we’ll see something that’s at least like it in Halo 5 but after all that’s happened with this game after launch (secrets and lies!) I feel the need to highlight where it might all go wrong for us (for now more than ever it’s a definite possibility.)

That’d be kind of cool, but I feel like the motivation would go by the wayside quickly.

Sounds like the city sections in ODST. Which is cool.

And god knows we need to see more of the Mammoth.

We could go to Venezia if we’re lucky. It would be great travel around that place.

I love this idea. I would also like to see you be bale to make a squad with you and 3 friends that you could name and everything. (Favorited btw)

> Sounds like the city sections in ODST. Which is cool.
>
> And god knows we need to see more of the Mammoth.
>
> We could go to Venezia if we’re lucky. It would be great travel around that place.

Yes to all of this and the OP.

Have the area be open like in Halo 3 ODST and every week or longer we will get an update on the map. Go to the area and you can activate that episode of Spartan Ops. Other than that it is a free roam space like in halo 3 ODST where you can move along set up camps and fight off Covenant patrols.

I d’n’t know if this could be implemented well but what if there was a sort of notoriety rating as well. Like killing patrol after patrol and the Covenant gets made and sends in a small army to get rid of you. Like an instant firefight map fight as you are playing you have to dig in an get ready for Phantoms dropping off troops and a large Covenant force. Maybe even after you take down their troops they could just call in a cleaning beam and glass the area where you stayed or call in a scarab.

Having an Open World Multiplayer Halo opens many doors for the series. Like playing as species we never got too before and telling a story like ODST style with audio logs.

Nah, I’m all for CE style open locations but not a full on open-world Spartan Ops

Strokes beard Interesting… Very Interesting.

These ideas would advance the game to what is the NEXT-GENERATION of gaming. As Sandbox games tend to become less frequent over time and repetitive without a interactive feature it lacks immersion. Immersed players within universes tend to last longer as they play roles but do it with there own style, personality and characteristics; that is what gaming is about… to give a virtual in-depth experience to players sending emotional, physical and sometimes philosophical immersion.

Love the idea about a mammoth command centre, that you move when on missions… it could also be that the mammoth could communicate to a pelican that you fly (control) to board the UNSC Infinity and free roam the Infinity meeting characters, and learn their stories, from past (games, books, videos), present and future (new characters)… thus immersing players even more…

If its like the Halo level in CE, then yes, that would be cool.

> > -Yoink!- yes but I’m absolutely terrified 343’s answer to this will be <mark>“oh…our engine won’t ever be able to handle it.”</mark>
>
> However, <mark>the power of The Cloud will…</mark>

Right here.

Bow before The Cloud folks. Seriously. It’s the opening to the next generation of gaming, and quite honestly, I believe the possibilities truly could be endless. Even something such as a “Global Battle” Spartan Ops could be made using this thing. I support this idea.

Genius idea here! Love the concept! Combat Evolved indeed.

Destroying key targets is lame.

It’s overused.

Halo needs new objectives.

But I’m all for CE style open missions.

> > > -Yoink!- yes but I’m absolutely terrified 343’s answer to this will be <mark>“oh…our engine won’t ever be able to handle it.”</mark>
> >
> > However, <mark>the power of The Cloud will…</mark>
>
> Right here.
>
> Bow before The Cloud folks. Seriously. It’s the opening to the next generation of gaming, and quite honestly, I believe the possibilities truly could be endless. Even something such as a “Global Battle” Spartan Ops could be made using this thing. I support this idea.

I’m not going to bow to the Cloud until I see how it works.

And it’s certainly no cure for the poor state Halo is in right now.

This is one of the best ideas I’ve heard in a while.

A deeply story-driven gamemode with massive battles that you can fight the way you want?

Now, that’s what I call Spartan Ops.

> Destroying key targets is lame.

I would also like to see Counter Intelligence operations, inciting war between the Covies (à la Glasslands), assassinations, etc.

> Nah, I’m all for CE style open locations but not a full on open-world Spartan Ops

This, don’t get me wrong, I love open world but I really don’t know how well it would fit into Halo. Missions like ‘Halo’ from CE are a good example of what they should be like, large and open

> > Nah, I’m all for CE style open locations but not a full on open-world Spartan Ops
>
> This, don’t get me wrong, I love open world but I really don’t know how well it would fit into Halo. Missions like ‘Halo’ from CE are a good example of what they should be like, large and open

I just think that with most of todays games adopting open world gameplay, I think they will eventually “make” Halo open world.

Personally I like the concept. I’m always open to making more of your own choices in games as well as affecting the linear story line.

> > Nah, I’m all for CE style open locations but not a full on open-world Spartan Ops
>
> This, don’t get me wrong, I love open world but I really don’t know how well it would fit into Halo. Missions like ‘Halo’ from CE are a good example of what they should be like, large and open

One word: Sandbox. The term’s floated for so long throughout this series without anyone realize just what that strength of Halo truly represented. If you take away all those elements of the game that force certain combat situations, the linearity and the ill-balance, what you have left with is a truly remarkable starting off point for an open world game because you have two key elements: improvisation and situation-based strategy. You use resources you find on the map to go make circumstances explode as you come upon them, and though we’ve had definite issues with that trying to force that paradigm it into an Unreal Tournament style of game if we instead look at something like a multiplayer Skyrim…dear god 343 make this game!