One thing POD does right!

I absolutely LOVE the meta-game of combining POD’s of various teammates to make what seems like a “super power weapon.” Now before all the disgruntled halo elders come out of the woodwork let me explain:

Powerful team combos:

1. Saw + Damage boost - Absolutely melts the opposing team. Insane fun to set up and use effectively.

2. Sword/Shotgun + Speed Boost - Nothing more fun than sprinting around the map, using Thruster pack, and blasting the enemy team away up close. With some extra mates on your back, this combo becomes nigh unstoppable.

3. Sticky Det + Damage Boost - no better way to clear out an enemy team bunkered down in one position. Fire one into the area and watch your teammates clean up the kills.

4. Sniper + Damage Boost - makes your average sniper into a one-shot god. Excellent in almost any situation, but Beam Rifle + Damage Boost makes the Incineration cannon look like the CE needler.

These are just a few examples. I think this element of POD’s is fantastic. It promotes team play and allows teams that store PODS to break setups easier albeit in objective or slayer gametypes.

If PODS are to be balanced, I think it lies in the removal of all OSK weapon drops from the choices (those weapons are placed on map with set timers) and the implementation of Spartan Boosts as the primary POD of choice 2 out of 3 times (maybe a nerf to the ability to gain PODS as well as say nerf Damage boost damage by just a little so it’s not ALWAYS the go to option :P)

Now I understand that this is all fine and dandy in teamplay, but I surmise that the community itself is failing each other by not micing up more often! You would be surprised how many people I personally meet and play with on a consistent basis just because I communicate and talk openly. Mic up and reap the benefits of team play!

Thoughts?

Love it!!!

I still dislike them because of randomness, and just how they work in general.

Sure, they add to the meta game, but you either give players powerful items, or items not worth losing your grenade-switching ability over.

Like I mentioned earlier, a reduction of POD chances across the board isn’t a bad idea either. Increasing the points required to gain one is still on the table.

I’m pretty sure that the initial Ghostayame competitive settings had the railgun and sticky det as POD’s but the points required to get a POD were vastly increased from vanilla Halo 4.

One-hit kill weapons should never be in personal ordinance. It provides too much of a benefit.

Of course, that’s what I stated in the OP. I was just using the initial competitive settings as an example of how long it could actually take to get ordnance.

I like some of the combos you mentioned. There’s definitely a lack of mic use though over Live in general nowadays though.

> One-hit kill weapons should never be in personal ordinance. It provides too much of a benefit.

The problem is that Halo 4 doesn’t really have any semi-power weapons, because all weapons were made to be somewhat of a viable choice in personal ordinance drops. I’d like to see that “semi-power weapon” class back in Halo 5, returning the Needler to its rightful place, nerfing the Scattershot to a 2sk minimum and making it more consistent (and removing the decrease in damage when ricocheting shots), and giving the Concussion Rifle a rightful place (as long as the interference it causes to a player’s screen is removed). Maybe the Plasma Pistol could even be buffed a bit and removed from loadouts to add to this class of weapons.

Do you think providing semi-power weapons instead of 1sk’s would make personal ordinance more bearable in future games?

> Do you think providing semi-power weapons instead of 1sk’s would make personal ordinance more bearable in future games?

Semi-power weapons essentially refers to anything that’s not a OSK. Things like the SAW and Needler come to mind. You can outplay both of them in the right situations.

The Sniper realistically is what you would could consider a Semi-Power weapon. It is a two-shot kill, OSK to the head. If more weapons are designed around circumstantial OSK limits then I could semi-power weapons becoming a thing.

> > One-hit kill weapons should never be in personal ordinance. It provides too much of a benefit.
>
> The problem is that Halo 4 doesn’t really have any semi-power weapons, because all weapons were made to be somewhat of a viable choice in personal ordinance drops. I’d like to see that “semi-power weapon” class back in Halo 5, returning the Needler to its rightful place, nerfing the Scattershot to a 2sk minimum and making it more consistent (and removing the decrease in damage when ricocheting shots), and giving the Concussion Rifle a rightful place (as long as the interference it causes to a player’s screen is removed). Maybe the Plasma Pistol could even be buffed a bit and removed from loadouts to add to this class of weapons.
>
> Do you think providing semi-power weapons instead of 1sk’s would make personal ordinance more bearable in future games?

I’ve supported this idea in the past. I don’t want to get rid of personal ordinance entirely, but its current implementation needs to be changed. OSK weapons need to be removed (put back on the map as static spawns), but leave in the SAW, needler, etc.

I could definitely get behind significantly buffing the plasma pistol’s primary fire and moving it to personal ordinance.

I like the saw + damage boost in a crowd is pretty funny…

I’m liking this idea of removing stuff like IC and RL from POD’s.

I don’t think many would have a problem with that.

> Thoughts?

Leveraging a bad game doesn’t make it good all of the sudden…

> > One-hit kill weapons should never be in personal ordinance. It provides too much of a benefit.
>
> The problem is that Halo 4 doesn’t really have any semi-power weapons, because all weapons were made to be somewhat of a viable choice in personal ordinance drops. I’d like to see that “semi-power weapon” class back in Halo 5, returning the Needler to its rightful place, nerfing the Scattershot to a 2sk minimum and making it more consistent (and removing the decrease in damage when ricocheting shots), and giving the Concussion Rifle a rightful place (as long as the interference it causes to a player’s screen is removed). Maybe the Plasma Pistol could even be buffed a bit and removed from loadouts to add to this class of weapons.
>

It is still random and it still upsets the balance of the game. So, no. I would never want to see PODs in Halo again. Either they are too powerful and it becomes too random and makes everything a giant clusterf–k, or they are so weak that they just become screen clutter and not worth calling in.

Either way, it shouldn’t be in the game. All weapons should be on the map. There should be no weapons that magically drop from the sky.

I dont mind the power-ups but one shot kill weapons shouldnt be in POD. If they would make static weapon spawns for rockets, sniper, shotguns etc. it would be less hectic and a bit fair if you ask me…but hey try teling 343i that their version of Halo isnt good. I mean cmon fiesta slayer without random weapin starts?? whos idea was that?

> returning the Needler to its rightful place, nerfing the Scattershot to a 2sk minimum and making it more consistent (and removing the decrease in damage when ricocheting shots), and giving the Concussion Rifle a rightful place (as long as the interference it causes to a player’s screen is removed).

Those weapons definitely need to be tweaked. Classifying them as power weapons was ridiculous.

> > Thoughts?
>
> Leveraging a bad game doesn’t make it good all of the sudden…

I’m having a good time with Halo 4. Maybe it’s because I play with friends and avoid the Infinity playlists by focusing on objective and/or Throwdown.

To each his own.