One reason why Halo has to change

Recently there has been massive flame wars surrounding Halo 4 and ‘per the Winter contingency’ fans of the new game have been countering on all fronts. When asked why these people defend Halo 4 often the reply with: ‘A game is not fun if it stays the same’. This of course is not a real reason; if something ain’t broke don’t fix it and the Halo 3 MM ain’t broke. Furthermore the series isn’t really changing much (reach=>Halo 4) as reach is looking more like Halo 4 than any other game.

So I thought I would give a proper reason as to why Halo has to change and back it up with real evidence. Here it goes:

Change: Halo has become more faster paced-this means it is compared more to CoD

Reason for change: The game is not friendly enough to new players.

Back in the golden era for Halo MM (by this I mean Halo 2) Halo’s multiplayer was the place to be. Halo 2s MM dominated the X-box Live arena and had a massive percentage of overall X-box Live gamers. However if MW3 had been released at the same time as Halo 2 would it have done so well? My point being has the quality of Halo games gone down? (in Reach it has I’ll admit) Or has the market got more to offer?

The problem is (to a certain extent) Halo takes too much skill. It takes a long time to get good at and perfect your multiplayer style. It has taken me three games (H3, ODST and Reach) to get me to the point where I’m really getting really good at the game and this causes problems.

Imagine you are an casual unbiased gamer who is looking to buy his first game. He can’t decide between CoD or Halo so he buys both. After trying both he chooses CoD. Why? Because he is a casual gamer and he doesn’t want to learn how to win at something- he just wants to have fun!

When you first get Halo you get slaughtered and it is really frustrating. It’s what also put me off BF3. Halo needs to become more fast paced (quicker kill times and no re-spawn delays) to entertain casual gamers-as this is where most of the money is. If Halo can do this whilst still requiring a certain level of skill it will hit the gaming sweet spot-fun and challenging.

Thanks for reading!

->leave any constructive comments or thoughts below.

This is the reason most people are afraid of. Halo just has much more competition than it used to. I welcome the changes, so long as they are applied correctly. The irony is that the people are complaining without realizing that their main complaints from Reach are being addressed. The things that made them scream about the loss of core Halo Gameplay in the first place.

> This is the reason most people are afraid of. Halo just has much more competition than it used to. I welcome the changes, so long as they are applied correctly. The irony is that the people are complaining without realizing that their main complaints from Reach are being addressed. The things that made them scream about the loss of core Halo Gameplay in the first place.

I don’t know about you, but every single one of my friends “main complaints about reach” were armor abilities and no ranking.

> This is the reason most people are afraid of. Halo just has much more competition than it used to. I welcome the changes, so long as they are applied correctly. The irony is that the people are complaining without realizing that their main complaints from Reach are being addressed. The things that made them scream about the loss of core Halo Gameplay in the first place.

I know. I would say you can’t have it both ways but that’s the beauty of a game-you can. Halo needs to have a casual and competitive playlists whilst integrating AA into the game smoothly. 343 have got their work cut out.

I complete disagree. Because you are completely wrong. Halo 3 was my first online experince Yes it was hard to play at first, but then I got good at the game, this didn’t take that long, a dozen games or so. Why is everyone so eager to gut halo and replace it with CoD?

Wait…People really think Halo and BF3 are overly hard to learn? Jesus, I can name 20 other FPS off the top of my head that I have played that have been harder to learn, most recently Tribes:Ascend now that game takes some time to learn.

This post has been edited by a Moderator. Please don’t attack or flame other members

Original post. View at your own discretion. This is dumb…really dumb. It took to long to get good at halo? omfg.

> I complete disagree. Because you are completely wrong. Halo 3 was my first online experince Yes it was hard to play at first, but then I got good at the game, this didn’t take that long, a dozen games or so. Why is everyone so eager to gut halo and replace it with CoD?

why does everyone think that some aspects of CoD will ruin Halo? Mid game joins and X to re-spawn are steps forward in my opinion. As is faster gameplay combined with no bloom.

> Wait…People really think Halo and BF3 are overly hard to learn? Jesus, FPS are the easiest games to learn on the market these days.

when compared to CoD they are. And when I say good I mean 2.3 k/d good.

> > Wait…People really think Halo and BF3 are overly hard to learn? Jesus, FPS are the easiest games to learn on the market these days.
>
> when compared to CoD they are. And when I say good I mean 2.3 k/d good.

Well “learning” a game, and being “good” at a game are two different things. I have recently starting “learning” Tribes:Ascend for example but I am nowhere near “good” at it. Awhile ago I rolled a Warlock in WoW and I “learned” how to play it but I was not necessarily “good” at it. Learning something and being adept at it are two different things, in a FPS game knowledge can only bring you so far, you must develop “muscle memory” like ability to increase aim skill/decision making, learn movement patters, and further team-play ability to advance you’re skills.

> > I complete disagree. Because you are completely wrong. Halo 3 was my first online experince Yes it was hard to play at first, but then I got good at the game, this didn’t take that long, a dozen games or so. Why is everyone so eager to gut halo and replace it with CoD?
>
> why does everyone think that some aspects of CoD will ruin Halo? Mid game joins and X to re-spawn are steps forward in my opinion. As is faster gameplay combined with no bloom.

x to spawn just devalues map control and leads to more nonsense.

Mid game joining devalues winning to an even further extent than removing ranks. It’s all done to please casuals. Nobody cares if you quit and nobody cares if you win. Everybody thinks about themselves only for instant gratification and if someone kills them a few times then they are free to leave. Have you ever honestly cared about winning in a game of COD? Because winning in a game of ranked halo used to be pretty much the most important thing.

> > > Wait…People really think Halo and BF3 are overly hard to learn? Jesus, FPS are the easiest games to learn on the market these days.
> >
> > when compared to CoD they are. And when I say good I mean 2.3 k/d good.
>
> Well “learning” a game, and being “good” at a game are two different things. I have recently starting “learning” Tribes:Ascend for example but I am nowhere near “good” at it. Awhile ago I rolled a Warlock in WoW and I “learned” how to play it but I was not necessarily “good” at it. Learning something and being adept at it are two different things, in a FPS game knowledge can only bring you so far, you must develop “muscle memory” like ability to increase aim skill/decision making, learn movement patters, and further team-play ability to advance you’re skills.

ah now I see what you mean. Yes learning the game and getting good at it are completely different. In my OP I meant it was hard to get good at Halo not that it was hard to learn. This is what frustrates so many players

> > > I complete disagree. Because you are completely wrong. Halo 3 was my first online experince Yes it was hard to play at first, but then I got good at the game, this didn’t take that long, a dozen games or so. Why is everyone so eager to gut halo and replace it with CoD?
> >
> > why does everyone think that some aspects of CoD will ruin Halo? Mid game joins and X to re-spawn are steps forward in my opinion. As is faster gameplay combined with no bloom.
>
> x to spawn just devalues map control and leads to more nonsense.
>
> Mid game joining devalues winning to an even further extent than removing ranks. It’s all done to please casuals. Nobody cares if you quit and nobody cares if you win. Everybody thinks about themselves only for instant gratification and if someone kills them a few times then they are free to leave. Have you ever honestly cared about winning in a game of COD? Because winning in a game of ranked halo used to be pretty much the most important thing.

But if CoD had a competitive playlist which gave you a rating and if you quit it would drastically effect your rating- would you quit then? why can’t Halo have the best of both worlds and have casual and competitive playlists like in Halo 3 (social and hardcore playlists). Then there would be not quitting problem.

I don’t know about you, but every single one of my friends “main complaints about reach” were armor abilities and no ranking.

> I don’t know about you, but every single one of my friends “main complaints about reach” were armor abilities and no ranking.

yes but did I mention these in my post?

[deleted]

> They’ve been making it easier every release now, it’s the main reason why the latest release is always vilified so much.

I don’t think this is true. The DMR took 5 shots to kill BR took 4

They nerfed the AR and grenades

Bloom was introduced

[deleted]

> > They’ve been making it easier every release now, it’s the main reason why the latest release is always vilified so much.
>
> I don’t think this is true. The DMR took 5 shots to kill BR took 4
>
> They nerfed the AR and grenades
>
> Bloom was introduced

The AR is about as useful as it was in Halo 3. >.>

The grenades were buffed in Reach to nuke status. This a buff, not a nerf.

Bloom over complicated the simple idea of shooting a gun and slowed down the game. It also introduced spamming, which noobs from past Halo games complained about even though it was non existent until Reach.

As bloom adding or detracting from the skill gap. I am not going to go there. That’s just beating a dead horse skeleton at this point.

> > > They’ve been making it easier every release now, it’s the main reason why the latest release is always vilified so much.
> >
> > I don’t think this is true. The DMR took 5 shots to kill BR took 4
> >
> > They nerfed the AR and grenades
> >
> > Bloom was introduced
>
> Nerfed the grenades? Have you played Reach?
>
> And yes, bloom reduced the skill gap further.

you could get 8 'nades in Halo 3.

Some of the grenades were really powerful. frags are about the same, as are plasma’s but spikers and flame granades were really powerful when used correctly. With them gone the game is easier. When I said nerfed I kinda meant that lots of them were removed.