One-Bomb Assault on Breakpoint Needs To Be Fixed

Seriously, 1-bomb on Breakpoint is one of the most broken gametype + map combinations in Reach. I mean, I like 1-bomb assault a lot and Breakpoint’s a great map, but they just don’t work together properly.

Example: This game I just played a few minutes ago.

If your team has even only half a brain to share among them, you’re going to plant the bomb in less than 30 seconds. Grab the bomb, get into the Warthog, be driven to the bomb’s arming location, and maybe kill a guy or two in the 15 seconds it takes for the bomb to detonate. Done.

It’s basically like a Warthog rush in Halo Wars. XD

Kidding aside, in that game both teams scored twice each, and the game lasted just for four minutes. It’s like that almost every single time. I mean, I picked up the bomb at its spawn point and planted it twice, yet I have a total bomb carrying time of only 38 seconds - for both rounds combined. I’m pretty sure that’s not how 1-bomb was intended to be played.

The “problem”, so to speak, is the large tunnel leading directly to the bomb’s arming point. It takes you to the arming point so quickly, the other team has no chance to prepare any kind of defense. Even if they get their Falcon airborne with two gunners and wait for the Warthog to arrive, the Hog’s so quick you still manage to jump out and plant the bomb before you’re killed - IF you’re killed at all because you can easily sprint/evade to safety.

To fix this problem, I suggest to block the tunnel just enough to prevent Warthogs from driving through it while still allowing people on foot to use it.

The overarching problem is instant-arm assault. Why this was implemented is beyond my comprehension. The situation you described would be far less prevalent if the default assault settings were used instead. As it is, unless you are able to get to the bomb in five seconds without being grenade nuked, its not possible to disarm.

> The overarching problem is instant-arm assault. Why this was implemented is beyond my comprehension. The situation you described would be far less prevalent if the default assault settings were used instead. As it is, unless you are able to get to the bomb in five seconds without being grenade nuked, its not possible to disarm.

it should take 5 seconds of standing on it to disarm it. it should blow up after 10-15 seconds, and it should take 3 seconds of sitting on it to defuse it.

i dont know what the point of having the fuse timer is after you plant it. currently, if you see the bomb planted, they score. if there is even 1 person alive he can simply throw a mini nuke from distance and clear out the people disarming it with ease.

@No1Gangster i havent played these maps since i dont have the map pack (im not supporting halo reach till they patch the -Yoinking!- game). that being said, do you think it could be possible to learn the route in which the warthog takes then be prepared for it to kill the people arming by yourself? is the arm time INSTANT? or does it take like 5 seconds? is bubble shield available (because that could really help the attackers out :C ).

it seems to me like this strategy is widely used so you can anticipate it and maybe defend against it because of that, but i could be wrong.

> > The overarching problem is instant-arm assault. Why this was implemented is beyond my comprehension. The situation you described would be far less prevalent if the default assault settings were used instead. As it is, unless you are able to get to the bomb in five seconds without being grenade nuked, its not possible to disarm.
>
> it should take 5 seconds of standing on it to disarm it. it should blow up after 10-15 seconds, and it should take 3 seconds of sitting on it to defuse it.
>
> i dont know what the point of having the fuse timer is after you plant it. currently, if you see the bomb planted, they score. if there is even 1 person alive he can simply throw a mini nuke from distance and clear out the people disarming it with ease.
>
> @No1Gangster i havent played these maps since i dont have the map pack (im not supporting halo reach till they patch the Yoink! game). that being said, do you think it could be possible to learn the route in which the warthog takes then be prepared for it to kill the people arming by yourself? is the arm time INSTANT? or does it take like 5 seconds? is bubble shield available (because that could really help the attackers out :C ).
>
> it seems to me like this strategy is widely used so you can anticipate it and maybe defend against it because of that, but i could be wrong.

the arm time is instant - i have the bomb, i get to the point, ‘bomb armed’

the fuse is 10 seconds - the disarm time is 5 seconds - you have 5 seconds to get to it after i arm it or it CANNOT be disarmed

the tunnel is directly from the bomb spawn to the bomb point (give or take 20meters either end)

the defenders only real weapon to stop the warthog rush, is a plasma laucher. which by the time yo get to it, the warthog is already half way down the tunnel, the launcher takes time to fire by which point the bomb is armed and theres the rest of the attacking team running down the tunnel DMRing anyone bold enough to try disarm it.

the attackers have easy access to a laser. to crack a drop shield and/or the falcon.hope that clears things up for you

> the arm time is instant - i have the bomb, i get to the point, ‘bomb armed’
>
> the fuse is 10 seconds - the disarm time is 5 seconds - you have 5 seconds to get to it after i arm it or it CANNOT be disarmed
>
> the tunnel is directly from the bomb spawn to the bomb point (give or take 20meters either end)
>
> the defenders only real weapon to stop the warthog rush, is a plasma laucher. which by the time yo get to it, the warthog is already half way down the tunnel, the launcher takes time to fire by which point the bomb is armed and theres the rest of the attacking team running down the tunnel DMRing anyone bold enough to try disarm it.
>
> the attackers have easy access to a laser. to crack a drop shield and/or the falcon.hope that clears things up for you

Yep, you run over the arm point and the bomb is armed instantly. It takes 10 seconds for the bomb to detonate, and five seconds to disarm it.

However, if there is even only one attacker close to the bomb, you cannot disarm it. The countdown doesn’t even stop. So the attackers just keep rushing to the bomb to prevent it from being disarmed. And the attackers only have to pull that off for 5.1 seconds - after that the remaining time is too short to disarm the bomb.

That’s a problem with assault in general, but on most maps you can take the bomb carrier out somewhere along the way to the arm point. Not so on Breakpoint.