"On my X" is finally back

I just have a couple comments about this. I haven’t been to this site in a long time, but I just have to comment on this “addition”.

So, the X on the screen where a teammate dies is coming back. But why was it taken out in the first place? And why has it taken this long to come back? The X was a necessary game aspect as it was definitely vital for callouts and teamwork. I cannot think of any even DECENT reason that this feature had to be removed, so why was it taken out?

Im glad its back. It should have never been taken away.

I dont think it was a “necessary” and “vital” aspect in “This game”.

Instant respawns + dynamic spawning + red x = does not sound like a winning combination.

While I understand why it was important to the community and Im not complaining about it being added or not, I always felt (and I’ve used it too) that it was a crutch for people not learning all the call outs.

“dead on my x”

vs

“2 at blue tower”

It wasn’t used for general enemy positions so much but rather for dropped weapons, such as if he had rockets and died in a place that doesn’t have a specific callout. Instead of describing the location over a few seconds, risking the weapon despawning (which in Halo 4 is like five seconds), he just has to call out “On my X” and bam, his team knows to where he is referring.

Plus, it’s incredibly helpful for when you go in alone and don’t have teammates calling out when and where they died. This way, you can better tell what’s going on around the map without the communication normally necessary for it.

I never stopped saying “on my X” when I died oddly enough. At least now it’ll mean something.

Now we need to fix the rapid weapon de-spawning.

> I never stopped saying “on my X” when I died oddly enough. At least now it’ll mean something.
>
> Now we need to fix the rapid weapon de-spawning.

Exactly, I and many others have only recently forced ourselves to stop using that callout. Even with the weapons despawning quickly, at least saying “Rockets on my X” can increase the odds of us picking the weapons up before they disappear.

What is the de-spawn timer, by the way? Does anybody here know? I’ve never paid much attention. Can’t be much longer than 15 seconds.

Now we bring back descoping (hopefully) and then we need to focus on what needs to leave…“JIP cough cough”…“instant respawn cough cough”…

Ah yes, de-scoping. That definitely needs to return as does the ability to drop the flag. Automatic pickup for objectives needs to go as well.

> Ah yes, de-scoping. That definitely needs to return as does the ability to drop the flag. Automatic pickup for objectives needs to go as well.

Agreed, I think if there is a way to fix it without making it so drastically, is to make it so you have the option to pick up flag, but once held you can’t drop it. You still get your pistol as defense so it ain’t THAT bad. Just an idea though cause I also hate all the auto pickup in everything objective.

> > Ah yes, de-scoping. That definitely needs to return as does the ability to drop the flag. Automatic pickup for objectives needs to go as well.
>
> Agreed, I think if there is a way to fix it without making it so drastically, is to make it so you have the option to pick up flag, but once held you can’t drop it. You still get your pistol as defense so it ain’t THAT bad. Just an idea though cause I also hate all the auto pickup in everything objective.

I’d honestly be okay with that I suppose, but I still like the old way better. You had a choice to make- reveal your position by juggling the flag for more speed/use of weapon, or hold onto the flag to keep from being found as easily. This made for intense flag standoffs and created another component to the CTF skill gap.

Man, there are just so many unnecessary changes that they made to this game that completely changes the way it’s played, not even including the loadouts. De-scoping, making the BR a fiev-shot, auto-pickup of objectives, weapon despawning, removing the X, the nerf of the Carbine (which makes it practically useless against either the DMR or the BR), and others. So many changes that were simply unneeded.

It was change for the sake of change.

> I dont think it was a “necessary” and “vital” aspect in “This game”.
>
> Instant respawns + dynamic spawning + red x = does not sound like a winning combination.
>
> While I understand why it was important to the community and Im not complaining about it being added or not, I always felt (and I’ve used it too) that it was a crutch for people not learning all the call outs.
>
> “dead on my x”
>
> vs
>
> “2 at blue tower”

Totally agree with this poster. I never found the need for the X in H4 since I just call out where I died. This will make teams get lazy with callouts BUT will help those in games where there is no communication as well.

Will your X marker be visible to you if you die and instant respawn?

> I dont think it was a “necessary” and “vital” aspect in “This game”.
>
> Instant respawns + dynamic spawning + red x = does not sound like a winning combination.
>
> While I understand why it was important to the community and Im not complaining about it being added or not, I always felt (and I’ve used it too) that it was a crutch for people not learning all the call outs.
>
> “dead on my x”
>
> vs
>
> “2 at blue tower”

If there were callouts, I’d agree. But this game doesn’t have those either, which doesn’t make it easy on maps that look exactly the same from all angles. “He’s at the tree!..no, the other tree! Now he’s at the grey wall!.. No, the other grey wall!”

At last I won’t die and say “one shot on my…oh…never mind”.

> > I dont think it was a “necessary” and “vital” aspect in “This game”.
> >
> > Instant respawns + dynamic spawning + red x = does not sound like a winning combination.
> >
> > While I understand why it was important to the community and Im not complaining about it being added or not, I always felt (and I’ve used it too) that it was a crutch for people not learning all the call outs.
> >
> > “dead on my x”
> >
> > vs
> >
> > “2 at blue tower”
>
> If there were callouts, I’d agree. But this game doesn’t have those either, which doesn’t make it easy on maps that look exactly the same from all angles. “He’s at the tree!..no, the other tree! Now he’s at the grey wall!.. No, the other grey wall!”
>
>
> At last I won’t die and say “one shot on my…oh…never mind”.

Well, you can make your own callouts. But sometimes just saying “On my X” is better, more accurate, or faster, especially for more specific locations. Instead of saying “I dropped sniper at Pelican”, making you have to search around the Pelican or wait for him to explain WHERE at Pelican, risking a despawn, you can just call out “On my X” and the teammate will go to exactly where you died easier and find the sniper.

I don’t think it was a conscious removal. This is a new game built by a new team on a new engine. I believe it was more of an accidental oversight, hence why they are adding it now.

> I don’t think it was a conscious removal. This is a new game built by a new team on a new engine.

Actually it was built on the Reach engine.

> > I don’t think it was a conscious removal. This is a new game built by a new team on a new engine.
>
> Actually it was built on the Reach engine.

Which they gutted and rebuilt from the ground up, making it effectively an entirely new engine.