Only Sprint and Shooting on Radar is a Good Thing

So i’ve heard and read a lot of discussion regarding the sprint/shooting-only radar changes, and honestly i disagree with detractors.

Halo was never about sprinting everywhere, classic Halo CE games meant you walked everywhere. There was a slow methodical pace to it. Now that sprint is permanently available (by itself this is good), making the motion tracker only show sprinting or shooting players has the following benefits:

• The game becomes more tactical. This prevents it becoming a CoD/BF clone. Sprint is now a tool to quickly reposition or get into melee range etc. - Players now have to tradeoff between remaining stealthy or being fast. Hold your pace and have trigger discipline and you’ll be rewarded. - Rewards situational awareness and positioning. You have to pay attention to audio (footsteps, gunfire, grenade, reload sounds) and where your team is, or where firing positions are. - Creates tension. If you can always see other people’s positions, it becomes a swarm magnet where people just beeline for the nearest red blob. Now there is uncertainty.Might be worth adding grapple movements to the tracker too, though, since that is consistent with showing sprint (i.e. rapid movement).

TLDR: Please keep the radar to sprint, shooting and maybe grapple movement only.

EDIT: After playing Big Team Battle, I felt that even jump could be added and the radar distance definitely needed to go up. Heck i’ll go so far as to say that maybe classic radar is more suitable for BTB… the sprint-only thing felt better in 4v4 maps.

A combination of longer range sprint only radar combined with a shorter range normal radar I feel would be a good compromise.

Some people want larger radar. Some want none.

For the casual player playing with 3 other randoms, having a radar is definitely something worthwhile when versing a co-operative team.

I agree 100%.

The first flight had a better version of the motion tracker.

I would also add that the current motion tracker - which shows everything except crouch walking - incentives player behaviour which is detrimental to the overall flow of the game. It helps grenade spam, and it can be abused against less experienced players.

> 2533274801319443;2:
> A combination of longer range sprint only radar combined with a shorter range normal radar I feel would be a good compromise.
>
> Some people want larger radar. Some want none.
>
> For the casual player playing with 3 other randoms, having a radar is definitely something worthwhile when versing a co-operative team.

Frankly, I don’t think the casual players look the radar that much, if at all. It took many months before my casual player brother even started looking at the minimap in Warzone.

It is more likely that the experienced players will use the radar against the casual players. And the game does not tell them they got killed because of the radar.

I think the Radar from the first flight had a unique advantage in the fact that it didnt punish moving around. You could make flanks and move around without entirely giving your position away, which not only allowed for more stealthy gameplay, but it also disincentivized camping. You don’t need to sit still if you don’t show up on the radar while strafing. it promotes movement!

wrong thread.

> 2533274968869143;1:
> So i’ve heard and read a lot of discussion regarding the sprint/shooting-only radar changes, and honestly i disagree with detractors.
>
> Halo was never about sprinting everywhere, classic Halo CE games meant you walked everywhere. There was a slow methodical pace to it. Now that sprint is permanently available (by itself this is good), making the motion tracker only show sprinting or shooting players has the following benefits:
> - The game becomes more tactical. This prevents it becoming a CoD/BF clone. Sprint is now a tool to quickly reposition or get into melee range etc. - Players now have to tradeoff between remaining stealthy or being fast. Hold your pace and have trigger discipline and you’ll be rewarded. - Rewards situational awareness and positioning. You have to pay attention to audio (footsteps, gunfire, grenade, reload sounds) and where your team is, or where firing positions are. - Creates tension. If you can always see other people’s positions, it becomes a swarm magnet where people just beeline for the nearest red blob. Now there is uncertainty.Might be worth adding grapple movements to the tracker too, though, since that is consistent with showing sprint (i.e. rapid movement).
>
> TLDR: Please keep the radar to sprint, shooting and maybe grapple movement only.

the ability tracker radar is not casual friendly but competitive friendly, i wouldn’t be surprised if 343i uses it from competitive play lists like team arena in h5

> 2533274914197136;7:
> > 2533274968869143;1:
> > So i’ve heard and read a lot of discussion regarding the sprint/shooting-only radar changes, and honestly i disagree with detractors.
> >
> > Halo was never about sprinting everywhere, classic Halo CE games meant you walked everywhere. There was a slow methodical pace to it. Now that sprint is permanently available (by itself this is good), making the motion tracker only show sprinting or shooting players has the following benefits:
> > - The game becomes more tactical. This prevents it becoming a CoD/BF clone. Sprint is now a tool to quickly reposition or get into melee range etc. - Players now have to tradeoff between remaining stealthy or being fast. Hold your pace and have trigger discipline and you’ll be rewarded. - Rewards situational awareness and positioning. You have to pay attention to audio (footsteps, gunfire, grenade, reload sounds) and where your team is, or where firing positions are. - Creates tension. If you can always see other people’s positions, it becomes a swarm magnet where people just beeline for the nearest red blob. Now there is uncertainty.Might be worth adding grapple movements to the tracker too, though, since that is consistent with showing sprint (i.e. rapid movement).
> >
> > TLDR: Please keep the radar to sprint, shooting and maybe grapple movement only.
>
> the ability tracker radar is not casual friendly but competitive friendly, i wouldn’t be surprised if 343i uses it from competitive play lists like team arena in h5

I would argue the opposite. The current motion tracker that shows everything is not casual friendly.

The motion tracker that shows walking etc, benefits experienced players more than the casuals who are likely going to ignore it, or who do not know how to use it effectively.

It also puts the people who are new to Halo at disadvantage because it reduces their chances of surprising more experienced players.

I think flight 2 radar for social, flight 1 radar for ranked, no radar for hardcore/hcs/swat/snipers.

Most average players like the standard radar and while I prefer the new radar, I respect the community voice.

Look people let me just make it simple the motion tracker in the second flight is precisely how it’s always been in halo traditionally and that’s what we wanted. If you want no radar go back to modern warfare and stop trying to turn this game into something it’s not. Motion tracker has always been a staple in this game. Gameplay wise and even lore wise which doesn’t really matter but it’s still there.

> 2533274914197136;7:
> > 2533274968869143;1:
> > So i’ve heard and read a lot of discussion regarding the sprint/shooting-only radar changes, and honestly i disagree with detractors.
> >
> > Halo was never about sprinting everywhere, classic Halo CE games meant you walked everywhere. There was a slow methodical pace to it. Now that sprint is permanently available (by itself this is good), making the motion tracker only show sprinting or shooting players has the following benefits:
> > - The game becomes more tactical. This prevents it becoming a CoD/BF clone. Sprint is now a tool to quickly reposition or get into melee range etc. - Players now have to tradeoff between remaining stealthy or being fast. Hold your pace and have trigger discipline and you’ll be rewarded. - Rewards situational awareness and positioning. You have to pay attention to audio (footsteps, gunfire, grenade, reload sounds) and where your team is, or where firing positions are. - Creates tension. If you can always see other people’s positions, it becomes a swarm magnet where people just beeline for the nearest red blob. Now there is uncertainty.Might be worth adding grapple movements to the tracker too, though, since that is consistent with showing sprint (i.e. rapid movement).
> >
> > TLDR: Please keep the radar to sprint, shooting and maybe grapple movement only.
>
> the ability tracker radar is not casual friendly but competitive friendly, i wouldn’t be surprised if 343i uses it from competitive play lists like team arena in h5

They already said hcs wont have radar.

> 2533274885506317;10:
> Look people let me just make it simple the motion tracker in the second flight is precisely how it’s always been in halo traditionally and that’s what we wanted. If you want no radar go back to modern warfare and stop trying to turn this game into something it’s not. Motion tracker has always been a staple in this game. Gameplay wise and even lore wise which doesn’t really matter but it’s still there.

Why not make Halo a better game when given the opportunity? If we would respect tradition over everything else our societies would be horrible places to live in by modern standards.

The new motion tracker which was in the first flight made the players think when it was the right time to shoot or sprint. That made the gameplay loop much more interesting.

None of that matters with the current motion tracker which will reveal you regardless. There is only one simple decision to crouch or to not crouch, which makes players more stationary.

You cannot say that the new radar is about turning Halo to some other game because the ranked mode and some other modes will have the new motion tracker or no motion tracker at all. A large part of the game does not have what you think is a staple.

I really liked how the radar performed on this last flight. Sometimes I thought it may have been a little small but the way it read players actions was pretty good. In the first flight, I felt like I couldn’t see anyone on the radar because everyone was just walking around. If we made the change back to not being shown on the radar by walking no one will ever run.

Being shown on the radar by simply walking fast incentivize running because if you are going to be shown on the radar for your movement might as well move fast.

> 2533274923428997;5:
> I think the Radar from the first flight had a unique advantage in the fact that it didnt punish moving around. You could make flanks and move around without entirely giving your position away, which not only allowed for more stealthy gameplay, but it also disincentivized camping. You don’t need to sit still if you don’t show up on the radar while strafing. it promotes movement!

I share exactly the same sentiment. When you hear footsteps, you don’t have to slow down etc. Everything was faster and more fluid.

> 2533274933770910;12:
> > 2533274885506317;10:
> > Look people let me just make it simple the motion tracker in the second flight is precisely how it’s always been in halo traditionally and that’s what we wanted. If you want no radar go back to modern warfare and stop trying to turn this game into something it’s not. Motion tracker has always been a staple in this game. Gameplay wise and even lore wise which doesn’t really matter but it’s still there.
>
> Why not make Halo a better game when given the opportunity? If we would respect tradition over everything else our societies would be horrible places to live in by modern standards.
>
> The new motion tracker which was in the first flight made the players think when it was the right time to shoot or sprint. That made the gameplay loop much more interesting.
>
> None of that matters with the current motion tracker which will reveal you regardless. There is only one simple decision to crouch or to not crouch, which makes players more stationary.
>
> You cannot say that the new radar is about turning Halo to some other game because the ranked mode and some other modes will have the new motion tracker or no motion tracker at all. A large part of the game does not have what you think is a staple.

But isnt it better the way it is now?

Why should we always follow the new standart, why not making it uniqe otherwise whats the point in even trying a new game if it plays just like rest?
Nobody complained in the past on how the tracker worked.

Also, not everything in the game needs to be tailord to casuall gameplay. The game plays diffrent than other shooters to begin with, thats what makes Halo interesting. Changing it to fit the norm wouldnt. Yes new players might be at a disadvantage at the start but thats how it should be, get in there and learn it, its (atleast now) “new” and fresh (I still talk about the tracker but thats my opinion in general on Halo Infinite)

Forcing people to rely more on sensory cues and adding more uncertainty/tension only serve to make the game sweatier, which most people don’t want, especially in social playlists. If they wanna use the first flight radar for ranked or competitive playlists, have at it. Many of them already don’t have radar at all. But with the game already having quick TKKs and seemingly lower aim assist, not having a casual friendly radar in social will make a lot of people frustrated real fast. Implementing a radar that forces everyone to take a stealth approach, coupled with the game’s current TTK, will mean that the vast majority of engagements will come down to who saw who first, which really isn’t meant to be the dominant factor in Halo MP.

> 2533274926527272;16:
> Forcing people to rely more on sensory cues and adding more uncertainty/tension only serve to make the game sweatier, which most people don’t want, especially in social playlists. If they wanna use the first flight radar for ranked or competitive playlists, have at it. Many of them already don’t have radar at all. But with the game already having quick TKKs and seemingly lower aim assist, not having a casual friendly radar in social will make a lot of people frustrated real fast. Implementing a radar that forces everyone to take a stealth approach, coupled with the game’s current TTK, will mean that the vast majority of engagements will come down to who saw who first, which really isn’t meant to be the dominant factor in Halo MP.

Halo as a game has never been a game that is meant to rely on stealth. While stealth has always been a important aspect of the game the “dance” that often happens when two Spartans are in a firefight has been one of the games largest appeals in my opinion. It allows for players who may not have had the stealth advantage to have a chance to still win the fight, even when they may be outnumbered.

The issue with the newer radar in my opinion is that it eliminates some of that “dance” that makes Halo, well Halo.

> 2533275009973021;17:
> > 2533274926527272;16:
> > Forcing people to rely more on sensory cues and adding more uncertainty/tension only serve to make the game sweatier, which most people don’t want, especially in social playlists. If they wanna use the first flight radar for ranked or competitive playlists, have at it. Many of them already don’t have radar at all. But with the game already having quick TKKs and seemingly lower aim assist, not having a casual friendly radar in social will make a lot of people frustrated real fast. Implementing a radar that forces everyone to take a stealth approach, coupled with the game’s current TTK, will mean that the vast majority of engagements will come down to who saw who first, which really isn’t meant to be the dominant factor in Halo MP.
>
> Halo as a game has never been a game that is meant to rely on stealth. While stealth has always been a important aspect of the game the “dance” that often happens when two Spartans are in a firefight has been one of the games largest appeals in my opinion. It allows for players who may not have had the stealth advantage to have a chance to still win the fight, even when they may be outnumbered.
>
> The issue with the newer radar in my opinion is that it eliminates some of that “dance” that makes Halo, well Halo.

Exactly

> 2533274933770910;8:
> I would argue the opposite. The current motion tracker that shows everything is not casual friendly.
>
> The motion tracker that shows walking etc, benefits experienced players more than the casuals who are likely going to ignore it, or who do not know how to use it effectively.
>
> It also puts the people who are new to Halo at disadvantage because it reduces their chances of surprising more experienced players.

That’s just not true. How hard do you think it is for new players to use? It’s literally just dots representing a player relative to you; red enemy, yellow friend. Losing that ability to know where enemies are will only make for a more frustrating experience for new players, for the reasons I described above.

> 2533274926527272;18:
> That’s just not true. How hard do you think it is for new players to use? It’s literally just dots representing a player relative to you; red enemy, yellow friend.

This is not about the difficulty of reading it. There is lot more going on in terms of mechanics than just the dots on the radar. The radar will always benefit the more experienced players who have the map knowledge on their side.

And this is assuming that the casual players even use the radar because some of them won’t use it.

> 2533274926527272;18:
> Losing that ability to know where enemies are will only make for a more frustrating experience for new players, for the reasons I described above.

Why would enemy players not knowing where you are be frustrating? If I were a new player in any FPS game, I would not want the veteran players to know my location because it removes the only advantage I might have which is surprise.

The new players will be frustrated when they cannot effectively flank the more experienced players, when they are lured to a trap with the radar, or when they are killed with grenade spam which is directed by the radar information.

Combined with map knowledge of a veteran player, there is not much a new player can do with the current radar. I don’t think the current radar benefits casual players at all if they are going against more experienced Halo players. It will only make playing harder for them.

I’m down with the idea.

1. only shows when sprinting.
  2. only shows when firing.