One does not simply aim in Halo 5...

So here’s the thing: I love Halo 5. For me this game represents the pinnicle of Halo MP gameplay (very real issues, like missing certain game modes, notwithstanding). But I cannot aim to save my life (quite literally). I will start engagements at favorable situations, get 1-2 hits in but then everything goes to hell and I can’t hit the broadside of a Covenant CCS Battlecruiser. No matter how much I change my sensitivity levels (and yeah I do stay with them a fair while so I make sure I get used to them) I can’t keep my crosshairs on my target. It’s either too fast or too slow (or sometimes both, figure that one out). Used to be pretty accurate (but not amazing) in Halo Reach and could reverse a fair bit of suprise attacks in most cases.

So my question is: Has someone, who has previously played Halo Reach (my most played Halo titile prior to numero 5) with default settings had this issue. If you’ve had em have you figured out how to deal with Halo 5’s aiming system.

Any help would be GREATLY appriciated and you will be handsomely rewarded for your efforts (disclaimer: not you won’t). Love playing H5 but it sucks that I’m always bring my entire fireteam down with briliant scores such as 1 kill and 16 deaths.

These videos by Luke TheNotable might help.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxSLSQWFpgzNyXMi4rG7wbsAMNOwXabK1

Thanks for the vids pal. Will give them a look at them right now. If anyone else has any suggestions, you are more than welcome to give them. Look at it this way: you are helping the community by decreasing the number of scrubs (by one).

The aiming is terrible. I hate it when you try to movie diagonally and your turn speed slows to a crawl.

I find this too. In WZ the first 3/4 blasts from a BR or DMR land perfectly. It’s always the last shot that just won’t ‘settle’. Same in SWAT, sometimes the reticle just dances over their heads…

Yeah my problem is indeed exactly that (though in my case I can land 1-2 shots tops before going full Caboose). Landing a shot is fine. Leading a target during engagements is entire different ballgame of terrible,

This is probably the biggest problem in h5, yet no one talks about it. I believe it’s caused by dedicated servers, because I don’t have trouble aiming in previous halo titles. In this halo, aiming and aim assist and bullet magnetism changes based on who you’re shooting and what server you’re connected to. That’s why people keep changing sensitivity. They think that they are the problem. The truth is that they’re not changing, but the servers and their opponents are changing. Some people seem to be playing on lan while others get no aim assist. It’s frustrating to say the least.

> 2533274908231480;7:
> This is probably the biggest problem in h5, yet no one talks about it. I believe it’s caused by dedicated servers, because I don’t have trouble aiming in previous halo titles. In this halo, aiming and aim assist and bullet magnetism changes based on who you’re shooting and what server you’re connected to. That’s why people keep changing sensitivity. They think that they are the problem. The truth is that they’re not changing, but the servers and their opponents are changing. Some people seem to be playing on lan while others get no aim assist. It’s frustrating to say the least.

All games have what you’re talking about.

The aiming issue is in the way the reticle actually reacts to stick movement. There is a very harsh aim acceleration curve that’s present even with acceleration set to 1.

Thank god I thought I was the only one.

My primary Halo was also Reach, and I can’t aim for -Yoink- in H5.

I thought I was losing my edge so I jumped to Reach to see how I’d do. I was able to land shots just the same as when I was at the top of my game. Even with reticle bloom I was landing shots on strafing/jumping targets.

Weird thing though, I can headshot with a sniper for days on H5.

> 2535417175535968;9:
> Weird thing though, I can headshot with a sniper for days on H5.

That’s because the bullet magnetism is so strong that as long as you’re aiming near the head, it’ll count as a hit.

But yeah, it’s not just you. When the game first came out there were a TON of threads about the aiming. H5 has extremely slippery aim acceleration that’s really difficult to wrestle with.

> 2533274908231480;7:
> I believe it’s caused by dedicated servers.

I believe this is the cause of most of my problems in H5…

> 2535470877233829;4:
> The aiming is terrible. I hate it when you try to movie diagonally and your turn speed slows to a crawl.

Happen to often, lost some encounters because of this

Im trying to aim higher, just push up aiming a little and you will hit the head more often, if you you dont push up the aiming you will hit the chest and be killed alot more.

> 2535417175535968;9:
> Thank god I thought I was the only one.
>
> My primary Halo was also Reach, and I can’t aim for -Yoink- in H5.
>
> I thought I was losing my edge so I jumped to Reach to see how I’d do. I was able to land shots just the same as when I was at the top of my game. Even with reticle bloom I was landing shots on strafing/jumping targets.
>
> Weird thing though, I can headshot with a sniper for days on H5.

Brother!

We should totally form the “We used to be decent at Reach but we are scrublords at Halo 5” Spartan Company (must work on shortening the name though). Together our pathetic aiming skills will shake the very foundations of the arena playlists! Or you know, we can just die in a ditch somewhere on Plaza. 50/50 really.

Anyways thanks to all of you for your answers and suggestions. Will try dropping aim accel at 1 while keep sensitivity at 3 and see if that works out since it the issues do indeed seem to stem from accelaration rather than aim sensitivity per se.

> 2535470877233829;8:
> > 2533274908231480;7:
> > This is probably the biggest problem in h5, yet no one talks about it. I believe it’s caused by dedicated servers, because I don’t have trouble aiming in previous halo titles. In this halo, aiming and aim assist and bullet magnetism changes based on who you’re shooting and what server you’re connected to. That’s why people keep changing sensitivity. They think that they are the problem. The truth is that they’re not changing, but the servers and their opponents are changing. Some people seem to be playing on lan while others get no aim assist. It’s frustrating to say the least.
>
> All games have what you’re talking about.
>
> The aiming issue is in the way the reticle actually reacts to stick movement. There is a very harsh aim acceleration curve that’s present even with acceleration set to 1.

This issue is still present, and I have to conclude from all I’ve seen and read about this issue, it is done that way by design. They intentionally changed the aiming in that drastic way. I just started playing Halo 5 a few weeks ago, and it is by far (not even comparable) the hardest Halo aiming system to get used to. Competitive shooting in it is no longer fun, and I HAVE finally gotten good at it. It’s just not fun, period, full stop. They MUST change this back to how it was in Halo 4 if they are going to please the fans who have been competitive Halo players since Halo 3.

I have really good aim and have tips for you. But first let me address the people claiming problems in H5 aiming. I have played all Halo games and don’t notice a difference.

However, there is one aiming issue that I believe is still present. Heavy aim. Occasionally, when the game is under heavy load, (lots of explosions, gun shots, players, AI,) the aim will get messed up for a second. I honestly am not sure it even exists. It’s just what I’ve heard and sometimes use as an excuse if I choke.

For sensitivity, you want to keep it as low as possible. You want to be able to hit your shots and with .5x .5y, 1 acceleration, you won’t miss. The problem is that at such a low sensitivity, there are some shots that are impossible to hit (like if someone jump thrusts) because you won’t be able to aim fast enough to keep up with enemy movement. So you hit 100% of your shots, but many shots will be impossible to hit.

So to eliminate the impossible shots, you have to increase your sensitivity. But the higher you increase your sensitivity, the more you will begin to miss shots. So just start at .5x, .5y, 1 acceleration and play games and tick it up until you find the perfect balance.

By the way, acceleration is essentially another sensitivity ticker. The higher you go the faster you aim. (Technically it’s the rate at which the velocity of your aimer changes but it’s easy to think of it as just another sensitivity setting)

Just to give you reference, I use 1.5x, 5y, 1 acceleration. But don’t copy me. Your controller and your thumb and your controller grip, and your preferences will get you to a different optimal sensitivity.

Also, keep inner and outer dead ones to 0. If you notice slow turn, increase your outer dead zone until it disappears.

> 2533274817438690;15:
> > 2535470877233829;8:
> > > 2533274908231480;7:
> > > This is probably the biggest problem in h5, yet no one talks about it. I believe it’s caused by dedicated servers, because I don’t have trouble aiming in previous halo titles. In this halo, aiming and aim assist and bullet magnetism changes based on who you’re shooting and what server you’re connected to. That’s why people keep changing sensitivity. They think that they are the problem. The truth is that they’re not changing, but the servers and their opponents are changing. Some people seem to be playing on lan while others get no aim assist. It’s frustrating to say the least.
> >
> > All games have what you’re talking about.
> >
> > The aiming issue is in the way the reticle actually reacts to stick movement. There is a very harsh aim acceleration curve that’s present even with acceleration set to 1.
>
> This issue is still present, and I have to conclude from all I’ve seen and read about this issue, it is done that way by design. They intentionally changed the aiming in that drastic way. I just started playing Halo 5 a few weeks ago, and it is by far (not even comparable) the hardest Halo aiming system to get used to. Competitive shooting in it is no longer fun, and I HAVE finally gotten good at it. It’s just not fun, period, full stop. They MUST change this back to how it was in Halo 4 if they are going to please the fans who have been competitive Halo players since Halo 3.

Please don’t revive old topics thanks