No split-screen for beta

No split-screen for beta guys:

Super-super bummer for my wife and I.

I really hope that H5 doesn’t go Destiny-style local-single-player only.

Split screen will be in the final product as its a core part of the halo experiance. There aren’t achievements for 4 player split screen on the MCC for nothing. irrc many other beta’s didn’t have splitscreen.

It’s okay that the beta isn’t too stuffed with things that distract from the main purpose a beta has - matchmaking gameplay

Bummer

He specifically says beta, so unless he’s trying to hide the fact he’s gutting it (which seems silly), I think its just a beta thing. The beta seems highly focused on testing competitive arena gameplay with their new features. It’s more like a focus test as opposed to a beta. This isn’t necessarily bad, cause its focusing everyone’s attention on their new features while also trying to get right what they got wrong before.

Josh Holmes later clarified (on that same thread) that the final game will have up to 2 player split screen.

He also said the final version will have only 2 player split screen. That’s kind of a bummer,

> 2533274877056440;8:
> He also said the final version will have only 2 player split screen. That’s kind of a bummer,

This is also a trend that’s happened with Call of Duty, going from 4 player split screen to 2. I really hope this isn’t the case when the final game releases. I don’t see why restricting local players to 2 enhances the game in any way. This makes me more disappointed than MCCs matchmaking.

> 2533274877056440;8:
> He also said the final version will have only 2 player split screen. That’s kind of a bummer,

Wow, really? That’s pretty bad then. So now we won’t have any 4 player FPSs? I feel like they are screwing themselves over with this move. Lots of people have more than two people over and it’s so hard to find a game that will let you do 4 player splitscreen these days.

> 2533274877056440;8:

whyyyyyyyyyyyy

i’m cool with 2 player split screen, but who needs 4 players? i haven’t played 4 player split screen in years, nor have i really seen many players online play with more than 1 guest. and every time they did, man, those guests were bad. it was almost like a guaranteed win if you were against them.

> 2533274964246645;7:
> Josh Holmes later clarified (on that same thread) that the final game will have up to 2 player split screen.

ONLY 2 PLAYERS??!? 343 U HAVE NO IDEA WHAT U R DOING! I can’t even tell u how many times me and friends have done 4 player local. Halo was the only fps that could have 4 players local who you could take online. 343 I was starting to think that you guys knew what you were doing, but it’s clear that you guys don’t.

> 2533274819572408;12:
> i’m cool with 2 player split screen, but who needs 4 players? i haven’t played 4 player split screen in years, nor have i really seen many players online play with more than 1 guest. and every time they did, man, those guests were bad. it was almost like a guaranteed win if you were against them.

At school four-player offline splitscreen for MCC is the bomb. When you play Halo socially, four players is a necessity.

not surprised, it is after all a beta.

This is -Yoinking!- UNACCEPTABLE. Absolutely UNACCEPTABLE.

Local single-player only is a massive fail.

> 2533274819572408;12:
> i’m cool with 2 player split screen, but who needs 4 players? i haven’t played 4 player split screen in years, nor have i really seen many players online play with more than 1 guest. and every time they did, man, those guests were bad. it was almost like a guaranteed win if you were against them.

1. People who have to share an Xbox with family members because they can’t afford their own.

2. People who enjoy adding Halo to parties.

3. People who are generous to friends who can’t afford Xboxes by letting them play Halo with them on their own Xbox.

4. People who rely on 4-player splitscreen to make Machinimas due to how alert-carry is disabled on Xbox Live (minus H2A).

I live in a family of six, and we only have two Xboxes. All of us love Halo, love playing it, and the only way for us to play it together is by using 3-player splitscreen. But now, it looks like that’s no longer an option anymore. Mind you, I’m going to college next year and am currently saving up for an Xbox for me to take, but the roommate I’ll have night not have that same benefit and I’m more than certain that most nights of mine will be spent playing Halo with friends that I’ve acquired. Obviously, I don’t represent the entire community, but 4-player splitscreen IS and will ALWAYS be a defining trait of Halo and it’s absurd, unnecessary, and unacceptable for 343i to remove it.

> 2533274876631466;18:
> > 2533274819572408;12:
> > i’m cool with 2 player split screen, but who needs 4 players? i haven’t played 4 player split screen in years, nor have i really seen many players online play with more than 1 guest. and every time they did, man, those guests were bad. it was almost like a guaranteed win if you were against them.
>
>
> 1. People who have to share an Xbox with family members because they can’t afford their own.
>
> 2. People who enjoy adding Halo to parties.
>
> 3. People who are generous to friends who can’t afford Xboxes by letting them play Halo with them on their own Xbox.
>
> 4. People who rely on 4-player splitscreen to make Machinimas due to how alert-carry is disabled on Xbox Live (minus H2A).
>
> I live in a family of six, and we only have two Xboxes. All of us love Halo, love playing it, and the only way for us to play it together is by using 3-player splitscreen. But now, it looks like that’s no longer an option anymore. Mind you, I’m going to college next year and am currently saving up for an Xbox for me to take, but the roommate I’ll have night not have that same benefit and I’m more than certain that most nights of mine will be spent playing Halo with friends that I’ve acquired. Obviously, I don’t represent the entire community, but 4-player splitscreen IS and will ALWAYS be a defining trait of Halo and it’s absurd, unnecessary, and unacceptable for 343i to remove it.

This^^ :slight_smile:

I’m really hoping Josh Holmes misspoke and meant the Campaign will be up to 2 player split screen, because that’s nothing new. I’ve been pretty lenient on changes made over the years. I just adapt as I need to, but if it is indeed for matchmaking as well it’ll be the hardest change to deal with since I started playing Halo in 2001.

Whenever I get together with my friends to play we we’re generally all at someone’s house so we end up with at least 3 (usually 4) people on one screen. If they change things up we’ll have to go back to hauling someones Xbox around with them, having to take turns, or just staying home and play over live. It’s not the end of the world, but it’ll change we way my friends and I play Halo together and that kinda sucks.