No Zoom Popback when shot?

I’ve tried looking around for a forum post about this, but I’ve been unsuccessful. Maybe it’s just because I have absolutely no idea what the actual functionality is called, so I just made up “Zoom Popback”. =P It’s what happens in Halo when you’re shot while zoomed in, and you exit the zoom mode.

I noticed this with the ranged weapons in the MLG gameplay, and now again with the new sniper rifle gameplay. The player is still able to remain zoomed in while being shot.

At first, I didn’t think much of it, as I figured it would just be on the loadout weapons. I just hoped it would not affect the Sniper Rifle. However, now that the new gameplay has surfaced you can clearly see his shields go down while being zoomed in with the sniper.

I’m not complaining, just something I noticed. Although I haven’t played it, I feel I shall prefer the old way. We’ll see how it plays out, though… maybe I’ll end up liking it. I just used to always love laying down cover fire so we could traverse sniper territory unscathed. Now that the sniper will keep his zoom, it will be much more difficult.

Oh, God, I hope this isn’t true.

It was confirmed that this was only for E3.

You’re still in Zoom when shot…my guess is taht 343 made taht change to appeal to the “casuals”

the game hasn’t gone gold yet. things can change. it was only for E3.

> It was confirmed that this was only for E3.

Oh ok! well that makes me feel better. Do you by chance have a link? If not, I’ll take your word for it seeing as how I was too lazy to put links in my original post. But just in case you know where you got it from.

It was confirmed things were still being tweaked and this was more exclusive to the E3 build, it will likely change in the future.

I like it, always hated that I got popped out.

> It was confirmed things were still being tweaked and this was more exclusive to the E3 build, it will likely change in the future.

Thank god! Popback makes snipers tollerable.

> > It was confirmed things were still being tweaked and this was more exclusive to the E3 build, it will likely change in the future.
>
> Thank god! Popback makes snipers tollerable.

but it makes countering (or in some cases finding)someone shooting you at long range damn near impossible.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve just about zeroed in for a sniper headshot only to loose my target and be killed by someone pegging me in the foot with a DMR, when without popback a fraction of a second later he would be dead.
The goal should be faster kill times, not a continuation of the popback tango.

“Trust us, it feels like Halo!”

Only but they are quickly reducing whatever skill gap is left by putting in this mechanic. When developers start changing things that worked in the previous titles, that’s when you know things are going downhill.

> It was confirmed that this was only for E3.

Hopefully.

> > > It was confirmed things were still being tweaked and this was more exclusive to the E3 build, it will likely change in the future.
> >
> > Thank god! Popback makes snipers tollerable.
>
> but it makes countering (or in some cases finding)someone shooting you at long range damn near impossible.
>
> I can’t tell you how many times I’ve just about zeroed in for a sniper headshot only to loose my target and be killed by someone pegging me in the foot with a DMR, when without popback a fraction of a second later he would be dead.
> The goal should be faster kill times, not a continuation of the popback tango.

You sound like a sniper, and this announcement does affect u heavily, but to the rest of us people who use ANY other weapon, and dont camp in one unreachable spot all game, this popback is a relief!

> > > > It was confirmed things were still being tweaked and this was more exclusive to the E3 build, it will likely change in the future.
> > >
> > > Thank god! Popback makes snipers tollerable.
> >
> > but it makes countering (or in some cases finding)someone shooting you at long range damn near impossible.
> >
> > I can’t tell you how many times I’ve just about zeroed in for a sniper headshot only to loose my target and be killed by someone pegging me in the foot with a DMR, when without popback a fraction of a second later he would be dead.
> > The goal should be faster kill times, not a continuation of the popback tango.
>
> You sound like a sniper, and this announcement does affect u heavily, but to the rest of us people who use ANY other weapon, and dont camp in one unreachable spot all game, this popback is a relief!

I actually strive to be a well-rounded player, though I have been focusing on sniping lately. and I only camp when playing team snipers on hemmorage (it’s kinda hard not to when everybody else does it). But that was just an example.
Whatever the case, something I don’t think people realize is this is going to still penalize players that zoom, just differently. You won’t have your full range of view you normally have, only the narrowed, zoomed view, and if you get pegged from the side or behind, you have to do a manual popback in order to face your attacker, the amount of time required to realize this and react would pretty much leave you dead. between that and Promethean vision (that and I’m assuming 343 is developing maps that discourage camping), sniper camping is more than likely a thing of the past.

> > > It was confirmed things were still being tweaked and this was more exclusive to the E3 build, it will likely change in the future.
> >
> > Thank god! Popback makes snipers tollerable.
>
> but it makes countering (or in some cases finding)someone shooting you at long range damn near impossible.
>
> I can’t tell you how many times I’ve just about zeroed in for a sniper headshot only to loose my target and be killed by someone pegging me in the foot with a DMR, when without popback a fraction of a second later he would be dead.
> The goal should be faster kill times, not a continuation of the popback tango.

Yes, this has happened to everyone who snipes and it can get annoying, but I still have to disagree. When you have a sniper, the goal should be to remain unseen until you can pick someone off. This popback encourages that by forcing you to find a better vantage point or at least to hopefully slink away unnoticed. I fear sniping would be too powerful without it.

I like the popback, it sometimes helps me realize I need to get to cover. I just hope it was only in the E3 build.