Open Halo datasets

I’m a university student currently taking a numerical methods class (linear least squares, eigenvalue problems, optimization, interpolation, that kind of stuff), and for the final project we can choose what we want to work on to apply what we’ve learned.

I thought it would be interesting to do some gameplay analysis of Halo matches, but so far haven’t been able to find much data.

The ideal would be something like https://www.opendota.com/, where you can see movement and decisions over the course of matches via replay data AND where players have intentionally opt’ed in to share gameplay data. No personal data should be included, personal data analysis stuff creeps me out tbh.

Even simple stats has the potential to yield interesting findings on player behaviour and the nature of halo game play, so there’s no reason I’d be picky! (With the exception of awareness on the players’ part, for personal ethical reasons I wouldn’t interested in data from unaware players)

I know its a long shot, but if anyone knows of a place to find (legitimate/legal) data, I would love to know.

If I find anything interesting I’ll most likely publish my findings on my personal site cosmicbagel.ca. I’ll have to write up a report for the class anyways and prof’s are usually pretty cool about publicly publishing stuff as long as it won’t result in academic integrity issues.

There is a lot of info out there about Halo 5. You might want to check out the Halo API forum. And sites like Halo Heatmaps. It’s not as detailed as open dota but it’s still somewhat detailed.

If you have any coding experience there is plenty you can figure out using the Halo 5 API. If you don’t have coding experience I wouldn’t mind the peer pressure of having a reason to try and figure out the API.

If you don’t find an appropriate data source, another option is simply to collect the data through different means. Few things that may be interesting to analyze is some form of ranking system and see if the payouts are correlated to time played or anything similar to that.