Oh.. no... "and accept commands from him"

“Blue Team steps up to interact with Chief, appear in cutscenes, and accept commands from him in single-player”
This is an excerpt from the Gameinformer’s new July issue. I’m really hoping it isn’t going to be like the Ghost Recon crap, where you click the D pad and it says to ‘go here’, or ‘attack this’, or ‘defend here’… I’m not really interested in that happening.

What is your take on it?

I think it’ll be just like that, but more fast paced. Personally I’ve always wanted squad commands in Halo. I’m really excited they are trying new things in Halo 5.

Meh. They have to be present for story reasons, and I’d rather have that than no control at all. Who knows, it might even be done well.

its going to be more fast paced then that ive read it already

You don’t have to use them…

I just hope it’s not like Assassin’s Creed where the feature quickly turns into a “kill EVERYTHING button.” Also, I haven’t played any of the recent Assassin’s Creeds, so they may have toned it down.

I’ll just say this:

When it came to AI allies in all the halo games, and I mean ALL OF THEM.

They were practically as dumb as a sack of rocks.

No matter who we are looking at here even the “immortal” ones like Arbiter, ODSTs (in Halo 3 ODST) Noble Team, etc.

If they were immortal, they would just fall and be down until the local encounter was cleared.

But for the rest, the ones who you could swap weapons with, they were really never good for anything besides just giving rockets or snipers.

Leaving them to drive was a big mistake.

Other times they got in your way and would block your shots.

And you honestly want to have this persist?

Really?

I’d rather you could be creative with this stuff if you play alone. I mean you don’t have to issue orders, you can let blue team run amuck.

But having the choice of setups like where you can have linda snipe can let you have the freedom to make parts of a campaign easier or harder, thats just halo being still halo, giving you freedom.

Even then there should be setups where John and Locke are alone.

All I can say is:

The option to command AI friendles is better than suffering crazy uncontrollable ones running into the path of your rockets.

Hell ONI could have just said with the hunt the truth story, that the people “john shot” just happened to run into his way of fire…

I would say “Go ahead and let the AI be as useless as it ever has been if you wish to not use advantages where given.”
There were 2 things Halo always needed:

1. The ability to influence AI position/targeting.
  2. More friendly AI drops dependent on player actions, like CE’s Truth & Reconciliation.
    It’s not about a kill everything button, it’s about being in a battle. The “best” moments in Halo usually involved lots of AI banter with my shooting. It doesn’t occur too often on Legendary as the AI throws itself into fire all too regularly.
    And it’s not like Ghost Recon, it’s like Republic Commando :wink:

Good point, I mean you don’t have to use the D-PAD except maybe in the first mission when they try to teach you stuff and if you don’t like it you can just not use it. Also, I hope they don’t make the friendly AI’s too good because then whenever you’re in a trap you just send them out to do the dirty work.

Probably like bf4, but more advanced with better AI and options.

Now if dices Battlefront is complete -Yoink-, which it likely will be, I can get that tactical gameplay in campaign. I’m happy, imagine giving fred a rocket, linda the sniper, and kelly the wheel as you solo in a ghost. This level of control was mot possible before, and is a vast improvement. Now I can tell linda to deal with fuel rods so I don’t have to, seriously, -Yoink- fuel rod grunts.

> 2533274938678576;1:
> “Blue Team steps up to interact with Chief, appear in cutscenes, and accept commands from him in single-player”
> This is an excerpt from the Gameinformer’s new July issue. I’m really hoping it isn’t going to be like the Ghost Recon crap, where you click the D pad and it says to ‘go here’, or ‘attack this’, or ‘defend here’… I’m not really interested in that happening.
> What is your take on it?

Probably be more akin to Starwars: Republic Commando, considering they have the designer from the game working at 343 Industries.

> 2533274803493024;6:
> I just hope it’s not like Assassin’s Creed where the feature quickly turns into a “kill EVERYTHING button.” Also, I haven’t played any of the recent Assassin’s Creeds, so they may have toned it down.

Lol they dont even have them in the game anymore

Since there seems to be new revival system(which I have wished for a long time) they can make AIs more deadly without making them too effective. Like in Gears of war. If AI’s get too much enemy fire they “die” and you have to go there to revive them.

Doesn’t mean they can drive though…

-belch ruined post, nvm

It’ll probably be like Star Wars Republic Commando. Click down on the d-pad to get them to form up, left to cancel all orders, right to defend a position, and up to seek anything that hurts the player. I wouldn’t be opposed to something like that, but I really don’t think something like Ghost Recon would fit. I’m open to seeing it though, I’ve been proved wrong before.

Are you kidding me? This is awesome. Ive always wanted to give marines etc orders when they team up with me, and now with blue team in the game its a must.

I’m looking forward to it. I like games that give you the ability to command squad members, be it simple like Gears 3 or complex like Operation Flashpoint.

I’m indecided.
If done right it will be amazing.

At least we can be revived. Yay no more “Revert to Checkpoint” after you die. Now you have AI’s to revive you and vice versa. God, if any of Kelly or Linda’s AI is like Kat’s…God help us all