One Possible Future For Spartan Ops

The vision of playing a tv series was poorly implemented into Halo imo. It offered little to no replay value and nobody wants to play reruns. It felt so thinned out and watered down through it’s repetitive levels cut from campaign with a new narrative stamped on the same areas over and over again. It was basically a crappy mini campaign.

I don’t think there is any need to split the story into two modes. Spartan ops and the campaign plots were intertwined but never joined and I think that was another poor decision. I believe that spartan ops should become integrated into the campaign as some sort of blended side missions.

By compressing spartan ops into a side mission per level of the campaign it would add hours to gameplay and has the potential to add a broader context to the overall story. Since Master Chief won’t be able to experience all the most interesting parts story, having multiple perspectives would add depth and a more vivid background to secondary characters as you build stronger relationships with them.

The side missions would be completely optional and could be activated by interacting with a certain object(Image). You would then be playing as if it was a spartan ops game and could offer little advantages later on in the campaign that wouldn’t change the story but offer a nice rewarding bonus for completing that you wouldn’t get if skipped.

An example would be: While playing a side mission you rescued a group of covenant allies and in turn they would spawn later in the campaign to assist Master Chief in a battle and help take some of the heat off. (A nice bonus that doesn’t affect the story and the player knows why they showed up.)

Nice patriotic colors :)). I don’t like the idea of finding an object and playing a story. Just do it like Bungie did with Halo 2. Keep the terminals but have the video accessible in the Halo game. Also have secret codes and subliminal messages in the terminal videos. It makes me feel like I’m in the Da Vinci code when I find one :).

> Nice patriotic colors :)). I don’t like the idea of finding an object and playing a story. Just do it like Bungie did with Halo 2. Keep the terminals but have the video accessible in the Halo game. Also have secret codes and subliminal messages in the terminal videos. It makes me feel like I’m in the Da Vinci code when I find one :).

Halo 2 was my favorite and ODST was my second, which is what I was referring to. ODST had interactable objects then you jumped into someone else’s shoes. It had an awesome story. The object wouldn’t be hidden but could have a beacon on it or something.

I didn’t even need to read the entire thing to know this is a good post!

Of course, the side mission activation should be something other than finding an object.

So basically scrap Spartan Ops, and add side missions into the Campaign levels? What you’re saying OP makes it sound like Spartan Ops doesn’t even exist anymore while the Campaign gets side missions added similar Gears of War Judgement.

While I like the idea of side missions added into the Campaign, I highly prefer Spartan Ops.

> So basically scrap Spartan Ops, and add side missions into the Campaign levels? What you’re saying OP makes it sound like Spartan Ops doesn’t even exist anymore while the Campaign gets side missions added similar Gears of War Judgement.
>
> While I like the idea of side missions added into the Campaign, I highly prefer Spartan Ops.

Spartan Ops does not deserve an existence.

IMO

Unless it gets new features.

Campaign has been horribly neglected in Halo 4, that should not have been so. Once Campaign gets proper treatment, then I won’t mind Spartan Ops.

> So basically scrap Spartan Ops, and add side missions into the Campaign levels? What you’re saying OP makes it sound like Spartan Ops doesn’t even exist anymore while the Campaign gets side missions added similar Gears of War Judgement.
>
> While I like the idea of side missions added into the Campaign, I highly prefer Spartan Ops.

Wouldn’t necessarily say scraped more like recycled. It would have its own narrative but be close to the main story. They could be replayed individually within the campaign menu or something. I mean it’s totally open for debate but definitively saying it needs to step aside and make room for firefight.

I heard Judgement had side missions but don’t know how they play, I also heard it didn’t have horde so I didn’t buy it.

> The vision of playing a tv series was poorly implemented into Halo imo. It offered little to no replay value and nobody wants to play reruns. It felt so thinned out and watered down through it’s repetitive levels cut from campaign with a new narrative stamped on the same areas over and over again. It was basically a crappy mini campaign.
>
> I don’t think there is any need to split the story into two modes. Spartan ops and the campaign plots were intertwined but never joined and I think that was another poor decision. I believe that spartan ops should become integrated into the campaign as some sort of blended side missions.

I hate to say it because before H4 I was really excited about it but, Spartan Ops did suck. It just didn’t have the same replayability that say, firefight had. In firefight the score system made it very competitive and ODST’s version had a real sense of survival and endurance. However SP.ops just seemed like a bunch of samey mini missions which had barely any new environments and a bunch of characters that I had no connection with whatsoever.

Even the story elements seemed terrible. Palmer must be my least favourite Spartan in the entire Halo universe, and I couldn’t care less if majestic were all nuked tomorrow. Plus what they did to Halsey just seems cruel and pointless. The only new character I actually like is Lasky, But it seems that the rest of the UNSC are a bunch of -Yoink-. I don’t even blame Halsey for wanting revenge, good on her I say…

> Even the story elements seemed terrible. Palmer must be my least favourite Spartan in the entire Halo universe, and I couldn’t care less if majestic were all nuked tomorrow. Plus what they did to Halsey just seems cruel and pointless. The only new character I actually like is Lasky, But it seems that the rest of the UNSC are a bunch of Yoink!. I don’t even blame Halsey for wanting revenge, good on her I say…

Palmer is still a blank slate that has the opportunity to become a character with a deep and interesting background. Which these side missions could offer a more focused narrative on her, Lasky, and Halsey. I would like to see more of them in game rather than watching a cut-scene, that way it feels more personal (like with Sergeant Johnson and Stacker).

I think if they just added a little customization, challenge, skulls, and SCORING in Spartan Ops, it would be fine.

It kind of destroys the entertainment of SO, when the only thing preventing me from finishing “Out the Other” on legendary without using the Mantis is rage quitting.

All sense of accomplishment and challenge are eradicated when you have infinite lives. Not being able to choose your spawn location is annoying when there are Promethians near it.

They can continue to add new content, but it still wont be fun.
It’s a shame because it had so much potential, and they blew it.

Seriously 343? No Skulls? I feel like that would be a requirement, and also common sense to include them.

Palmer has no potential to become a good character.
EGGHEADS

I could see this idea as an evolution to the terminals.

When you find the terminal in the campaign, it would be a playable mission instead of that 2 minute long video. (The player would have the choice to enjoy the terminal in it’s traditional cutscene form as well)

However, Spartan Ops must stay. But it also must be improved…

> > So basically scrap Spartan Ops, and add side missions into the Campaign levels? What you’re saying OP makes it sound like Spartan Ops doesn’t even exist anymore while the Campaign gets side missions added similar Gears of War Judgement.
> >
> > While I like the idea of side missions added into the Campaign, I highly prefer Spartan Ops.
>
> Wouldn’t necessarily say scraped more like recycled. It would have its own narrative but be close to the main story. They could be replayed individually within the campaign menu or something. I mean it’s totally open for debate but definitively saying it needs to step aside and make room for firefight.
>
> I heard Judgement had side missions but don’t know how they play, I also heard it didn’t have horde so I didn’t buy it.

From a narrative perspective, you activate them to “experience what really happened” . Like finish this in this amount of time, use only this weapon, or there’s one that fills a room with smoke limiting your view and a ton of enemies would start attacking you. As for horde, the campaign was pretty much a horde mode in itself. There were some areas where you traveled a distance to an open area and a timer pops up with a bunch of locust coming at you. As for the mode itself, they replaced it with something similar to invasion where you protect a emergence hole plug from the locust and when it’s destroyed you move to the next plug.