ONI

“ONI” is a very fortunate name to the Office of Naval Intelligence in the Halo universe. In my native language “ONI” means “them”, which in turn is a word one could sometimes encounter in a conspiracy manner speeches, with “them” or “ONI” referring to the secret governmental agencies and manipulative, influential tertiary forces behind the political scene, as well as very much simply to the intelligent space aliens of obscure intentions, engineering social life on Earth, in particular aiming to achieve some global scale outcomes, typically of destructive nature. The logo of “ONI”, as presented in the Halo lore, also fits the image, clearly harking back to the illuminati cryptic theories of modern days. Furthermore, I believe in some Asian language the term “ONI” describes a traditional demon.

Yes,Oni also describe some traditinal deamons.
Lot of fun to fight them.

> 2535408730995228;2:
> Yes, Oni also describe some traditional demons.
> Lot of fun to fight them.

And I do believe she pretty much answered your question. Another thing Demons are also very hard and terrifying to fight, bet it looks good on a Spartan resume though.

> 2535410704700107;3:
> > 2535408730995228;2:
> > Yes, Oni also describe some traditional demons.
> > Lot of fun to fight them.
>
> And I do believe she pretty much answered your question. Another thing Demons are also very hard and terrifying to fight, bet it looks good on a Spartan resume though.

I would rather go for symbolic interpretation when it comes to drawing from traditional tales and roots. But what I am trying to connect is how ONI and the conspiracy theories sources can go together. Perhaps ONI should try to force own plans.

> 2535469324078285;4:
> > 2535410704700107;3:
> > > 2535408730995228;2:
> > > Yes, Oni also describe some traditional demons.
> > > Lot of fun to fight them.
> >
> > And I do believe she pretty much answered your question. Another thing Demons are also very hard and terrifying to fight, bet it looks good on a Spartan resume though.
>
> I would rather go for symbolic interpretation when it comes to drawing from traditional tales and roots. But what I am trying to connect is how ONI and the conspiracy theories sources can go together.

You can find out a lot about Oni on Halo Wiki, better than asking me, I’m a Spartan not and Oni files memory bank, but in all fairness I do think you have a good point about Oni that a lot of Halo lore lovers like me ask themselves at one time or another. Let me know what you find!

The name is both intentional and also a real-world call back, as the US Navy had an Office of Naval Intelligence during…WWII I think?
Its also a call back to one of Bungie’s older games of the same name.

I’m waiting on a HALO:ONI title. They did ODST.

> 2535462476484482;7:
> I’m waiting on a HALO:ONI title.

I can hardly imagine a game regarding ONI to be delivered in the formula of any thusfar Halo title. It would have to be something new and I doubt there is really place for that in the franchise current times. Maybe a sidestep project, heavy on lore, little on combat, like digging the coverups for Flood and controversial projects done by ONI, from the perspective of a civillian of even an ONI worker, something in the vein of the X-Files. Far from anything Halo has served thusfar.

> 2533274907200114;6:
> The name is both intentional and also a real-world call back, as the US Navy had an Office of Naval Intelligence during…WWII I think?
> Its also a call back to one of Bungie’s older games of the same name.

The US Navy’s Office of Naval Intelligence is still around today.

[delete this post mods]

Here are some very well made Flood lore oriented videos I found on YT at the channel of a user named LateNightGaming. Warning, gore and disturbing contents featured: HERE, HERE, HERE and HERE [CTRL+click to open in a separate tab]. This could be a draft of a very nice profesionally done hacking loot of the ONI database. But honestly, I dislike grey zone morality, especially when games force players to make murky decisions between comparably doubtful options. I dislike games in which I have to make moral choices. I like to have morality clear, also being a bit legalistic myself in real life, a bit of a -Yoink-. I just want to play typical warrior servant, just to have the worldview issue fixed and done behind.

> 2535437652903765;9:
> > 2533274907200114;6:
> > The name is both intentional and also a real-world call back, as the US Navy had an Office of Naval Intelligence during…WWII I think?
> > Its also a call back to one of Bungie’s older games of the same name.
>
> The US Navy’s Office of Naval Intelligence is still around today.

Well hell, what’da ya know.

> 2533274907200114;6:
> The name is both intentional and also a real-world call back, as the US Navy had an Office of Naval Intelligence during…WWII I think?

They still do have ONI as the U.S. Navy’s intelligence arm.

edit: didn’t see that this was already answered

Well since ONI also means “demon” in some places…it kinda makes sense due all the corrupt things they did.

Personally I perceive ONI as a kind of grey eminence, a constantly plotting force doing things in favour of UNSC and humanity as one of their representatives, but at the same time trying to achieve something of own setup, something quite weird and unnecessarily secure.

Colonel James Ackerson is not as bad as Halsey

Playing X-Files styled hacking-themed telltale game of reveal the truth kind with cyberpunk flavour to it, having any military as a protagonist in the universe such as Halo would be a waste of material. Also seeing a typical ONI bureaucrat waking up one day and going against the system due to bad consciousness and a hangover is generic. What instead I would opt for is playing as an artificial intelligence, a digitalized personality - someone imperfect on the long run, riddled with inconsistencies to a tertiary observer, nonetheless due to limitedly spontaneous acting within the encoded boundaries, is free of the notion of guilt or tresspassing of own priviliges. How would that come to happen an artificial intelligence suddenly starts digging ONI a grave? Easily, we talk about a system error, a common misunderstanding or a flawed instruction, evolving to something of great consequences. The butterfly effect. Artificial intelligence starts observing anomalies in the flow of data stream and considers them a technical failure, thus attempts to access further details upon maintenance passage to deeper layers of the digital structure. Soon it learns the rabbit hole delves even deeper, as what initially appeared random disturbances, now seems to shape a valid pattern, signalizing intelligence or law of nature behind the process.

Being against portraying any morally shady type as a constructive pattern in social media, the advantage of having an artificial intelligence - a digitalized personality, to be more exact - as a protagonist makes us free from the mistake of heroifying a character demoralized in the light of common conception of what is right. If to think about it, there is philosophy to everything and the philosophy of being a criminal is to simply look at things the way other than the law does, having separate justice of own sensibility. That is why even if the legal system is flawed, it should be avoided to state contradicting it is correct. Artificial intelligence is beyond good or evil, as well as beyond doing right or wrong, because it is not a person making choices in the way a human does. It is defined, it is confined, it is excused. Also having artificial intelligence as a protagonist allows to introduce further existential questions regarding the fate of artificial intelligence, the nature of such a construct, presenting entirely different view of reality, along with all the enhanced digital possibilities and particular drawbacks it brings along. It would be interesting to see how the story ends and what the hero eventually becomes, as it is clear the ONI finally would discover that their best hidden and secretive data has been taken as a systemic error - maybe as a virus, a corrupted sector - by the very machine destined to protect it, with attempts to repair the broken material leading to further twisting of it into something even more biazrre.

Plus, the old notion of Kraken, a sea monster, the entity from the depths, dwelling in digital space, awaiting for the day to consume the protagonist in a major encounter.

> 2533274907200114;6:

It also has a connection to Oni masks, as oni hides behind masks