Noobs?

I’m a total noob to Halo Wars, picked up a used copy cheap, and while I enjoyed the game my first playthrough I definitely realize I’m far from good at it yet. Just wondering if I venture into the matchmaking portion of the game am I going to find myself up against nothing but hardcore diehard fans who will use me like a toilet bowl brush and hand me 5 bucks for the bus after a one night stand or are there still newer players just getting into it like me? I’ve only played through on easy 1 time so far so I have a long way to go and I don’t mind losing cuz you can learn even from a loss but it seems the Halo Wars community is pretty hardcore and old school(I mean that with respect).

There is about 1000 to 9000 players online (depending day of the week and time). Usually one finds opponent less than 1 minute. Variety of the skill levels is huge so there is opponents for everyone; from the total beginners to extremely good ones.

The system tries to find opponents with equal TrueSkill level to play with. If the search is fast (less than 30 seconds or so) it is more likely that your opponent has similar TrueSkill as you do. The TrueSkill level is shown for few seconds after the countdown timer is gone.

If you do not mind losing, you may as well practice online instead of skirmish.

You will run into some high-level players, but there are plenty of mid-level players (like myself) and even a fair amount of “noobs”.

Keep playing and do not quit before you are done! Learn from your own mistakes as well as watching your teammates and competitors. If you have a mic, play teams and ask questions. Most players are willing to give you tips or even tell you what to do if you ask them to. Also, try every leader to learn the ins-and-outs of each leader, both to figure out who you like best as well as to learn how to counter them. Once you do figure out which leader you like, though, I would try to stick with them and master them.

Good luck and maybe I’ll see you online!

+1 Good Advice!!!

> You will run into some high-level players, but there are plenty of mid-level players (like myself) and even a fair amount of “noobs”.
>
> Keep playing and do not quit before you are done! Learn from your own mistakes as well as watching your teammates and competitors. If you have a mic, play teams and ask questions. Most players are willing to give you tips or even tell you what to do if you ask them to. Also, try every leader to learn the ins-and-outs of each leader, both to figure out who you like best as well as to learn how to counter them. Once you do figure out which leader you like, though, I would try to stick with them and master them.
>
> Good luck and maybe I’ll see you online!

<mark>http://www.youtube.com/user/bb2010halowars?ob=0</mark>

One weird thing Ive learned it that it matches you by the previus game
If you did horrible it will set you up with noobs if you did good (I learned this the hard way my first time playing) you’ll be matched with some one harder

This keeps the skill gap pretty precise and makes you always have a challenge you deserve.

> One weird thing Ive learned it that it matches you by the previus game
> If you did horrible it will set you up with noobs if you did good (I learned this the hard way my first time playing) you’ll be matched with some one harder
>
> This keeps the skill gap pretty precise and makes you always have a challenge you deserve.

No. Fast searching matches you to a skill level within 5 of your own. Slow searching you get anyone. There is no system in place that knows if you did good last game.

You will probably be matched up with people of a much greater rank than you. To win you must find a balance between building, upgrading, and training.