OG Power ups and Staying Original

In Infinite, I hope they bring back the original design and sound of the power ups from Halo 3. In Halo 5, I was disappointed with the new power ups, thrusters, and weapons it didn’t feel like the original halo I played. It just came out wrong and is probably the reason why it’s not a big hit like it was back in 2007, since now everyone plays Battle Royale mods and other games like that. Anyway as a halo fan who have been playing halo for a long time I hope everything stays original and doesn’t turn into something else that resembles Battle Royale.

Considering the art style slightly being slightly reminiscent to Bungie’s, I don’t think you have much to worry about in terms of designs. Halo has always been original with its content. 343 Industries just has a much bolder approach to introducing newer cotent which I personally commend them for.

By “power ups” are you referring to H5’s Spartan Abilities and H3’s Equipment? If so, I completely agree that I want to see the equipment system from H3 return.

> 2535435902217648;3:
> By “power ups” are you referring to H5’s Spartan Abilities and H3’s Equipment? If so, I completely agree that I want to see the equipment system from H3 return.

Halo 3’s equipment.

> 2535430248489922;4:
> > 2535435902217648;3:
> > By “power ups” are you referring to H5’s Spartan Abilities and H3’s Equipment? If so, I completely agree that I want to see the equipment system from H3 return.
>
> Halo 3’s equipment.

Are you talking about bringing back things like the bubble shield, power drain ball, flash, etc.? I didn’t have a strong opinion about those (good or bad) when they were introduced in H3. I appreciate that they added some new variety to the mix in MP combat, but can’t say I would be particularly stoked if those came back in Infinite. Wouldn’t be upset by that kind of addition either. Bottom-line: it wasn’t a game changer addition for me back in H3 and the same applies now with Infinite.

As someone who grew up playing CE through H3 for endless hours, I like the idea of a return to older Halo fundamentals. That being said, I think there are a few things in H4 and H5 that should have a place in Infinite. I actually think the thruster is a great addition to the game. It can enhance the player’s mobility in situations where they need it most. Being able to quickly thrust back behind a turned corner does not ruin Halo gameplay for me. if anything, I think it makes player movement feel a lot more limber and flexible with what I can do (I love you CE and H2 but often times movement just felt so disconnected from reality). On a related note, I think H4 style sprint (limited bursts and not infinite) deserve a place in the game. The only thing I would completely scrap is the clamber feature. That one for me really ruins a critical component to competitive MP (landing skilled jumps quickly) since you basically just need to reach a ledge for the character to make a jump.

This far along in the development process I would have to say that I am generally excited… I have been thinking about Halo dynamics and understand now through feedback the general principles behind the gameplay: it is really a big question of pace of play… The mechanics are designed to determine the overall speed…

I think the ultimate goal is to make it fast but not so fast that you can’t think and play smart instead of zone in…

I think that is the driving force behind the desire to return to the old game play of which I am a veteran since ce.

When reach came out on MCC I enjoyed the increased impact of grenades as compared to H5 where a well timed grenade can get you a double… In H5 the thrusting makes grenades different and definitely less powerful.

I would like to see all the elements have a purpose… A usefulness like H2. I remember duel wielding smgs and feathering/alternating smgs to be truly effective. The little things like that are not in H5 and truthfully would be pretty tough to implement bc the pace is just that fast.

My thoughts as a veteran of H5 is that the game really was not as successful as it could be because it really is about who can have a pure shot with the improved mechanics. Don’t get me wrong… Reach was definitely about the best shot… Especially with the timing of recoil…

I know that I don’t have the perfect halo figured out but I would love to think about it once I see infinite…

> 2535411529096152;6:
> This far along in the development process I would have to say that I am generally excited…

Didn’t you say just a while ago you were done with Halo?

On-topic, these years I don’t know if anything can really qualify as being “original” anymore while also meeting this obscure requirement of also “Being Halo” since it ends up winding down to a cycle where a feature gets suggested and it’s shot down because it’s already in some other FPS and thus isn’t ‘original’ or ‘innovating’ or if it IS original i gets shot down for being “Not Halo”. I don’t count Theater and Forge as being innovations here, since neither are gameplay mechanics - and Halo 3 wasn’t the first FPS to feature level editors either (Maybe on a console, but not in general)

So I don’t think people really want ‘innovation’ or progress here, but just a reversion back to Halo 2/3 but with better graphics. Which is fine by me honestly, they’re both great games, but I wouldn’t mind if they retained some of the current things like the thrusters either. Honestly the only things I hope DON’T get brought back are Dual Wielding, Armor Lock, and Spartan Charge. Anything else they decide to keep or remove I’m fine with.