Nostalgia

So Ioften come across threads or posts about things that say “Oh I remember in Halo 2 once I did this to this guy on that certain map” or “Oh we used to do something on this map” or something along those lines. But do you think the same will happen with reach? I don’t tbh. Partly because of the terrible maps, and partly because of the parts of the game that need tweaking (Bloom, jetpack, etc).

What are your thoughts?

> So Ioften come across threads or posts about things that say “Oh I remember in Halo 2 once I did this to this guy on that certain map” or “Oh we used to do something on this map” or something along those lines. But do you think the same will happen with reach? I don’t tbh. Partly because of the terrible maps, and partly because of the parts of the game that need tweaking (Bloom, jetpack, etc).
>
> What are your thoughts?

I know that I won’t have a good mind when I think about Reach but some people will and mostly the new players because they never played the older games.

<3 Halo CE, 2, 3 and ODST. (Halo wars too)

Reach no. i get no positive memories from that game.

> > So Ioften come across threads or posts about things that say “Oh I remember in Halo 2 once I did this to this guy on that certain map” or “Oh we used to do something on this map” or something along those lines. But do you think the same will happen with reach? I don’t tbh. Partly because of the terrible maps, and partly because of the parts of the game that need tweaking (Bloom, jetpack, etc).
> >
> > What are your thoughts?
>
> I know that I won’t have a good mind when I think about Reach but some people will and mostly the new players because they never played the older games.

yeh I agree with you. Halo 3 was my first halo game but I didn’t play it online often. But when I did I still have fond memories. I might go on it in a sec actually. I just wish i’d been able to play Halo 2 during its hay day. I most likely won’t think of reach in the same way. I just hope the title update and new classic maps bring back a good classic feel to reach.

I think there will be even more reason to say things like “oh, do you remember when we did this?” in Halo: Reach, because of render films hehe.

Now those awesome moments aren’t just memories.

I have CE Nostalgia all the time thanks to Reach.

I have ZERO nostalgia for H2 or H3 given how bad those games were after CE.

I’ll never have nostalgia with Reach.

> I have CE Nostalgia all the time thanks to Reach.
>
> I have ZERO nostalgia for H2 or H3 given how bad those games were after CE.

Really? How do you have CE nostalgia?
Also I meant Reach nostalgia in a few years.

> I have CE Nostalgia all the time thanks to Reach.
>
> I have ZERO nostalgia for H2 or H3 given how bad those games were after CE.

I have CE Nostalgia when I play it on PC again but not in Reach. Reach feels so unpolished and not well thought out. But still it’s your opinion. I loved 1,2,3,ODST and Wars. I think that there has to be a black sheep in every franchise, that job does Reach for me.

> > I have CE Nostalgia all the time thanks to Reach.
> >
> > I have ZERO nostalgia for H2 or H3 given how bad those games were after CE.
>
> Really? How do you have CE nostalgia?
> Also I meant Reach nostalgia in a few years.

I get more of a classic feeling while playing Reach than I ever had playing H2 or H3.

It’s the fall damage more than anything else I think, it’s just a mechanic that Halo needs to have.

You ever play a shooter that doesn’t give you the ability to jump?

It’s sooooo basic, yet soooo important to the flow and feel of that shooter.

It’s almost entirely dependent on your age.

For many of us, Halo 1 was our VERY FIRST Xbox game, possibly even first videogame ever. There’s no way to recreate that.

Halo 2 was the first (Not sure if first, but only good game) Xbox Live game on consoles that allowed you to go online and play against other people instead of split screen. Now that was a pretty crazy time. Once again, can’t recreate.

Halo 3 ended one of the biggest trilogies videogame history with a bang. No way to recreate it.

So basically for the older gamers who may have contracted cynicism a bit too soon will probably never play another game they truly love like the older Halo’s. It’s just not possible to recreate the time period (Being a kid with no responsibilities for many of you people) nor the gameplay experience.

Nostalgia rules over all forms of media. It is the king of what drives any sort of media, whether it’s remakes or “remastered” movies and music, or remade videogames.

The only problem I have with the cynics (I really do feel sorry for them) is that they really do believe what they’re saying is fact or has any sort of merit. Sure, you personally may feel like the best games were in the past, but just stop forcing your views on those of us not effected by cynicism just yet (I am that way about music though…).

Eventually everyone starts to believe the past was so much better; viewing it with rose colored glasses and cutting it A LOT of slack in terms of flaws.

> Eventually everyone starts to believe the past was so much better; viewing it with rose colored glasses and cutting it A LOT of slack in terms of flaws.

That quote always speaks volumes, and yet most people don’t seem to realize what it means. In Halo 3, players complained of BR Spread, of melee bleed-through, and of how much the Spiker was for noobs. Yet when those players look back, they see an immaculate game, one that never had any problems, glitches, or imbalances.

Well as for ranks. and cR. Read “A very good solution”

> I think there will be even more reason to say things like “oh, do you remember when we did this?” in Halo: Reach, because of render films hehe.
>
> Now those awesome moments aren’t just memories.

I <3 your clips.

OnT;

Already got a few sweet memories, and there will be more coming! You can get those memorable moments while doing mostly anything really, it’s just about the company you keep while doing it.

> So Ioften come across threads or posts about things that say “Oh I remember in Halo 2 once I did this to this guy on that certain map” or “Oh we used to do something on this map” or something along those lines. But do you think the same will happen with reach? I don’t tbh. Partly because of the terrible maps, and partly because of the parts of the game that need tweaking (Bloom, jetpack, etc).
>
> What are your thoughts?

No. With the current game mechanics in place I don’t think I’ll ever have as much memories in matchmaking as I did in Halo 2 or 3. The maps were horrible and 90% of them are in forge world, bloom was horribly implemented, and to top it off I can’t seem to get rid of armor lock.

The only memories we’ll having are complaining about armor lock and bloom, or creating a massive petition to get rid of armor abilities in Halo 4.

Halo: CE - Dream LAN
Halo 2 - 1# game of all time in my book
Halo 3 - Absolute garbage and taking 1# for being the greatest letdown in video game history
Halo 3: ODST - Ripoff, overpriced
Reach - Waiting unpatiently for TU and bloom getting removed, overall it was a fun game for a few weeks.

By a few posts, I already see Halo Wars is being overshadowed, but honestly, my best moments come from Halo Wars. I enjoy the 3v3 two hour and three hour long battles that go back and forth until someone makes a mistake. Win or loss, I remember all of my long battles on that game. I remember a few from Halo 3 too and a few from Halo 2. I really haven’t had any moments in Halo Reach, and I doubt I will.

I’ll probably miss the Jet-pack in customs if it’s not there in the coming Halos.
Nothing else though.

Nostalgia doesn’t mean a game was good. Most people get nostalgia from older games because they were young back then and had plenty friends to play with. I’m sure the younger generation of Halo fans are getting good memories from playing Halo: Reach.

> Halo: CE - Dream LAN
> Halo 2 - 1# game of all time in my book
> Halo 3 - Absolute garbage and taking 1# for being the greatest letdown in video game history
> Halo 3: ODST - Ripoff, overpriced
> Reach - Waiting unpatiently for TU and bloom getting removed, overall it was a fun game for a few weeks.

Halo isn’t all about MP y’know…