Not being able to use the armor coating I paid for on Mark V B cores is anti consumer and kills the point of player expression

The colors I loved using in Halo for a long time was white and blue and when I saw the Bleached Bone coating I was excited! But then I realized it was paid and it wasn’t cheap. So I sucked it up and paid because I really wanted this coating and I thought it’d look amazing with my reach armor what I just unlocked in my battle pass. But no the coating that costs NEARLY 20 USD can’t be used on the armor I want. I thought the whole popint of armor coatings was that it would allow easier and wider customization, but I guess I was wrong. Oh and not being able to mix armor cores is stupid. I can use armor that was not originally made in Halo 3 with and combine it with armor that was originally in the game, If I can do that in MCC then why can’t I use it in Infinite? This murders player expression and I can’t believe MCC did a better job at this.

17 Likes

I’ve never understood this I’ve always thought it was pretty clear that the armor coating system would LIMIT customization not “allow easier and wider customization”

1 Like

I was referencing what 343 themselves mentioned when armor coatings were first revealed. they said it would allow wider customization options.

2 Likes

Exactly. This system takes a bunch of customization options away by locking coatings or armour parts/equipment to specific armour cores. That has to change.

3 Likes

Yea I know sorry if that wasn’t clear I meant that I never understood 343s explanation it just didn’t make any sense I’m also not opposed to an armor coating system but how they did it is just messed up it’d be OK if the different coatings were things like having a camo design or have fresh out the factory armor vs war torn armor but still letting us pick the individual colors but no they decided to give us no choice at all and claimed it somehow made us able to express ourselves better than previous games its just baffling and the core system is bad too mixing and matching stuff was the best part

1 Like

Bots can mix armor cores… so why can’t we?
Also, I totally agree on the coatings part. They are just colors, they should be compatible with everything!

1 Like

Just unlocked a visor color. Works only on mark vii not on mark v b… This is really gettin ridiculous

1 Like

For the first part, “easier” means them, with the context of making new assets.
If armor coats were color customisable, it’d be slightly harder for them to make new coats as each new coat would have to be unique with patterns and material placement.
Now they can easily take an existing coat and change the colors up a little.

“Wider” is PR talk which they use to say that with this system, they can make a wide range of different patterned coats and use any color of the color paluette, as opposed to the limited 50 in Halo 5, or however many colors were in whatever Halo you wish to pick. Then again, we remember that i343 themselves actually added more color options to Halo 5 when they fixed the emblem customization they intentionally messed up.

Atleast that is my interpretation.
Never immediately assume that new things are better, despite them saying so, when they say they’re replacing direct player choice with their new stuff.

How many free base coats are available now?
Does it even cover all the 50 colors we had before?
Think we’ll get more December 8th? Free to use?
Plenty of people defended it back then, talking about hundreds of free coats at release to choose from.

Not allowing players to select their colors already flat out kills the point of player expression.

Yeah, that’s one thing that baffles me. Like, I thought I understood the armor cores system. I thought they’d limit certain “armor” pieces to certain “armor” cores. That made sense to me, as I could understand why they wouldn’t want a Mark V chest piece with Mark VII Yoroi legs (even though Halo 3 in MCC has no issue with doing stuff like that). But coatings and visor colors being locked to Armor cores baffles me.

I honestly don’t get why armour colours and visors need to be specific to your armour type.

343 can’t say that having a white mark VII is fine but a white mark V can’t be done. It seems so incredibly arbitrary.

2 Likes

YES! There is absolutely ZERO good reason (apart from more money for Microsoft) to not allow coatings to be applied across all armor cores. Very shady

2 Likes

Yea buddy how about you player express your wallet into buying an identical copy of that coating for each core you buy.

3 Likes

Lmaooo basically what they’re telling us

Armor coatings should be 100% universal. I grabbed an HCS pack just for the color scheme (as I’m assuming most people do), obey to find out the costing is locked to the kit itself, can’t even use it on other permutations of the core.

Doesn’t just hurt customization but it heavily kills incentive to make premium purchases, which is a huge focus for FTP games like this. I can understand a kit being locked to a core and unchangeable, but armor coatings, and visors should be able to be used across the board. Armor pieces should also have more flexibility, but thats less of an issue than a freakin color.

2 Likes

Because 343 have spent the past year lying about it.

Gitgud 2022 is just stop being poor
Ngl though the prices could easily afford to be sliced in half and they would sell a lot more cosmetics to countries where their money is worth less than ours, or to lower income people in general
I can whale on gacha and loot box games, but if I blow money on a visor and armor coating, I want those at least to be universal, especially when they will be adding new armor cores each season. Really terrible flaw to not make paid skins cross core.

2 Likes

I found this out the hard way this morning: I unlocked a cool visor which would look great on the coating i have for my Mark VII, but it’s only for my Reach Spartan. Ridiculous.
Armor coatings and visor colors should work across armor cores. ARMOR pieces should work across armor cores.

3 Likes

I understand armor not working across cores if they’re using different armor skeletons or something like MCC, but visors and armor coatings have no excuse since they’re just textures. Don’t sell us $15 jpeg skins and say we can’t use that color on other cores

4 Likes