OMG, The controller layout sucks.

Come on 343, you been living under a rock??? The controller layout sucks. Either you’ve been working so hard you haven’t had time to play other games on the market or the decision has been actively to avoid the as now standard FPS layout of scope LT, Sprint LS, crouch RS. What ever the excuse it isn’t good enough and it goes against the fact that gamers have been led to believe you’d be updating Halo and bringing it into 2012 and beyond rather than leaving it stuck in 2007.

Did you really have such a dilemma as to the controller layout you couldn’t figure out where to put sprint and make everything else work? Did you miss it’s already been figured out by the COD/Battlefield community? Are you THAT arrogant that you think people are going to continue to spend time on multiple games if the controller layout causes mistakes such as throwing a grenade instead of scoping or vice-versa?

Before people get too out of their tree lets just get a few things straight. I played Halo, Halo 2 and Halo 3 before I even touched a COD game, so don’t mistake me as a pure CODist (My first was MW2) and my Halo play time far exceeds any other game. At the old, old age of 32 I’ve seen every controller system and configuration come and go… I still have zip-sticks in the loft and can remember VR helmets. However, it was clear one month or two months past the launch of Reach that Halo was no longer where it’s at. The controller map was at odds with most other shooters on the market… including games like the awesome Borderlands… the maps were either recycled spaces or the bland, soulless, green grass, blue sky, grey steel vistas of forge world. Load-outs were enforced and most things multiplayer felt stale fresh out of the box. Thank god for the awesome campaign and the excellent firefight mode. If it weren’t for those modes Reach would have stayed on the shelf. As far as multiplayer goes I’ve been on Bad company 2/Battlefield 3 ever since Arena season 3.

It’s still obvious that there is a large element in 343 (probably left over from the now bloated and out of touch Bungie… remember when they were awesome?) that are still afraid to let the community make decisions through in game options and just let people play how THEY want to play. There is absolutely no reason why you can’t just let the gamers make their own controller map. It has existed for years on the PC. The guys at gearbox have allowed it in Borderlands 2 and (shock horror) their office hasn’t exploded, the seas haven’t boiled and contrary to what people may make of the existence of Simon Cow-Bell, the apocalypse is not upon us.

The bottom line here is if you want to make you game accessible you gotta help with the transition. The controller layout and lack of options to customize is going to affect how many people make that transition because the only good layout on offer is Fishstick… even COD has moved on from that. I have missed Halo multiplayer like crazy since Halo 3 and I want my fix… but I won’t take a step back to get it. Yes, you’ll sell more copies than any game ever before like reach and Halo 4 will die just as quick if you don’t deliver a good experience. I’m not just talking about controller maps either. The board is already peppered with unhappy community members asking where is?.. you promised?.. etc.

You want people to play Halo? You want people to come back to this great series of titles? Listen, learn and act. The community asks for nothing more.

Nope. Recon controll layout is good. Just get used to it.

They have listened to all the complaining the community has been doing over the last couple of months. Where have you been?

did you really feel the need to type an essay expressing your hate… now time to actually read it

Pre-order cancelled.

As long as the controls feel like Halo, I don’t care.

> Come on 343, you been living under a rock??? The controller layout sucks. Either you’ve been working so hard you haven’t had time to play other games on the market or the decision has been actively to avoid the as now standard FPS layout of scope LT, Sprint LS, crouch RS. What ever the excuse it isn’t good enough and it goes against the fact that gamers have been led to believe you’d be updating Halo and bringing it into 2012 and beyond rather than leaving it stuck in 2007.
>
> Did you really have such a dilemma as to the controller layout you couldn’t figure out where to put sprint and make everything else work? Did you miss it’s already been figured out by the COD/Battlefield community? Are you THAT arrogant that you think people are going to continue to spend time on multiple games if the controller layout causes mistakes such as throwing a grenade instead of scoping or vice-versa?
>
> Before people get too out of their tree lets just get a few things straight. I played Halo, Halo 2 and Halo 3 before I even touched a COD game, so don’t mistake me as a pure CODist (My first was MW2) and my Halo play time far exceeds any other game. At the old, old age of 32 I’ve seen every controller system and configuration come and go… I still have zip-sticks in the loft and can remember VR helmets. However, it was clear one month or two months past the launch of Reach that Halo was no longer where it’s at. The controller map was at odds with most other shooters on the market… including games like the awesome Borderlands… the maps were either recycled spaces or the bland, soulless, green grass, blue sky, grey steel vistas of forge world. Load-outs were enforced and most things multiplayer felt stale fresh out of the box. Thank god for the awesome campaign and the excellent firefight mode. If it weren’t for those modes Reach would have stayed on the shelf. As far as multiplayer goes I’ve been on Bad company 2/Battlefield 3 ever since Arena season 3.
>
> It’s still obvious that there is a large element in 343 (probably left over from the now bloated and out of touch Bungie… remember when they were awesome?) that are still afraid to let the community make decisions through in game options and just let people play how THEY want to play. There is absolutely no reason why you can’t just let the gamers make their own controller map. It has existed for years on the PC. The guys at gearbox have allowed it in Borderlands 2 and (shock horror) their office hasn’t exploded, the seas haven’t boiled and contrary to what people may make of the existence of Simon Cow-Bell, the apocalypse is not upon us.
>
> The bottom line here is if you want to make you game accessible you gotta help with the transition. The controller layout and lack of options to customize is going to affect how many people make that transition because the only good layout on offer is Fishstick… even COD has moved on from that. I have missed Halo multiplayer like crazy since Halo 3 and I want my fix… but I won’t take a step back to get it. Yes, you’ll sell more copies than any game ever before like reach and Halo 4 will die just as quick if you don’t deliver a good experience. I’m not just talking about controller maps either. The board is already peppered with unhappy community members asking where is?.. you promised?.. etc.
> **You want people to play Halo? You want people to come back to this great series of titles? Listen, learn and act. The community asks for nothing more.
[/quote]
>
> Lol wut? Have you been living under a rock? They promised, and they delivered. Yes there may be aspects of the game you dislike, but please don’t act like YOU know what the community wants. You speak for YOURSELF, nobody else.

This.

You created an account to -Yoink- lol. Sorry troll but the halo 4 forums have finally banded together against the haters :wink: maybe when halo 5 comes out you can try again.

It bothers me that a 32 year old is complaining about something so minor. Your reason is not good enough. Just because every other game does it… Start acting like a 32 and not a whiney teenagers.

I actually like the controls, why would they have to go CoD style?

-Yoink-, Halo is awesome, and if you truly played all the Halos like you said, then it shouldn’t be difficult to go back. (I’ve been playing BF3 since release, and CoD since MW2 came out (Played Halo 2 - Halo 3 before MW2) I recently started playing Halo 3 again (today to be exact) and I was used to it right away…

> This.

Reading the forums, watching reviews, reading reviews, on waypoint… same as everybody else!

Imagine having non-toggle scope in Halo.

Sigh

We’d have to spam the left trigger in a firefight. Whenever we get hit.

And yes, you do have the Cod style layout. Fishsticks.

> Reading the forums, watching reviews, reading reviews, on waypoint… same as everybody else!

Actually, no

I am quite fine with Bumper Jumper layout.

> I am quite fine with Bumper Jumper layout.

What is that?

> I am quite fine with Bumper Jumper layout.

Bumper Jumper has always been my favorite layout, but you can’t use the Jetpack with it at all.

> > I am quite fine with Bumper Jumper layout.
>
> What is that?

The amazing button layout that has been in halo since halo 3 and Reach =)

You can jump, turn, crouch, and shoot all at the same time with precision accuracy.

Why is anybody who disagrees with something classed as a ‘hater’. I’m as excited to see Halo back as anybody else. Statements are generally not positive or negative. It depends on how people react to them which determines the outcome. Most people can read my admittedly rather lengthy text and think either, “damn he feels strongly about that. Wouldn’t hurt to action it and give people another choice” or “he’s attacking the thing I love, how dare he. He MUST be labelled a hater!”