"Non-constructive Posts"

Can someone please tell me what this means? Can I have a rubric for how posts are judged? I thought this was a forum. I fail to see how on-topic posts can be viewed as “non-constructive”. Pictures of cats are non-constructive. So are posts that say “343, you’re doing great, keep up the good work.” and nothing else.

Please, enlighten me.

Feel free to move this to the proper forum category.

> Can someone please tell me what this means? Can I have a rubric for how posts are judged? I thought this was a forum. I fail to see how on-topic posts can be viewed as “non-constructive”. <mark>Pictures of cats are non-constructive</mark>. <mark>So are posts that say “343, you’re doing great, keep up the good work.” and nothing else</mark>.
>
> Please, enlighten me.
>
> Feel free to move this to the proper forum category.

Well, pics of cats would only go on a cat based thread.

The second sentence I highlighted, is a constructive post.

To answer the question, all these are technically and/or officially “non-constructive” and I have gathered them from here.

Post your comments, opinions and ideas in a constructive and respectful way. Don’t be afraid to jump in and add to a conversation. Introduce yourself. Meet people.

Please do not be rude, insult, berate or comment upon anything personal to do with Admins, Monitors, Superintendents or any other person who happens to post on this forum. Attacks against administrators, moderators and members are not allowed in the public forums or in private messages. If you think someone is wrong, it may be because they are new; don’t jump on them. Please be tactful and be civil.

Do not post or use profanity or any creative form of bypassing the word filters.

Please use your better judgment when posting things. If you have to start your post with “I’m not trying to offend anyone but”, take a second look at the post before deciding if it’s needed to get your point across.

Don’t commit personal attacks or post abusively towards others.

Please do not have a large percentage of your posts that are only negative rants against anything Halo, Xbox, or the forums. This is a form of trolling that only inflames the community and incites more flaming and abusive posts.

Do not flame or troll. Please do not try and provoke anyone into a fight. This includes posting condescending remarks or following people and replying to them to fuel a rivalry or continuing a discussion after it has gone downhill.

Do not engage users who are trolling and instead report it. Remember, if someone else is breaking rules, it does not permit more rule breaking. Defending yourself isn’t an excuse.

Please remember the vast majority of the posters on this forum are not employees or in any way affiliated with 343 Industries, but are in fact unpaid volunteers who donate hours of their time to provide information and assistance out of the goodness of their hearts, and without recompense.

Please do not spam. Spam includes but is not limited to commercial posts, single word responses, petitions, non-English posts, posts containing all-caps, necroposts and bumps (replies purposely made to move the thread to the top of the active thread list).

Do not post comments that are discriminatory in nature. This includes posts that incite discrimination, hate or violence towards one person or a group because of their belonging to a race, a religion or a nation, or that insults the victims of crimes against humanity by contesting the existence of those crimes.

You may not use the forums to trade codes, merchandise, services or any other tradable item.

Do not discuss topics that are not related to Halo or the topic of the forum.

Please do not start a thread in one forum and then cross post in another forum in an effort to increase your chances for a quick reply. If you mistakenly post in the wrong forum, don’t worry, the mods will be more than happy to move your post to the appropriate forum.

Do not continue to use any posting style that is disruptive such as posting in all caps, leetspeak, overused memes, off topic banter/phrases, etc.

You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages on the forums. You assume all responsibility from your posts, even if they are made by your little brother/sister/dog/Frankie.

How is the second sentence constructive? It doesn’t add anything to discuss, it’s an opinion, and it’s not backed by any details.

I can’t see any difference between “343 is helping Halo” and “343 is ruining Halo” but the latter is always banned as non-constructive while the former continues to be read and acknowledged.

> <mark>How is the second sentence constructive? It doesn’t add anything to discuss, it’s an opinion, and it’s not backed by any details.</mark>
>
> I can’t see any difference between “343 is helping Halo” and “343 is ruining Halo” but the latter is always banned as non-constructive while the former continues to be read and acknowledged.

It is a positive note to 343i, which in turn is constructive towards them.

To the second highlighted sentence, the latter is a negative comment and/or blast, which is viewed as said things and not “constructive”. Being constructive is not making a negative statement, instead it is saying things to change what it is you do not like instead of being negative/blasting.

EDIT: Double post

> > <mark>How is the second sentence constructive? It doesn’t add anything to discuss, it’s an opinion, and it’s not backed by any details.</mark>
> >
> > I can’t see any difference between “343 is helping Halo” and “343 is ruining Halo” but the latter is always banned as non-constructive while the former continues to be read and acknowledged.
>
> It is a positive note to 343i, which in turn is constructive towards them.

So for the past two years people have been saying that the mods ban anything that goes against their beliefs, and others constantly assure us that that is not how it works, but you’re saying that it is how it works? Okay, gotcha.

So this isn’t a forum, it’s a wall of thanks and appreciation for 343?

> > > <mark>How is the second sentence constructive? It doesn’t add anything to discuss, it’s an opinion, and it’s not backed by any details.</mark>
> > >
> > > I can’t see any difference between “343 is helping Halo” and “343 is ruining Halo” but the latter is always banned as non-constructive while the former continues to be read and acknowledged.
> >
> > It is a positive note to 343i, which in turn is constructive towards them.
>
> So for the past two years people have been saying that the mods ban anything that goes against their beliefs, and others constantly assure us that that is not how it works, but you’re saying that it is how it works? Okay, gotcha.
>
> <mark>So this isn’t a forum, it’s a wall of thanks and appreciation for 343?</mark>

Your missing the point here, you can criticize, but if it is in a negative and/or blasting way, that’s a no-no. Instead simply state why you disagree and how to change/improve on said thing(s).

> > > <mark>How is the second sentence constructive? It doesn’t add anything to discuss, it’s an opinion, and it’s not backed by any details.</mark>
> > >
> > > I can’t see any difference between “343 is helping Halo” and “343 is ruining Halo” but the latter is always banned as non-constructive while the former continues to be read and acknowledged.
> >
> > It is a positive note to 343i, which in turn is constructive towards them.
>
> So for the past two years people have been saying that the mods ban anything that goes against their beliefs, and others constantly assure us that that is not how it works, but you’re saying that it is how it works? Okay, gotcha.
>
> So this isn’t a forum, it’s a wall of thanks and appreciation for 343?

No, it’s because most 343i hate posts contain no info other than they suck. Those that say H4 is a fail and give reasons as to why, generally have a longer lifespan.

Edited by Moderator - Please do not repost content a moderator has removed, repost a topic that has been locked, or post about forum moderation decisions. If you have a question or concern about a forum moderation decision, please private message the applicable moderator.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

The thing is that the mods have free reign to ban people as they please, as their is no appeal process for the standard users, and I’m sure there is no training for the mods in how to properly judge things, as the mods feel that their personal bias against users means the post is ban worthy.

I’ve literally seen one person ask another user a question, then when the person quoted the question and answered them in an appropriate and non flaming manner, the comment was removed and “Please refrain from making non-constructive posts” was the reason.

It is ridiculous when talking to other users like they’re adults can get people banned, the mods really want you to dumb down everything you say and treat people with kid gloves.

Oh well, TC the only thing we can do if we don’t agree is just leave the forum. Unfortunately this is the best Halo forum I know, but that is due to the helpful users, not due to the mods.

Some things we can change, and others we can’t (Mods who don’t deserve their positions). Nothing you can do but stay and accept, or move on to a different forum.

As Stream of Cream has already copied/pasted from the rules, I’m not going to bother linking to them. If you’d like additional clarification, I suggest you PM forum admin such as Forum Team or bs angel.

That aside, generally speaking if the post is not fostering conversation in a constructive manner, it will likely be seen as nonconstructive. That’s not saying you have to blow rainbows and sunshine up 343’s rear all day every day but that you have to learn to express your concerns and issues in a manner that is not inflammatory nor aggressive.