Old School is Back!

After a long break from Reach, I was over-joyed to see the Classic match type on the search list. Finally, someone at the top put two and two together and realized that there is a reason that there were so many remakes of classic maps on the file share. I think this is the best thing that could of happened to Reach. For too long I had felt that I was playing a game that was trying to be like Call of Duty that had bizzare broken concepts of equipment and weak map selection. Now it’s like stepping back through time to the days of Halo LAN parties. I hope they continue to add more game types like CTF and Assault. It would also be great to see a Classic Free for All one day. Keep making good decisions. Thank you.

That classic playlist doesn’t feel like classic Halo to me. For one, the bloom and the OP nades… oh gawd… the nade spam. If you want a classic Halo experience just play Halo 3, because the classic playlist just offers an experience that doesn’t quite feel right. The maps leave something to be desired for too.

Old School is back when they bring halo 2 back online! haha
That was the game! Everything was perfect Maps gameplay ranks!

lol, CE is tooooo old but Halo2 is old enough… o_O

Classic was fun at first. I think the issues with bloom are exacerbated in this play list though. It’s just annoying rifle spam.

> Old School is back when they bring halo 2 back online! haha
> That was the game! Everything was perfect Maps gameplay ranks!

Too much auto aim to call it perfect. It was Halo with training wheels.

Those are all valid points but after the first Halo I feel they just got further and further away from the point of the fast paced arcade shooter expierence. They killed the pistol in 2 which made the game about power weapons because the damage for any spawn weapon in the playlist was minimal at best. If you couldn’t find a battle rifle, sniper or rockets you were left running around the map with the SMG or AR. Then came the mistake of dual wielding. That’s gone now thankfully. Then 3 added the elements of the bubble shield and other odd equipment items that were edited out of most ranked playlists. In the end, if they re-made Halo and added an online component for multiplayer I would never touch Reach again.

> That classic playlist doesn’t feel like classic Halo to me. For one, the bloom and the OP nades… oh gawd… the nade spam. If you want a classic Halo experience just play Halo 3, because the classic playlist just offers an experience that doesn’t quite feel right. The maps leave something to be desired for too.

I think it feels very classic. The nades are just as powerful as they were in CE, and then you could hold four of them. And if the bloom bothers you, switch to the needle rifle. The NR feels a lot more classic than the DMR as far as gameplay goes. And the maps are pretty much flawless remakes. All of the maps in the classic playlist are better remakes than bungie ever did for Halo 3 and Reach.

And Halo 3 does not feel like a classic Halo. It’s better than default Reach settings/maps, but it still doesn’t feel classic.

> > That classic playlist doesn’t feel like classic Halo to me. For one, the bloom and the OP nades… oh gawd… the nade spam. If you want a classic Halo experience just play Halo 3, because the classic playlist just offers an experience that doesn’t quite feel right. The maps leave something to be desired for too.
>
> I think it feels very classic. The nades are just as powerful as they were in CE, and then you could hold four of them. And if the bloom bothers you, switch to the needle rifle. The NR feels a lot more classic than the DMR as far as gameplay goes. And the maps are pretty much flawless remakes. All of the maps in the classic playlist are better remakes than bungie ever did for Halo 3 and Reach.
>
> And Halo 3 does not feel like a classic Halo. It’s better than default Reach settings/maps, but it still doesn’t feel classic.

TRUE

> > > That classic playlist doesn’t feel like classic Halo to me. For one, the bloom and the OP nades… oh gawd… the nade spam. If you want a classic Halo experience just play Halo 3, because the classic playlist just offers an experience that doesn’t quite feel right. The maps leave something to be desired for too.
> >
> > I think it feels very classic. The nades are just as powerful as they were in CE, and then you could hold four of them. And if the bloom bothers you, switch to the needle rifle. The NR feels a lot more classic than the DMR as far as gameplay goes. And the maps are pretty much flawless remakes. All of the maps in the classic playlist are better remakes than bungie ever did for Halo 3 and Reach.
> >
> > And Halo 3 does not feel like a classic Halo. It’s better than default Reach settings/maps, but it still doesn’t feel classic.
>
> TRUE

Agreed. NR dominates DMR in Classic playlist with it’s tighter bloom and the damage buff.

> > That classic playlist doesn’t feel like classic Halo to me. For one, the bloom and the OP nades… oh gawd… the nade spam. If you want a classic Halo experience just play Halo 3, because the classic playlist just offers an experience that doesn’t quite feel right. The maps leave something to be desired for too.
>
> I think it feels very classic. The nades are just as powerful as they were in CE, and then you could hold four of them. And if the bloom bothers you, switch to the needle rifle. The NR feels a lot more classic than the DMR as far as gameplay goes. And the maps are pretty much flawless remakes. All of the maps in the classic playlist are better remakes than bungie ever did for Halo 3 and Reach.
>
> And Halo 3 does not feel like a classic Halo. It’s better than default Reach settings/maps, but it still doesn’t feel classic.

Halo 3 feels a lot closer to classic Halo than what’s in that god-awful playlist.

The nades might be just as powerful as CE’s, but they have a huge–Yoink- blast radius and smaller fusses compared to Halo CE, making them OP. Bloom, you can’t just say, “use the NR!” Bloom doesn’t belong in “classic Halo”. It doesn’t belong in Halo, period. The majority of the maps are awful too and if you think they’re flawless you have a very foggy memory. Why bother playing something that imitates something else poorly? The playlist is just a horrible mess, but if you like it that’s fine.

I agree with you 100 percent. Bloom is something from COD that should have stayed there yet the underlying problem goes all the way back to the death of the original pistol. Now all weapons are under powered garbage. The scenario used to play out as such you would spawn with pistol, run around the map until you either found another weapon or just popped someone three times in the head as fast as you could pull the trigger. Yes every weapon was over powered, yes some aspects were “unbalanced” ,yes the game play was chaotic and fast paced but that is what made the series so popular in the LAN party format. To refer to my original point the more they change it the farther away they get from parts of the game that distinguished it from all of the others. Now that it’s in new hands hopefully I won’t just pick up a cookie cutter copy of COD game play ideas for the next Halo sequel. To step back for a minute, I do not have anything against the COD series I have played the most recent titles and simply prefer arcade style to “realism”.

No one thing ever made Halo popular. It is a living thing. You can say Halo as a whole is defined in the same way a person is defined by their childhood. As in, it’s a part of their being, but it doesn’t define them.

The idea of Halo was to evolve combat. That’s not something that will stop until the limits are reached. Only now have we reached the near boundaries of the Xbox with Crysis2 and Halo: Reach… Only now will the evolution slow. But come next-gen, the evolution will kick into high-gear until their limits are reached. And once again, slow.
Learn to love gaming, don’t fight the nature of the beasts.

Annoys me when people whine about armor lock and bloom just because they die by it all the time. I have never ever made an armor lock or bloom rant thread, you know why? because i dont spam my weapon, because i dont run at someone that is armor locking, and if i do oh well he killed me. Classic is awsome and everything the maps dont play the same but thats ok, because i like the way it hurts.