Not enough storage space to update, can't play...

I installed the MCC a while back (when MCC was smaller and I had more space on my C: drive) and all was good. From within the game menus, I customized my install, removing a lot of the campaigns (I’ve played them in the past, I was just interested in doing multiplayer). However, over time the amount of free C: drive space on my computer has decreased due to general usage, and at the same time, the size of an MCC install has grown.

I just tried launching MCC a few days ago and upon doing so, Game Pass started auto-updating it. Despite my selection of a reduced install, Game Pass is telling me it needs ~177gig of free space to update MCC, which I don’t have on my C: drive, so my update failed. So, I uninstalled thinking I’d install it my D: or E: drive (both formatted NTFS with 4k allocation size) but those installs fail before they even start. I can install other games on D: or E:, but not the MCC. I did some googling, apparently this is common, MCC can only be installed on C: for some reason.

So, I’m completely blocked and can’t play anymore.

When I first installed it, it allowed me to do a “smart install” thing (is that the correct term?) in that it allowed me to launch MCC before it was fully installed. At that point I went in and customized my install, preventing it from installing pieces I wasn’t interested in before they were downloaded. However, I can no longer do that because Game Pass blocks me right of the bat saying I don’t have enough free space on my C: drive.

My questions…

1. Any hope of this “C: drive only” limitation changing at some point?
  2. Any chance Game Pass will allow the installation of individual MCC components like Steam does? Crazy to me that a third party app has more flexible functionality than Game Pass.
  3. Any chance of allowing MCC to launch even if there’s ultimately not enough room for a full install? It’s very frustrating, because the knobs are there in the menu, but I can’t get at them!

Thanks.

Not being able to launch before it’s fully installed is a limitation of the Windows Store I’m afraid, OP. While Xbox has this feature, Windows Store for PC doesn’t have it - I don’t know if it’s on their roadmap, but definitely worth sending some feedback to them about it.

The thing is, I’m 99% sure that when I initially installed MCC on my PC I was able to launch it before it was fully installed. I remember going into the menu and deselecting campaigns that were queued for install (they may have been in the process of installing but were definitely not completed.) The difference at the time was that I had enough free space for a full installation (even though I didn’t do one), so it let me begin installation. Now that I don’t have enough free space, if blocks the install from even starting (I can’t select the drive).

Anyways, thanks for the response, I’ll figure out where to open a support ticket for the Windows store. Even if you could just do a granular selection of install components (like MCC on Steam) I wouldn’t be blocked… It’s the all or nothing nature of the Windows Store install that’s killing me.

Possibly give this a try and report back if it works!

1. Press Windows key + I together to open Settings.
  2. Click on System > Storage.
  3. Click on Change where new content is saved under More storage settings,
  4. Select D drive using the drop down menu under New apps will save to.

You can also try the following:

• Open the Xbox App. - Click your profile icon in the top right and select “Settings”. - Navigate to “General”. - Under “Change where this app installs games by default” choose a different drive. Also make sure you have Offline permissions enabled and uncheck create desktop shortcut on install. - Try to install again from within the Xbox App and not the MS store.

I just tried both of your suggestions, but unfortunately still no luck. There seems to be something about the MCC that is different from other games, for some reason it will only install to your C drive. I’ve googled it and there are many other people in the same situation, if you don’t have enough free space on your C drive you’re out of luck. Really annoying.