Noble were Spartan III's?

When is this mentioned? I just found this out looking around the forums. What confuses me is how this is possible. I thought Spartan III’s were started with Ghosts of Onyx and used in that conflict and the rest of them and the II’s are trapped on Onyx. Where did the Spartans in Reach come from and how are they also Spartan III’s considering that program was a secret even from Halsey until she got to Onyx.

Also, there has to be a storyline lapse or something I’m missing. Reach then must have been after Onyx, and how the hell did Halsey escape to get back to Reach? And then where would the Spartans with her be as well and why werent they on Reach too?

Apparently they were. I dont delve into alot of story thats not in the games mainly due to lack of caring. So i dont know about everything your talking about such as Dr Halsey escaping or what Ghosts of Onyx is. But i found it very strange that Spartan III’s are defending Reach where as they still have a Spartan II (MC) in stasis. Just saying even if spartan III’s werent a improvement shouldnt ONI still have had enough faith in their new project to sacrifice the II’s before the the III’s?

> Apparently they were. I dont delve into alot of story thats not in the games mainly due to lack of caring. So i dont know about everything your talking about such as Dr Halsey escaping or what Ghosts of Onyx is. But i found it very strange that Spartan III’s are defending Reach where as they still have a Spartan II (MC) in stasis. Just saying even if spartan III’s werent a improvement shouldnt ONI still have had enough faith in their new project to sacrifice the II’s before the the III’s?

The III’s were never a replacement.

Aslo Jorge is a Spartan II.

In The Fall of Reach, The Pillar of Autumn doesn’t touch the surface (it later says that it cannot handle going into orbit because its built for space only) and Dr Halsey gives Cortana to the Chief herself, but in Halo: Reach, the Autumn is in a dry dock with Cortana being delivered by Spartan-III’s?

Thats what gets me :stuck_out_tongue:

> When is this mentioned?

I think IGN were the first to release this info and pretty much all of Bungie’s promo stuff included it. The booklet with the game also says so. Keep in mind that Jorge is a II, but the rest are IIIs from Alpha and Beta Companies.

> What confuses me is how this is possible. I thought Spartan III’s were started with Ghosts of Onyx

The Spartan III program started in 2531 with Alpha Company. Carter, Emile and Jun are from this group. Beta Company began in 2539 and Kat and 6 were from this group. Basically Kurt kept a small number of recruits from each Company aside before they were sent on suicide missions and formed smaller Firerteams such as Noble. Reach takes place in 2552 so they were around and in active service at this point.

> and used in that conflict and the rest of them and the II’s are trapped on Onyx.

The IIIs that met Blue Team on Onyx and got trapped were from Gamma Company and had only just finished training.

> Where did the Spartans in Reach come from and how are they also Spartan III’s considering that program was a secret even from Halsey until she got to Onyx.

Like I said, they were pulled by Kurt before their Company’s were destroyed. The IIIs were a secret, even from Halsey. When she met them she knew they weren’t her IIs, but she had no idea who they were. This is detailed in her journal. Any other personnel would have just seen Spartans and not known the difference between IIs and IIIs so no questions asked. The details of both classes were still under wraps. She only found out about the details about IIIs when she arrived on Onyx.

> Also, there has to be a storyline lapse or something I’m missing. Reach then must have been after Onyx,

No, Ghost of Onyx the book spans 20 years. Noble Team are in their 20’s at the time of Reach while Gamma Company are newer and only in their teens. Noble Team were in service long before Reach.

> and how the hell did Halsey escape to get back to Reach?

Reach is before GoO.

> And then where would the Spartans with her be as well and why werent they on Reach too?

I’m not sure what you’re asking here.

Anyway, hope this helps clarify Noble Team for you. Any questions feel free to ask.

> When is this mentioned? I just found this out looking around the forums. What confuses me is how this is possible. I thought Spartan III’s were started with Ghosts of Onyx and used in that conflict and the rest of them and the II’s are trapped on Onyx. Where did the Spartans in Reach come from and how are they also Spartan III’s considering that program was a secret even from Halsey until she got to Onyx.
>
> Also, there has to be a storyline lapse or something I’m missing. Reach then must have been after Onyx, and how the hell did Halsey escape to get back to Reach? And then where would the Spartans with her be as well and why werent they on Reach too?

Bottomline, Reach broke canon. Period.

> > When is this mentioned? I just found this out looking around the forums. What confuses me is how this is possible. I thought Spartan III’s were started with Ghosts of Onyx and used in that conflict and the rest of them and the II’s are trapped on Onyx. Where did the Spartans in Reach come from and how are they also Spartan III’s considering that program was a secret even from Halsey until she got to Onyx.
> >
> > Also, there has to be a storyline lapse or something I’m missing. Reach then must have been after Onyx, and how the hell did Halsey escape to get back to Reach? And then where would the Spartans with her be as well and why werent they on Reach too?
>
> Bottomline, Reach broke canon. Period.

That may be true, but Noble being IIIs does not break canon.

> > > When is this mentioned? I just found this out looking around the forums. What confuses me is how this is possible. I thought Spartan III’s were started with Ghosts of Onyx and used in that conflict and the rest of them and the II’s are trapped on Onyx. Where did the Spartans in Reach come from and how are they also Spartan III’s considering that program was a secret even from Halsey until she got to Onyx.
> > >
> > > Also, there has to be a storyline lapse or something I’m missing. Reach then must have been after Onyx, and how the hell did Halsey escape to get back to Reach? And then where would the Spartans with her be as well and why werent they on Reach too?
> >
> > Bottomline, Reach broke canon. Period.
>
> That may be true, but Noble being IIIs does not break canon.

That fact alone is of course correct.

George was a Spartan II - and showed, in comparison to the Spartan IIIs, that the Spartan IIs were more stable.

Halsey didn’t know about the Spartan III program because it was done covertly by rivals within ONI and the UNSC.

> George was a Spartan II - and showed, in comparison to the Spartan IIIs, that the Spartan IIs were more stable.

How so?

> When is this mentioned? I just found this out looking around the forums. What confuses me is how this is possible. I thought Spartan III’s were started with Ghosts of Onyx and used in that conflict and the rest of them and the II’s are trapped on Onyx. Where did the Spartans in Reach come from and how are they also Spartan III’s considering that program was a secret even from Halsey until she got to Onyx.
>
> Also, there has to be a storyline lapse or something I’m missing. Reach then must have been after Onyx, and how the hell did Halsey escape to get back to Reach? And then where would the Spartans with her be as well and why werent they on Reach too?

CANON:
Spartan IIIs where started around 20 some years before Reach was invaded. There were thousands of Spartan IIIs made and most died in their missions. There were very few Spartan IIIs were left alive. In fact, the only ones confirmed to be alive are the ones that were released from Onyx. They were only sent on suicide missions. Reach wasn’t a suicide mission.

NON-CANON:
A group of Spartan IIIs were sent to Reach with a single Spartan II
Not canon because only very few people new about the Spartan IIIs. In fact, they aren’t even supposed to exist. The fact that Reach’s defense station leaders, soldiers, Jorge and Halsey knew about them breaks canon extremely. Like taking a chainsaw through butter.

The ones in Ghosts of Onyx were of Gamma company. Noble team is comprised of Spartan-III’s from Alpha and Beta companies or lone Spartan-III’s. Ghosts of Onyx is just when they first appeared in a Halo installment.

I know its kind of confusing because of what the Fall of Reach said, but video games are the higher in canon than books. And Jorge is a Spartan-II.

> NON-CANON:
> A group of Spartan IIIs were sent to Reach with a single Spartan II
> Not canon because only very few people new about the Spartan IIIs. In fact, they aren’t even supposed to exist. The fact that Reach’s defense station leaders, soldiers, Jorge and Halsey knew about them breaks canon extremely. Like taking a chainsaw through butter.

Wrong. Just because Noble Team was present on Reach doesn’t mean that everyone knew they were Spartan IIIs. It’s not like they were wearing badges with “we’re super secret soldiers…sssshhh” written on it. Standard personnel would see Spartans and that would be the end of it. Although Spartans were public knowledge at this point the details of them were not.

Jorge is like the IIIs of Noble in the sense that he was taken away from the main group of IIs without them knowing. Even Halsey believed he was dead. ONI snatched him away, presumably by lying and saying that he was one of the candidates who died during augmentation.

As for Halsey, when she met Noble she knew they weren’t her Spartans, but that is all. She still didn’t know about the Spartan IIIs, all she knew was that after her program more Spartans were made. To quote Halsey:

“Even more intriguing are the others on this NOBLE Team. They are considerably younger than Jorge…Are they all Spartan IIs?..Perhaps from a parallel program (JAVELIN?), or some next gen venture…”

So like I said, she knew there were other Spartans but knew nothing of the details surrounding them until she went to Onyx. This in no way conflicts with Ghost of Onyx.

> > NON-CANON:
> > A group of Spartan IIIs were sent to Reach with a single Spartan II
> > Not canon because only very few people new about the Spartan IIIs. In fact, they aren’t even supposed to exist. The fact that Reach’s defense station leaders, soldiers, Jorge and Halsey knew about them breaks canon extremely. Like taking a chainsaw through butter.
>
> Wrong. Just because Noble Team was present on Reach doesn’t mean that everyone knew they were Spartan IIIs. <mark>It’s not like they were wearing badges with “we’re super secret soldiers…sssshhh” written on it.</mark> Standard personnel would see Spartans and that would be the end of it. Although Spartans were public knowledge at this point the details of them were not.
>
> Jorge is like the IIIs of Noble in the sense that he was taken away from the main group of IIs without them knowing. Even Halsey believed he was dead. ONI snatched him away, presumably by lying and saying that he was one of the candidates who died during augmentation.
>
> As for Halsey, when she met Noble she knew they weren’t her Spartans, but that is all. She still didn’t know about the Spartan IIIs, all she knew was that after her program more Spartans were made. To quote Halsey:
>
> “Even more intriguing are the others on this NOBLE Team. They are considerably younger than Jorge…Are they all Spartan IIs?..Perhaps from a parallel program (JAVELIN?), or some next gen venture…”
>
> So like I said, she knew there were other Spartans but knew nothing of the details surrounding them until she went to Onyx. This in no way conflicts with Ghost of Onyx.

Wrong, considering the original canon with the original spartans basically all wore green. What we have here in Reach is a bloody double rainbow all the way across the sky into a damn marshmallow pot of gold.

We got blue, yellow, green, red, and lets not forget our no so silent protagonist: blackie. More favored towards questions, I would assume all the people they were bloody evacuating and all the military that they went into combat with will have a few questions of two considering most of the Spartan III operations before Reach was dealt with secrecy.

Switch 104 is correct except about Jorge. He was never taken from the other II’s.

> Switch 104 is correct except about Jorge. He was never taken from the other II’s.

Yes he was. Read Halsey’s journal.

> Switch 104 is correct except about Jorge. He was never taken from the other II’s.

Yes he was. Read Halsey’s journal.

@Hedronox, I’m not really sure what you are saying. Because Noble Team wore MJOLNIR that wasn’t green everyone who sees them would instantly know they weren’t IIs?

I explained how people they encountered wouldn’t know the difference between IIs and IIIs because they didn’t really know anything about the IIs in the first place. Standard military personnel were only aware of the Spartan’s existence and most had never seen them. How could they possibly know that the rest of Noble team were from a different group than Jorge? All they’d see is a group of Spartans, no distinction. If you can’t understand that then I don’t care.

That was very helpful, thanks.

> > NON-CANON:
> > A group of Spartan IIIs were sent to Reach with a single Spartan II
> > Not canon because only very few people new about the Spartan IIIs. In fact, they aren’t even supposed to exist. The fact that Reach’s defense station leaders, soldiers, Jorge and Halsey knew about them breaks canon extremely. Like taking a chainsaw through butter.
>
> Wrong. Just because Noble Team was present on Reach doesn’t mean that everyone knew they were Spartan IIIs. It’s not like they were wearing badges with “we’re super secret soldiers…sssshhh” written on it. Standard personnel would see Spartans and that would be the end of it. Although Spartans were public knowledge at this point the details of them were not.
>
> Jorge is like the IIIs of Noble in the sense that he was taken away from the main group of IIs without them knowing. Even Halsey believed he was dead. ONI snatched him away, presumably by lying and saying that he was one of the candidates who died during augmentation.
>
> As for Halsey, when she met Noble she knew they weren’t her Spartans, but that is all. She still didn’t know about the Spartan IIIs, all she knew was that after her program more Spartans were made. To quote Halsey:
>
> “Even more intriguing are the others on this NOBLE Team. They are considerably younger than Jorge…Are they all Spartan IIs?..Perhaps from a parallel program (JAVELIN?), or some next gen venture…”
>
> So like I said, she knew there were other Spartans but knew nothing of the details surrounding them until she went to Onyx. This in no way conflicts with Ghost of Onyx.

He is right.