On the Osiris/Blue Team Imbalance

I really don’t want this to turn into another Arbiter situation from Halo 2 and Halo 3.

What I mean by that is this: When Halo 2 first came out, there was a massive backlash against the Arbiter. People were flinging torches and pitchforks all up and down Bungie’s forums over the fact that for half of the game, you weren’t playing as Chief. Meanwhile, I and a fair number of other, quieter fans, were fascinated by the behind-the-scenes look at the Covenant that the Arbiter gave us. We loved the inside perspective he gave us at how the Covenant fractured from within, and we were very much excited about where his story could go in Halo 3.

But thanks to all that backlash, we never got to find out. Thanks to all that backlash, Bungie massively overcompensated and cut the Arbiter’s storyline out of Halo 3 almost entirely and to this day, that remains my single biggest complaint about Halo 3. A complaint that has become even more potent now that the Master Chief Collection allows a near seamless play-through of the original trilogy.

I do not want to see the same thing happen with Halo 6.

I like Locke. I think he has great potential as a character, and I think he could do wonders for opening up the universe and showing us another side of the UNSC. But more than that, I think Halo 5 being Locke-heavy could be a great way to set up Halo 6 being Chief-heavy. I think Halo 5 is setting up a massive conflict that is going to make the Human/Covenant War look like a Nerf gun fight at a five-year-old’s birthday party, and I think Halo 6 is going to be all about Osiris and Blue Team working together to stop that conflict at it’s source while the Humans and Elites become formal allies to combat whatever armies this new threat throws our way.

And if having that conflict properly built up and paid off means that I have to deal with one game not having as much Chief and Blue Team as I was hoping for, that is a price I am more than willing to pay.

TL;DR: People absolutely rioted over the Arbiter’s inclusion in Halo 2 and Bungie responded by almost completely cutting him and his story out of Halo 3. Yet now, he’s become a much loved part of this universe. Please don’t force 343 to make that same mistake with Locke. Give them a chance to make him the next Arbiter.

Locke’s growing on me.

> 2533274805095781;2:
> Locke’s growing on me.

Same here. I think his story is going to follow a similar path as the Arbiter’s, where he realizes things aren’t as cut-and-dry as his leaders told him they were, and he ultimately becomes a close ally and friend of the Master Chief. I just want people to let 343 tell that story properly, and not hamstring it like Bungie did with the Arbiter.

> 2533274985547444;1:
> I really don’t want this to turn into another Arbiter situation from Halo 2 and Halo 3.
>
> What I mean by that is this: When Halo 2 first came out, there was a massive backlash against the Arbiter. People were flinging torches and pitchforks all up and down Bungie’s forums over the fact that for half of the game, you weren’t playing as Chief. Meanwhile, I and a fair number of other, quieter fans, were fascinated by the behind-the-scenes look at the Covenant that the Arbiter gave us. We loved the inside perspective he gave us at how the Covenant fractured from within, and we were very much excited about where his story could go in Halo 3.
>
> But thanks to all that backlash, we never got to find out. Thanks to all that backlash, Bungie massively overcompensated and cut the Arbiter’s storyline out of Halo 3 almost entirely and to this day, that remains my single biggest complaint about Halo 3. A complaint that has become even more potent now that the Master Chief Collection allows a near seamless play-through of the original trilogy.
>
> I do not want to see the same thing happen with Halo 6.
>
> I like Locke. I think he has great potential as a character, and I think he could do wonders for opening up the universe and showing us another side of the UNSC. But more than that, I think Halo 5 being Locke-heavy could be a great way to set up Halo 6 being Chief-heavy. I think Halo 5 is setting up a massive conflict that is going to make the Human/Covenant War look like a Nerf gun fight at a five-year-old’s birthday party, and I think Halo 6 is going to be all about Osiris and Blue Team working together to stop that conflict at it’s source while the Humans and Elites become formal allies to combat whatever armies this new threat throws our way.
>
> And if having that conflict properly built up and paid off means that I have to deal with one game not having as much Chief and Blue Team as I was hoping for, that is a price I am more than willing to pay.
>
> TL;DR: People absolutely rioted over the Arbiter’s inclusion in Halo 2 and Bungie responded by almost completely cutting him and his story out of Halo 3. Yet now, he’s become a much loved part of this universe. Please don’t force 343 to make that same mistake with Locke. Give them a chance to make him the next Arbiter.

I agree I always loved the arbiter part of halo 2 as a kid. I’ve played all the halo games except the latest Spartan whatever it is. And I’ve loved every story maybe not agreed with a few things but I’ve always enjoyed the story. I bawled at the end of halo 4 but don’t complain if they bring HER back because it doesn’t change what masterchief went through it just means that their interaction is back and that was one of the things I loved about all the numbered halos thus far.

I’ve liked Locke from the start (Nightfall was okay) as I find that I can relate to his reluctance to blindly follow orders.

The Halo Universe is just that, a universe, and ultimately, John is now a relatively small part of that. Chief will always be our go-to hero and we all have a lot of history with him but we shouldn’t be afraid to branch out.

343 didn’t help though with painting him as Chief’s rival but it did what it was supposed to do; stir the pot and get some talk going on.

> 2533274985547444;3:
> > 2533274805095781;2:
> > Locke’s growing on me.
>
>
> Same here. I think his story is going to follow a similar path as the Arbiter’s, where he realizes things aren’t as cut-and-dry as his leaders told him they were, and he ultimately becomes a close ally and friend of the Master Chief. I just want people to let 343 tell that story properly, and not hamstring it like Bungie did with the Arbiter.

I hope so right now he’s grating on me with the way he acts and sounds. Like in the trailer holding a gun on masterchief like seriously that’s not going to phase him it’s not the first or the last time someone’s pointed a gun at him. He has this arrogance to him from what I’ve seen so far but he needs a chance to prove himself which is obviously halo 5. So judgment waits till the end credits roll and maybe after that depending on the after credit scene.

I completely agree. Sometimes listening to fans to much can end up hurting the story and even gameplay. Mass Effect is good example. Bioware had some really cool ideas for the third game but forced in a bunch of stuff because of what fans wanted. Not saying developers should not listen to the fans at all and take the feedback they get into consideration but not bent over backwards either.

I think this might seem problematic on paper, but if chief was shoehorned into every other mission just for the sake of it, the mystery of Blue Team’s missions would lose their allure, and the intrigue that game is building up would be lost. Also, it seems like chief will still prevalent in the cinematics even if he isn’t playable, so really it’s just a matter of who you’re playing as. I think it would be much more interesting to have Blue Team’s motivations and actions unknown, while Osiris has to investigate and deal with the consequences that Blue team causes.

> 2533274944778648;8:
> I think this might seem problematic on paper, but if chief was shoehorned into every other mission just for the sake of it, the mystery of Blue Team’s missions would lose their allure, and the intrigue that game is building up would be lost. Also, it seems like chief will still prevalent in the cinematics even if he isn’t playable, so really it’s just a matter of who you’re playing as. I think it would be much more interesting to have Blue Team’s motivations and actions unknown, while Osiris has to investigate and deal with the consequences that Blue team causes.

This. The story is still about completely revolved around Chief, just because we may not play as him as much as Locke doesn’t mean his story won’t be told to the same degree. If it were to be an even split between playing as Locke and Chief, we’d basically known exactly what’s going on every time we switch to Locke as he chases after Chief with no mystery what so ever killing the whole “hunt for the truth” vibe that has been set up.

Honestly IMO as long as the story is good and meaningful I’m totally okay with playing as a different character and getting a different perspective on the story even if it is for more missions than we get with Chief. Since regardless who we play as this is still Chief’s story.

I really don’t mind playing Osiris at all. I really like them

Totally agree, the arbiter got the shaft in Halo 3. And Halo 3 IMO was one of the more dull entries into the series. The campaign was just anticlimatic at some points, and they spend the whole duration of Halo 2 building the arbiters character…and did nothing with him in Halo 3.

And now there’s a whole section of the community who wants playable elites to return, people are just stupid.

> 2533274912317447;10:
> I really don’t mind playing Osiris at all. I really like them

Same here. Blue Team is absolutely bad -Yoink- (especially since I’ve read the books) but I’ve always wanted to see what Spartan IVs were TRULY capable of. Osiris is everything I could’ve wanted. They all have such awesome backgrounds, and when brought together they make one hell of a team. In the RUL mission 8 stream (no spoilers), they come upon the aftermath of a battle. Swords of sanghelios elites lie dead everywhere. Vale recites a sanghelli poem, which she says is an ancient sanghelli warrior hymn (to honor the dead). Buck then responds- “they’re our allies. As far as I’m concerned, that makes them brothers.” And tanaka says “let’s make the covies pay for this”. I don’t know why, but this exchange is so cool. They each contribute a bit of their personalities into the conversation.

> 2533274805095781;2:
> Locke’s growing on me.

Like fungus…

If he was killed by 343 off screen in between halo 5 and 6 I’d be quite ok with it.

And frankly hope the rioting makes the halo 2 backlash look like a quiet cough of disapproval

> 2533274831364893;11:
> Totally agree, the arbiter got the shaft in Halo 3. And Halo 3 IMO was one of the more dull entries into the series. The campaign was just anticlimatic at some points, and they spend the whole duration of Halo 2 building the arbiters character…and did nothing with him in Halo 3.
>
> And now there’s a whole section of the community who wants playable elites to return, people are just stupid.

Yeah I know, I feel like their was supposed to be more to halo 3’s campaign like arbiters side of things just the way the game worked and the cutscenes putting some emphasis on the arbiter but never really doing anything with him other than being the second player and I also felt there was supposed to be an explanation in game for the other players being elites. Other than they had to be because no other Spartans.

> 2533274816213727;9:
> > 2533274944778648;8:
> > I think this might seem problematic on paper, but if chief was shoehorned into every other mission just for the sake of it, the mystery of Blue Team’s missions would lose their allure, and the intrigue that game is building up would be lost. Also, it seems like chief will still prevalent in the cinematics even if he isn’t playable, so really it’s just a matter of who you’re playing as. I think it would be much more interesting to have Blue Team’s motivations and actions unknown, while Osiris has to investigate and deal with the consequences that Blue team causes.
>
>
> This. The story is still about completely revolved around Chief, just because we may not play as him as much as Locke doesn’t mean his story won’t be told to the same degree. If it were to be an even split between playing as Locke and Chief, we’d basically known exactly what’s going on every time we switch to Locke as he chases after Chief with no mystery what so ever killing the whole “hunt for the truth” vibe that has been set up.
>
> Honestly IMO as long as the story is good and meaningful I’m totally okay with playing as a different character and getting a different perspective on the story even if it is for more missions than we get with Chief. Since regardless who we play as this is still Chief’s story.

The way I see it is that Locke’s missions will be all about the questions, and Chief’s missions will be all about the answers. And yeah, if you want to have a mystery element to your story, then by definition you’ll have to curtail the screen time of the character who has the answers. Like you said, if Halo 5 is going to be all about “hunting the truth”, it only makes sense that you’d spend more time as the hunter than the hunted.

> 2533274800110367;13:
> > 2533274805095781;2:
> > Locke’s growing on me.
>
>
> Like fungus…
> If he was killed by 343 off screen in between halo 5 and 6 I’d be quite ok with it.
> And frankly hope the rioting makes the halo 2 backlash look like a quiet cough of disapproval

So you’re not even willing to give Locke a chance? Why?

> 2533274985547444;16:
> > 2533274800110367;13:
> > > 2533274805095781;2:
> > > Locke’s growing on me.
> >
> >
> > Like fungus…
> > If he was killed by 343 off screen in between halo 5 and 6 I’d be quite ok with it.
> > And frankly hope the rioting makes the halo 2 backlash look like a quiet cough of disapproval
>
>
> So you’re not even willing to give Locke a chance? Why?

Because he’s not Chief :P, but seriously I wish people would at least judge him through the game rather than marketing material.

> 2533274985547444;16:
> > 2533274800110367;13:
> > > 2533274805095781;2:
> > > Locke’s growing on me.
> >
> >
> > Like fungus…
> > If he was killed by 343 off screen in between halo 5 and 6 I’d be quite ok with it.
> > And frankly hope the rioting makes the halo 2 backlash look like a quiet cough of disapproval
>
>
> So you’re not even willing to give Locke a chance? Why?

Perception. I disliked him from the beginning (thanks to colter) and unless something major happens in halo 5 to redeem him in my eyes I will gladly see him eradicated from the fictional universe.

> 2533274944778648;17:
> > 2533274985547444;16:
> > > 2533274800110367;13:
> > > > 2533274805095781;2:
> > > > Locke’s growing on me.
> > >
> > >
> > > Like fungus…
> > > If he was killed by 343 off screen in between halo 5 and 6 I’d be quite ok with it.
> > > And frankly hope the rioting makes the halo 2 backlash look like a quiet cough of disapproval
> >
> >
> > So you’re not even willing to give Locke a chance? Why?
>
>
> Because he’s not Chief :P, but seriously I wish people would at least judge him through the game rather than marketing material.

You and me both. I will happily drink the haterade if Locke turns out to be a massive -Yoink- by the end of the campaign, or if his story contributes nothing of value to the overall Halo-verse. But until that time, innocent until proven guilty and all that.

> 2533274985547444;19:
> > 2533274944778648;17:
> > > 2533274985547444;16:
> > > > 2533274800110367;13:
> > > > > 2533274805095781;2:
> > > > > Locke’s growing on me.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Like fungus…
> > > > If he was killed by 343 off screen in between halo 5 and 6 I’d be quite ok with it.
> > > > And frankly hope the rioting makes the halo 2 backlash look like a quiet cough of disapproval
> > >
> > >
> > > So you’re not even willing to give Locke a chance? Why?
> >
> >
> > Because he’s not Chief :P, but seriously I wish people would at least judge him through the game rather than marketing material.
>
>
> You and me both. I will happily drink the haterade if Locke turns out to be a massive -Yoink- by the end of the campaign, or if his story contributes nothing of value to the overall Halo-verse. But until that time, innocent until proven guilty and all that.

Yeah, from what I’ve seen from him he is inoffensive at the very least(even though I find him to be interesting and a potential arbiter type character like you said), and I hope that if the game is generally well-liked, then perhaps some of that good will will extend to Locke, and if the game ends in a cliffhanger, then people will denounce the story and Locke will take the fall with it.