One control toggle that I consider ESSENTIAL

Hey Waypoint fellows and fellettes, you know my name already (if you don’t, look left!). I just wanted to create this post to express my singular annoyance with one single function of Combat Evolved. To start, I understand and agree with wanting to keep the integrity of the original game in Anniversary, and I respect that. However, with respect, no game belongs in 2011 without some degree of control customization, among other cosmetic and control features that the 2001 game simply lacks. I’m here to discuss a single one.

Getting into vehicles is horribly annoying in Combat Evolved. Actually, it’s not that bad. But when you see a Sniper Rifle on the ground, and you get out of the Warthog to grab it, you presumably don’t want to get right back into the Warthog, right? Well, this has always happened to me. Here’s the problem:

The controls of Combat Evolved have you “hold X” to swap weapons out. That’s good and awesome. However, when getting into vehicles, the game has you merely “pushing X”. This has caused me, multiple times, to get into a vehicle when I meant to pick up a weapon close to the vehicle, because the game prioritizes getting into the vehicles over picking up the weapons. So you have to move the vehicle, get out, then go back and grab your weapon. Almost any time a vehicle and weapon are close together, the game makes you get into the vehicle without choice.

Future games fixed this problem. Starting with Halo 2, vehicle boardings and weapon swaps carried equal weight, and if you were trying to pick up a weapon right next to a vehicle, it was very possible to position yourself. I have to admit, I like it much more this way. So while I understand maintaining Combat Evolved and its integrity, I have to disagree that things like this shouldn’t be updated.

I strongly believe that, at the very least, this feature should be able to be changed in the same way sensitivity or control scheme can. Simply add a “Hold X to get into vehicles” toggle right under a brand new crouch toggle (which is also a necessity, but for another thread).

That brings memories, I’m on the first bridge of Assault on the Control Room and after shooting the Banshee I start reloading my pistol. Countless times have I accidentally hopped on the Shade turret next to me causing my death because the Elite comes from the lower floor of the bridge ans shoots me before I manage to get out.

You see, it wasn’t beucause the vehicles were anymore prioritized than weapons, but because the area it automatically took you into a vehicle was so big, you could enter a vehicle without even looking at it.

I’m all for what you’re asking as long as it’s optional. Personally, that Shade turret example is one of my favorite memories from Halo CE.

> That brings memories, I’m on the first bridge of Assault on the Control Room and after shooting the Banshee I start reloading my pistol. Countless times have I accidentally hopped on the Shade turret next to me causing my death because the Elite comes from the lower floor of the bridge ans shoots me before I manage to get out.
>
> You see, it wasn’t beucause the vehicles were anymore prioritized than weapons, but because the area it automatically took you into a vehicle was so big, you could enter a vehicle without even looking at it.
>
> I’m all for what you’re asking as long as it’s optional. Personally, that Shade turret example is one of my favorite memories from Halo CE.

There’s that too; the area is huge. But if it were set to hold X, it still wouldn’t be as big a problem. I hadn’t even thought about the reloading, but now you mention it, I totally remember that that’s a problem too. Holding X would remedy that. And like I said, I really agree with them respecting Combat Evolved, so in my book, it has to be there, but it has to be a toggle.

> But when you see a Sniper Rifle on the ground, and you get out of the Warthog to grab it, you presumably don’t want to get right back into the Warthog, right? Well, this has always happened to me.

Park two meters away from the sniper rifle. Problem solved. =D