Note to CA/343

Quick note to developers - When making an RTS game for PC, make the shift keys available for deselecting units, it’s actually absurd that you would not implement this. Whoever is in charge of the core mechanics of this game is either not being heard or has no idea, as there are so many things like this in the game which makes me face palm.

OMG THANK YOU!!! I’m so glad that somebody else is pointing this out! Shift+click to queue commands or selecting multiple units has been a staple of the genre for over two decades. Not having in Halo Wars 2 is absurd.

Honestly, the PC port of this game is terrible. The controls are bad, clicking on the mini map doesn’t work half of the time, and the UI was not even slightly adapted to PC use. It’s clear that the game is only on PC because it needs to be, due to Microsoft pushing the Play Everywhere incentive.

To be fair, it is console in mind first so.

…yes it does?

With the beta down I can’t test it to be 100% sure, but I don’t recall any issues with that. And I know for a fact Halo Wars Definitive Edition, which has mostly the same hotkeys, allows it.

There have been threads/comments on this forum since the beta for at least a half-dozen control features that are actually in the game. Queued movement(hey look, another one above!), control groups, cycling sub-units, local units, zoom control, mini-map movement, camera location hotkeys, etc. Blitz controlled fine IMO aside from a few bugs like the mini-map not always working that will surely be fixed.

That said, as far as I can tell from video and the hotkey configuration screen the actual real base-building modes will be pretty clunky relative to PC focused RTS. The same radial based UI taking up most of the screen is ported over rather than overhauling it to something more PC suited, and the production hotkeys that exist are based on that rather than building/unit specific.

I haven’t yet tried HW2 on PC, but if they are anything like the DE on PC, they’ll be garbage. Ported, simplified controls from console to PC.

Halo Wars can’t control identically from console to PC, and yet with the DE that’s exactly what they did.

RTS gameplay and controls simplified for console => same controls shoehorned into the PC port. It works, but not well, and does nothing to entice hardcore PC RTS players.

If Halo Wars 2 on PC doesn’t have legitimate PC RTS controls, it’s going to struggle to gain and keep a following.

> 2621068175993405;4:
> …yes it does?
>
> With the beta down I can’t test it to be 100% sure, but I don’t recall any issues with that. And I know for a fact Halo Wars Definitive Edition, which has mostly the same hotkeys, allows it.
>
> There have been threads/comments on this forum since the beta for at least a half-dozen control features that are actually in the game. Queued movement(hey look, another one above!), control groups, cycling sub-units, local units, zoom control, mini-map movement, camera location hotkeys, etc. Blitz controlled fine IMO aside from a few bugs like the mini-map not always working that will surely be fixed.
>
> That said, as far as I can tell from video and the hotkey configuration screen the actual real base-building modes will be pretty clunky relative to PC focused RTS. The same radial based UI taking up most of the screen is ported over rather than overhauling it to something more PC suited, and the production hotkeys that exist are based on that rather than building/unit specific.

Unless you found some secret setting, it wasn’t available for me or my friend.

It took 30 seconds of looking at one of my recorded games to very clearly see using a box select to add additional units to an existing selection, so I know at least that much works 100%. Given that and knowing shift+clicks both add and remove from selections in the much shoddier HW:DE port, find it hard to believe they aren’t in HW2 and I also didn’t notice. Guess we’ll see in a week if I’m wrong.

I’ll say one thing that should be there and isn’t is the ability to click on the unit icons along the bottom of the screen to select just that group, or shift click the icon to remove all of a unit type. My main actual use of shift removing units from selection in Starcraft 2 was with the icons which was used all the time to separate out some workers, though that had each unit individually listed out which is a lot more versatile.

Use control + click to deselect any unit.