Offline Forge world...

Just curious what you guys think about it.

I think it’d be a neat option, but any heavy users would have to do a lot of file syncing. Still, I’d love an offline slot to be able to play around with the toolkit

Hasn’t Forge always worked offline?

> 2607664605677189;3:
> Hasn’t Forge always worked offline?

No. I don’t think Halo 5 forge was offline. I read it was online only but didn’t look into it as I have no interest in forge. I do remember threads complaining about it when it launched though. I might be wrong but I think the only offline segment of Halo 5 was the campaign.

> 2592250499819446;4:
> > 2607664605677189;3:
> > Hasn’t Forge always worked offline?
>
> No. I don’t think Halo 5 forge was offline. I read it was online only but didn’t look into it as I have no interest in forge. I do remember threads complaining about it when it launched though. I might be wrong but I think the only offline segment of Halo 5 was the campaign.

Wow I didn’t realise that, strange decision there.

> 2607664605677189;5:
> > 2592250499819446;4:
> > > 2607664605677189;3:
> > > Hasn’t Forge always worked offline?
> >
> > No. I don’t think Halo 5 forge was offline. I read it was online only but didn’t look into it as I have no interest in forge. I do remember threads complaining about it when it launched though. I might be wrong but I think the only offline segment of Halo 5 was the campaign.
>
> Wow I didn’t realise that, strange decision there.

Not really. Forge is part of the multiplayer suite, it makes sense to have it online imo. But, I respect others feel differently, perhaps the next forge will have the offline option. I wouldn’t bet on it though.

> 2592250499819446;6:
> > 2607664605677189;5:
> > > 2592250499819446;4:
> > > > 2607664605677189;3:
> > > > Hasn’t Forge always worked offline?
> > >
> > > No. I don’t think Halo 5 forge was offline. I read it was online only but didn’t look into it as I have no interest in forge. I do remember threads complaining about it when it launched though. I might be wrong but I think the only offline segment of Halo 5 was the campaign.
> >
> > Wow I didn’t realise that, strange decision there.
>
> Not really. Forge is part of the multiplayer suite, it makes sense to have it online imo. But, I respect others feel differently, perhaps the next forge will have the offline option. I wouldn’t bet on it though.

To play with other people sure but I would have thought the vast majority of Forge maps are put together by a solo player who doesn’t need to be online. I’m not that surprised though, modern Xbox games have strange always-online rules nowadays.

> 2607664605677189;7:
> > 2592250499819446;6:
> > > 2607664605677189;5:
> > > > 2592250499819446;4:
> > > > > 2607664605677189;3:
> > > > > Hasn’t Forge always worked offline?
> > > >
> > > > No. I don’t think Halo 5 forge was offline. I read it was online only but didn’t look into it as I have no interest in forge. I do remember threads complaining about it when it launched though. I might be wrong but I think the only offline segment of Halo 5 was the campaign.
> > >
> > > Wow I didn’t realise that, strange decision there.
> >
> > Not really. Forge is part of the multiplayer suite, it makes sense to have it online imo. But, I respect others feel differently, perhaps the next forge will have the offline option. I wouldn’t bet on it though.
>
> To play with other people sure but I would have thought the vast majority of Forge maps are put together by a solo player who doesn’t need to be online. I’m not that surprised though, modern Xbox games have strange always-online rules nowadays.

But you need to upload the maps anyway, surely it’s less taxing on your internet to build the map online, uploading maps could be a major issue for many. I think you’re right about nowadays, you cannot buy the Series X and S and simply play. It NEEDS an online connection to set it up. Games will go the same way too. Not all, but a majority imo.

Hopefully the Halo Infinite forge can be used offline for the players who want it.

Given MCC’s inclusion of mod support / offline content, I am hoping that Halo Infinite also has something similar which would at a baseline include the ability to forge / play custom games offline.

Of course, online isn’t the only way to enjoy multiplayer – Halo Infinite will also support splitscreen on Xbox and LAN play via a PC local server.

It sounds to me that for Infinite they’re going the Halo 5 route where everything is hosted online on dedicated servers. If you want LAN support you’ll have to run your own “local server” on a separate computer just like with Halo 5. Halo 5’s local server only let you play custom games- no campaign or forge. Personally, this was one of the things I really hated about Halo 5. I prefer to forge offline and I think LAN support should be baked directly into the game and not require separate software. In Halo 5 if you forged for too long you would get kicked out and sometimes for me forge was really laggy with a several second delay between you spawning an object and it appearing.

> 2535423701256812;2:
> I think it’d be a neat option, but any heavy users would have to do a lot of file syncing. Still, I’d love an offline slot to be able to play around with the toolkit

I was basing it off of Halo Reach on how it is set up. It was fun linking systems with my friends.

> 2533274933337405;11:
> > 2535423701256812;2:
> > I think it’d be a neat option, but any heavy users would have to do a lot of file syncing. Still, I’d love an offline slot to be able to play around with the toolkit
>
> I was basing it off of Halo Reach on how it is set up. It was fun linking systems with my friends.

Ah, got it— yeah that definitely sounds good