Odd radio silence?

Does anyone else think it’s really odd that there’s been no news at all about halo infinite? It’s so strange, the game has been in development for a long time (potentially 5 years?), the game is also scheduled to be released this year, yet there has been no demos, sneak-peaks, screenshots of any kind, no hype building or any kind of discussion of what the game might be.

I can’t recall a game before being so radio silent prior to release. What are your thoughts?

Well we already have a few threads on this topic as it is but for the sake of remaining on topic I’ll say I don’t find it all that odd really. It’s still half a year or more away, and given the current situation around…

They’ll have stuff to say when they’re ready. I’d imagine they’d have at least a little something to share at MS’s digital event, but if not then something not long after.

I wouldn’t say early April is just prior to release either, even if we are closer to it now than we were a year ago. Come September and there’s still nothing said about the game though, then I’d agree it’d be very odd.

I really should pull a TFS Frieza here and start counting the duplicate treads! :see_no_evil:

Here, the >>LINK with the most recent one I could find! :wink: There are already two pages of opinions and analysis you can read through. Some points are quite interesting imho!

I imagine they’re going for a short but intense marketing campaign. Kind of like Bethesda did with Fallout 4.

Halo 5 started too early, and it got to the point where the marketing campaign didn’t reflect the Campaign’s story, with Hunt the Truth and the trailers saying the whole game was going to be about Chief going off the rails, and that we had to get him back. But then in the Campaign, he just says “Negative, Infinity.” Wow. Very dramatic.

It’s better to wait than receive information early that will become outdated.

> 2535419441797248;4:
> I imagine they’re going for a short but intense marketing campaign. Kind of like Bethesda did with Fallout 4.
>
> Halo 5 started too early, and it got to the point where the marketing campaign didn’t reflect the Campaign’s story, with Hunt the Truth and the trailers saying the whole game was going to be about Chief going off the rails, and that we had to get him back. But then in the Campaign, he just says “Negative, Infinity.” Wow. Very dramatic.
>
> It’s better to wait than receive information early that will become outdated.

Is that actually what happened with the campaign or was it the marketing team trying to use a hook to get people interested. It really was deceptively misleading, games companies appear to be immune to this kind of consumer misinformation

Some of the “radio silence” I believe is due to the negative reception that the Halo 5 marketing campaign received. The community felt mislead about what the campaign would actually entail. There were articles written by well-known gaming journalists/websites either implying, or explicitly stating, that the marketing had lied to the community. But you can’t mislead people if you say nothing at all!

Additionally, these huge stretches of time without a hint of Infinite are unique because no previous Halo game has had this long of a development cycle. Infinite was officially unveiled in June 2018 and even before that, there were rumors that 343 was working on something new. Every previous Halo game would have already been released by this point in time. So the community has been actively discussing “the next Halo game” for like 3+ years (after Halo 5 started cooling off) and all we’ve really seen in that period is the opening trailer. And all that trailer told us is that there’s a new pilot character.

So it’s a combination of a much longer development cycle and 343 being VERY cautious about Infinite’s marketing and public exposure because they know that Infinite is arguably the most important game in the history of the Xbox brand.

We should just remain calm. This isn’t the first thread to voice such a concern and it probably won’t be the last. There’s a myriad of possibilities on why they haven’t shown a lot yet. For starters, as some have already mentioned on this thread, people were kind of burned by Halo 5’s extensive marketing campaign, and knowing this community we’d probably be super skeptical of what we got anyway. It could also be that since it’s a console seller type game, Microsoft is kind of directing them to announce during the official premiere of the Series X. Or maybe 343 has things they can reveal right now and they’re purposefully holding their cards close to their chest?

And yes, it could even be possible that there’s development troubles (apart from COVID) but I don’t think you should spend your time worrying to much about it. They’ve had a lot of time and money and I have faith that they’ll be able to pull through. They are no more likely to have troubled development than any other AAA studio (possibly less, given their resources).

The point is that we should just wait around for June, see what they have, and if they don’t have anything or not a lot (which is very unlikely) then we can start to get concerned.

> 2586218893182442;5:
> > 2535419441797248;4:
> > I imagine they’re going for a short but intense marketing campaign. Kind of like Bethesda did with Fallout 4.
> >
> > Halo 5 started too early, and it got to the point where the marketing campaign didn’t reflect the Campaign’s story, with Hunt the Truth and the trailers saying the whole game was going to be about Chief going off the rails, and that we had to get him back. But then in the Campaign, he just says “Negative, Infinity.” Wow. Very dramatic.
> >
> > It’s better to wait than receive information early that will become outdated.
>
> Is that actually what happened with the campaign or was it the marketing team trying to use a hook to get people interested. It really was deceptively misleading, games companies appear to be immune to this kind of consumer misinformation

Yes, I believe so. The marketing boarders on false advertising, and that certainly wouldn’t be done intentionally. Far too risky.

A theory I heard yesterday on a podcast, which also made sense to me, was that Microsoft will couple the debut of Halo Infinite (and the other likely launch titles like Forza 8) with the announcement of the Series X (and rumored Series S) pricing.

We know the Series X is insanely powerful, but most of your more casual users, who frankly don’t care as much about technical specs, still need to be convinced that the Series X is a worthwhile investment because of the actual GAMES.

A perfect way to do that would be a “check out all these -Yoink!- games you can play on the Series X” presentation and then end with a BOOM, here’s the console price.

It would be some great marketing.

I think it indicates that they will have some big reveals rather close to the launch to fuel the hypetrain during optimal moment for marketing.

Hopefully at least.

I am hoping (though it’s probably wishful thinking) all of this (radio silence, 5-year wait, new generation) is a sign we will receive a complete and finished Halo game and no “games as a service” nonsense we have been getting with all Xbox exclusives this generation. Maybe this is the one similarity we will see with H:I and DOOM Eternal, a solid product ready to go on day 1.

> 2533274824050480;11:
> I am hoping (though it’s probably wishful thinking) all of this (radio silence, 5-year wait, new generation) is a sign we will receive a complete and finished Halo game and no “games as a service” nonsense we have been getting with all Xbox exclusives this generation. Maybe this is the one similarity we will see with H:I and DOOM Eternal, a solid product ready to go on day 1.

One thing I’m fairly confident on is the game will be good. I think it’s obvious it’s been delayed due to the new console but this will have given it a unique scenario where the game will get an unusual amount of money and dev time. More development time almost always leads to a better product.

I’m still not 100% convinced that there will be no delay in either hardware and/or Infinite.

Imagine what would happen if one of the two can release their console on time when the other has to delay. I think both companies are hoping that someone will make the first step to a “peace” offering that states something like “might not make it to 2020 holiday season”.

If this wasn’t how MS does things in general now, yes I would think it’s weird. However with their current way of being very hush hush about showing off projects until within the year of release I don’t think it’s weird. I think it’s going to stay very quiet until their digital E3 and then we’ll get a steady stream of info leading up to release, same as what they did with Gears 5.