Omni-directional sprint could be a solution

While this is yet another sprint thread, I like to consider it somewhat unique among the rest, as I don’t think I’ve ever seen this idea before. See, for the longest time I’ve been a pro-sprint person. I just never personally thought that it impacted Halo’s gameplay in any significant way, because I think Halo 5 is one of the best in the series; but after reading this well thought-out post on the matter, I’ve become a bit more ambiguous on it. I’m still fine with sprint being in Halo, but considering that a part of the community believe that it hardly adds depth to the gameplay (and with some very good points to back that up), I think I have an outlandish idea. Getting rid of sprint wouldn’t help since there are people who like it, so here’s what you can do:

Imagine an omni-directional sprint mechanic where you can sprint in any direction. It’d look weird in your head, but not only is it possible in real life, we should consider that these are augmented super soldiers, so their physical actions don’t need to be plausible. And regardless of that fact, gameplay > canon physics.

Of course, you’d need to balance it by having it so you de-sprint when shot and your shields don’t recharge. You should be able to have your gun up at the ready when clambering, for being stuck in an animation while being shot isn’t entirely fun.

I suppose you could include being able to shoot while sprinting, as was the case in Half-life 2, which could really work. By having an omni-directional sprint with your gun up at all times, even when clambering, it’d create the same movement depth from, say, Halo 2 or 3, only at a faster pace.

This isn’t the most thought-out idea, and I know it sounds messed up, but just think about how it’d turn out in your head first. If there are any flaws that I missed in this, feel free to point them out.

I support this idea. Needs to be fleshed out with some of the technicalities further delved into but its actually a well rounded idea IMO. Are you thinking unlimited sprint like Halo 5 or limited sprint times?

Well, why have sprint at all if its omnidirectional? Why not increase the base movement speed?

> 2535464699776153;2:
> I support this idea. Needs to be fleshed out with some of the technicalities further delved into but its actually a well rounded idea IMO. Are you thinking unlimited sprint like Halo 5 or limited sprint times?

Probably unlimited so everyone’s at even sides of the chess board. Though, you’d need to use it methodically as to not be knocked out of it. Oh, and thanks for the support, man!

I’d be willing try it, if they implemented it in some kind of beta test.

I would like to see a system where moving full stick forward for a set amount of time increased you to sprint speed and you can keep your weapon up however the reticule slightly expands nerfing accuracy a little bit to compensate, strafing or pulling back on the stick slightly would take you out of it

it would help bring back that classic Halo feel while keeping sprint in the game, and at the same time would differentiate itself from other shooters, people always say “it makes sense that spartans should be able to sprint” so in that case, shouldn’t it make sense that spartans should be able to shoot while sprinting? these spartans are ruthless killing machines why should they be as limited in combat as those goofball guardians or chad steel or whatever the -Yoink- the guys name is from CoD?

I whole heartedly support “guns up at all times” gameplay but also love the mobility of Halo 5 so this could definitely please pro/anti sprinters. I imagine it’d be a little harder to aim while zipping around in sprint so it would offer extra speed at a slight cost of accuracy, which would balance out the mechanic.

I think strafing should be impossible while sprinting though, so say if you sidestepping to the right while sprinting and then suddenly pull the stick left it’ll juke you back left but your sprint will cease to be and you’ll have to enter sprint again at that point. And I think the “no strafing while sprinting” law should apply to all directions, so essentially, if you jerk the stick from any direction that would pretty much halt your character for a split second and move them the opposite way, it should disable sprint and require you enter the mechanic again from that point.

> 2533274915643658;3:
> Well, why have sprint at all if its omnidirectional? Why not increase the base movement speed?

I’m just trying to please everyone. There are just as many people who want sprint to stay as there are those against it.

I appreciate new ideas, but i think the most simple solution is splitting the francise.
Halo 6 that follows 343 philosophy and a Spin Off with classic gameplay.
This is the only way to know what mechanic is more successful.

Omnidirectional sprint will only help you so much unless you add the ability to shoot while doing so. Increase spread if neccessary (which, by the way, has already been suggested for years) but the problem with sprint is that it separates movement from combat by disabling your ability to shoot. Something which should never, ever happen in Halo, with the sole exception possibly being reload or overheating.

I think sprint is working fine as it is. It adds more dynamics to the game, and is suitably balanced.

> 2533274822660151;9:
> I appreciate new ideas, but i think the most simple solution is splitting the francise.
> Halo 6 that follows 343 philosophy and a Spin Off with classic gameplay.
> This is the only way to know what mechanic is more successful.

If anything, it should be Halo 6 with the classic mechanics - since, you know, people seem to want actual Halo mechanics for their Halo games, judging by sales and population - while they can release Reach 2 or Locke’s Tales with all the armour and spartan abilities they want…

But this seems to be the only surefire way that everybody gets his piece of the cake.

It would have to be fleshed out more first, but it sounds like a good compromise for the pro/anti sprint people. Although I myself would much rather have increased base speed and Reach style AAs (bubble shield and active camo, minus the radar jam, and the others and possibly some of the ones from the Spartan attack synonyms)

> 2533274801176260;10:
> Omnidirectional sprint will only help you so much unless you add the ability to shoot while doing so. Increase spread if neccessary (which, by the way, has already been suggested for years) but the problem with sprint is that it separates movement from combat by disabling your ability to shoot. Something which should never, ever happen in Halo, with the sole exception possibly being reload or overheating.

It’s always a good idea to fully read the post before commenting. Just a suggestion.

Just make base movement speed variable depending on how far you are moving the sticks. All the way to the edges makes you sprint, half way is about where the normal movement is now. That way we get our “sprint” by basically upgrading base movement speed.

> 2533274895603860;1:
> While this is yet another sprint thread, I like to consider it somewhat unique among the rest, as I don’t think I’ve ever seen this idea before. See, for the longest time I’ve been a pro-sprint person. I just never personally thought that it impacted Halo’s gameplay in any significant way, because I think Halo 5 is one of the best in the series; but after reading this well thought-out post on the matter, I’ve become a bit more ambiguous on it. I’m still fine with sprint being in Halo, but considering that a part of the community believe that it hardly adds depth to the gameplay (and with some very good points to back that up), I think I have an outlandish idea. Getting rid of sprint wouldn’t help since there are people who like it, so here’s what you can do:
>
> Imagine an omni-directional sprint mechanic where you can sprint in any direction. It’d look weird in your head, but not only is it possible in real life, we should consider that these are augmented super soldiers, so their physical actions don’t need to be plausible. And regardless of that fact, gameplay > canon physics.
>
> Of course, you’d need to balance it by having it so you de-sprint when shot and your shields don’t recharge. You should be able to have your gun up at the ready when clambering, for being stuck in an animation while being shot isn’t entirely fun.
>
> I suppose you could include being able to shoot while sprinting, as was the case in Half-life 2, which could really work. By having an omni-directional sprint with your gun up at all times, even when clambering, it’d create the same movement depth from, say, Halo 2 or 3, only at a faster pace.
>
> This isn’t the most thought-out idea, and I know it sounds messed up, but just think about how it’d turn out in your head first. If there are any flaws that I missed in this, feel free to point them out.

This is something I can get behind honestly.

If it is omnidirectional, then why bother having sprint in the first place? Especially if you have your gun at the ready at all times. That just screams redundant when simply increasing base movement does the same thing without having to have a seperate button for an animation/speed boost mechanic.

I believe we could take the Quake route and just have a velocity based movement as in you move forward and the more you move, the faster you go. It makes for really intense engagements when you can move at practically lightning speed without having to press extra buttons and still be able to fight back.

> 2533274895603860;14:
> It’s always a good idea to fully read the post before commenting. Just a suggestion.

I did read the entire post, thank you very much.

You mentioned it as a possible suggestion. Well, I’m here to tell you that it’s a neccessity.

> 2533274801176260;18:
> > 2533274895603860;14:
> > It’s always a good idea to fully read the post before commenting. Just a suggestion.
>
>
> I did read the entire post, thank you very much.
>
> You mentioned it as a possible suggestion. Well, I’m here to tell you that it’s a neccessity.

I agree.

Honestly I could live with sprint if it was implemented like Reach or H4. Halo 4 on MCC was actually pretty good. Its broken in H5 because its unlimited and paired with thruster pack. Just need to find a way to prevent double melee’s.