One thing H5 should take from Titanfall

In Titanfall, whenever your character falls, their jumpjets visually turn on on the way down. This is a small detail, but it explains why you fall much slower than you would in normal gravity, though it has no actual gameplay impact. This could be used to explain away no fall damage in H5, as well as explain why your jump is so floaty.

It could look pretty cool in cutscenes, too.

Only thing is I wonder how many people are going to compare H5 to Titanfall and CoD AW? they both have similar focuses on jump jets. Hopefully Halo’s looks and feels unique.

Sure, I guess there’s no real reason not to have this feature…but there’s no real reason to have it either.

> Sure, I guess there’s no real reason not to have this feature…but there’s no real reason to have it either.

Considering they’ve shown that H5 spartan armor has thrusters built into it I thought they were already halfway to that aesthetic detail.

The Pilots in Titanfall aren’t in MJOLNIR nor are their bodies Augmented like Spartans are.

That said, a HUGE fall could show something like this.

Then again, it did, in the opening scene of Halo 4.

I thought you were going to talk about something that significantly impacts gameplay or the story, like AI behavior or campaign dialogue. But your suggestion basically boils down to having a few particles appear on a player character’s back while falling. I understand that some people might think that’s cool, but I personally couldn’t care less.

I think there are better things you could draw from Titanfall- secondary objectives anyone? That Epilogoue is fun to have.

I honestly thought that this was going to be actually beneficial rather than something that won’t matter at all. One thing they can take from Titanfall if JIP is present in H5, is that if you joined a game in progress and your team was losing, a lost won’t be counted and if you won, it will be counted.

> I thought you were going to talk about something that significantly impacts gameplay or the story, like AI behavior or campaign dialogue. But your suggestion basically boils down to having a few particles appear on a player character’s back while falling. I understand that some people might think that’s cool, but I personally couldn’t care less.

I don’t think any of the gameplay-impacting things from Titanfall suit Halo. That’s why I didn’t suggest them.

Things from Titanfall I want to see?

•Double-jump as a base trait for greater verticality
•Parkour wall-runs and ledge grabs because I’ve always wanted it in Halo
•Limited sprint with aim penalty for hip-fire
•Flag carrier has full access to primary weapon, no movement penalty, no juggling
•Epilogue objective

> Things from Titanfall I want to see?
>
> •Double-jump as a base trait for greater verticality
> •Parkour wall-runs and ledge grabs because I’ve always wanted it in Halo
> •Limited sprint with aim penalty for hip-fire
> •Flag carrier has full access to primary weapon, no movement penalty, no juggling
> •Epilogue objective

No.

> Things from Titanfall I want to see?
>
> •Double-jump as a base trait for greater verticality
> •Parkour wall-runs and ledge grabs because I’ve always wanted it in Halo
> •Limited sprint with aim penalty for hip-fire
> •Flag carrier has full access to primary weapon, no movement penalty, no juggling
> •Epilogue objective

I was going to just say no but aim penalty for hip fire? You have no idea what kind of reaction that’d get, man.

but yeah, none of these really fit halo, as I said.

I know perfectly well how people would react, and don’t care.

> I know perfectly well how people would react, but the aim penalty allows return fire but forces tactical use of sprint. I want it and could care less if you think it’s suited to Halo or not.

So you are willing to ditch the fun of controlling an automatic weapon?
How does it force tactical sprint?

> I know perfectly well how people would react, and don’t care.

not even just about the reaction. it’s about what works best in Halo. this would change it to the point where it’s not really much different from titanfall any more. uniqueness is not something to be gleefully abandoned, especially in a genre that is so often uninspired and homogeneous.

It would be a nice little detail. But I’m partial to the idea that Spartans are simply too durable for fall damage to faze them. It gives them a more titanic vibe.

> It would be a nice little detail. But I’m partial to the idea that Spartans are simply too durable for fall damage to faze them. It gives them a more titanic vibe.

I dunno, it’s sorta clear they’re not that durable when enemies can clearly damage them with normal weapons. you saying that a plasma pistol is more powerful than falling off a mountain?

> It would be a nice little detail. But I’m partial to the idea that Spartans are simply too durable for fall damage to faze them. It gives them a more titanic vibe.

The four SPARTAN-IIs that died in a Pelican crash in Halo: First Strike would like a word with you.

There aren’t many instances in gameplay where you plunge out of the sky. Usually you can take maybe 50 feet or a little more before you die. Besides, you could argue story points both ways. There are plenty of instances where the Chief just shrugs it off. Remember the bit where he fell from space? Unless you’re insisting that Spartan IVs just aren’t tough enough. Even if I give you that I’d still maintain that an unaided descent is more badass.

Oh yea, Spartan II pelican crash.

Master Chief’s escape pod in Halo: CE: Flawless Cowboy.

Also bending metal and melting metal are two different things. Let us also not forget that plasma shots compromise energy shields better than blunt force.

Like this?
http://youtu.be/VKanxNE-FT4?t=1m49s